2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

6 hours ago, doctoralwannabe said:

Congrats!!!! Wow UConn made their decisions so early!! (or do they normally announce it around this time?) 

I wonder if we will hear back from some other schools starting later this month..? 

Thank you! I honestly don’t know. I was not expecting to hear back so soon, that was a shocker. I heard back on January 4th. 

I will say this, a Professor of mine got a really nice letter from UPenn yesterday thanking him (almost a month after he sent his letter) for his thoughtful LOR on my behalf. I don’t know what that means, but he said that he has never received a personal thank you letter like that. The letter mentioned they would be announcing their decisions in February. 

cheers!

21 hours ago, Dartmouthbrian said:

Thank you! I honestly don’t know. I was not expecting to hear back so soon, that was a shocker. I heard back on January 4th. 

I will say this, a Professor of mine got a really nice letter from UPenn yesterday thanking him (almost a month after he sent his letter) for his thoughtful LOR on my behalf. I don’t know what that means, but he said that he has never received a personal thank you letter like that. The letter mentioned they would be announcing their decisions in February. 

cheers!

Wow! That sounds promising! Keep us posted.

21 hours ago, chidi321 said:

I want to study social media/technological affordances in the Global South. You?

That's interesting and if you're zeroing in on education can be even more prevalent with the transition to online schooling during COVID-19. I've heard that some villages, especially those impacted by natural disasters or earthquakes, have had to use learning school buses that have an internet connection and technology and travel from village to village. 

4 hours ago, NJGrad2025 said:

That's interesting and if you're zeroing in on education can be even more prevalent with the transition to online schooling during COVID-19. I've heard that some villages, especially those impacted by natural disasters or earthquakes, have had to use learning school buses that have an internet connection and technology and travel from village to village. 

Interesting perspective but I don't think this is unique to the Global South - seems overall like a digital divide issue. 

What are your interests? Why are you solely focusing on Rutgers? 

Thanks for this thread! 

Applied:

UT Austin | Cornell | Texas A&M | Kentucky | Mizzou | South Florida | Milwaukee-Wisconsin 

So far I have only heard from Texas A&M for a video interview.

Best of luck! ? 

Hello good people and thanks for this thread. 

2020 was tough so congrats to everyone on managing to put forward solid applications. No matter what happens, I believe the fact that we made the applications is a massive achievement. I applied to Columbia J school, NYU, Rutgers, UPenn, UT Austin, Indiana University, and Harvard (a different program). 
No feedback yet. Best of luck to you all. 

Thanks! 

Edited by jomo

5 hours ago, Dartmouthbrian said:

Heard back from UConn today, they offered full funding. Super excited.

Anyone heard anything from other schools? Crossing my fingers for everyone.

Congrats Brian! 

How exciting!!! 

I don't expect to hear back from my programs until Mid Feb / Early March.

Just now, crunchyfallleaves said:

Hello! did you inquire or did you get an email? i applied too but didn't hear anything from them along these lines

I asked them via email as I had another question regarding TOEFL waiver as an International applicant w/ degree holding from the US. 

Good Luck!!! 

On 1/14/2021 at 1:33 PM, Dartmouthbrian said:

Heard back from UConn today, they offered full funding. Super excited.

Anyone heard anything from other schools? Crossing my fingers for everyone.

Congratulations! I received an interview invitation from UCSB last week. 

I haven't heard back from UConn. Could I ask which program you applied?

17 hours ago, hiberation said:

Congratulations! I received an interview invitation from UCSB last week. 

I haven't heard back from UConn. Could I ask which program you applied?

Hey there. Thank you! Congrats on the interview invitation, that’s great. 

i applied to the Communications PhD and the Political Science PhD at UConn. 

my research interest can be served in Poli Sci, Sociology, or Comms. So I found schools that had Professors whose research interests aligned with my own and applied. 

1 hour ago, Dartmouthbrian said:

Hey there. Thank you! Congrats on the interview invitation, that’s great. 

i applied to the Communications PhD and the Political Science PhD at UConn. 

my research interest can be served in Poli Sci, Sociology, or Comms. So I found schools that had Professors whose research interests aligned with my own and applied. 

Thanks for sharing! Your application strategy sounds like very smart and effective.

Do you reach out to the professors before application?  I heard they usually have interviews before admission 

34 minutes ago, hiberation said:

Thanks for sharing! Your application strategy sounds like very smart and effective.

Do you reach out to the professors before application?  I heard they usually have interviews before admission 

I did not reach out to any Professors in either program. Which program did you hear usually has interviews?

Just now, Dartmouthbrian said:

I did not reach out to any Professors in either program. Which program did you hear usually has interviews?

The communication PhD. They said it on the website but I heard in some programs, if your material is very good, they may just jump the interview. 

2 hours ago, hiberation said:

The communication PhD. They said it on the website but I heard in some programs, if your material is very good, they may just jump the interview. 

Got it. What other schools/programs did you apply to?

Edited by Dartmouthbrian

12 minutes ago, Dartmouthbrian said:

Got it. What other schools/programs did you apply to?

I also applied to UT Austin, UIUC, cornell, UCSB, and UW Madison. Hopefully I will hear some good news back soon. Finger crossed to all of us?