2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

2 hours ago, lew334 said:

I am in a similar situation (radio silence from the U of Florida!!) If I were you, I would wait until eary next next to shoot the department chair or the coordinator an email for your application status.. I personally would feel more comforbale emailing DGS or the coordinator since PhD admission status might be an administrative issue.. 

I haven't heard anything from UF either, though it's an MA program. My status doesn't even say under review. My non-expert opinion is to email the people related to the department - I've found them the most helpful. Keep in mind I am a newbie, though. @lew334 - best of luck with UF! What program are you applying to?

1 minute ago, knight26 said:

I haven't heard anything from UF either, though it's an MA program. My status doesn't even say under review. My non-expert opinion is to email the people related to the department - I've found them the most helpful. Keep in mind I am a newbie, though. @lew334 - best of luck with UF! What program are you applying to?

I am applying to the PhD in Mass Communication. I sent an email to one of the staff at the School, and was told that the decisions should be going out from late Feb. to late Mar.. Best of luck to you as well!! 

Just now, lew334 said:

I am applying to the PhD in Mass Communication. I sent an email to one of the staff at the School, and was told that the decisions should be going out from late Feb. to late Mar.. Best of luck to you as well!! 

Thank you! I'm applying to their Political Campaigning program. I've never understood that broad timeframe. Maybe it's because I'm new to this but April 15 isn't THAT far away...how could you tell someone two weeks before they need to choose lol? Anyway, I've had my app in since December, I'm hoping the fact that neither of us have gotten rejected is good news. Is UF one of your top choices?

5 minutes ago, knight26 said:

Thank you! I'm applying to their Political Campaigning program. I've never understood that broad timeframe. Maybe it's because I'm new to this but April 15 isn't THAT far away...how could you tell someone two weeks before they need to choose lol? Anyway, I've had my app in since December, I'm hoping the fact that neither of us have gotten rejected is good news. Is UF one of your top choices?

I am trying to stay positive, too! But apprantly it is hard and I am pretty anxious...  UF is not one of my choices. My top choices have either put me on waitlist or have been keeping silent...?

Just received an email from Columbia. I was rejected. Did anyone else hear from the school?

This year was such a struggle. I applied to 5 schools- 4 rejected and 1 waitlisted. 

I don't have that much hope on the waitlist but praying for a miracle... 

Congrats to everyone who received an offer this year!! 

On 2/5/2021 at 8:50 PM, tabbykiki said:

Has anyone applied to Michigan State? Do you know if they do interviews?

What program or level did you apply to? Information & Media PhD? I was admitted into that program without an interview. But from the gradcafe results, I know some other people were interviewed. 

15 hours ago, knight26 said:

Yea, April 15th is right around the corner. It gives those of us still waiting little to no time to make a decision or plan to travel for any safe campus visits. I hope we all hear back this month so we have time to decide. Good luck everyone!

51 minutes ago, KatGrad757 said:

Yea, April 15th is right around the corner. It gives those of us still waiting little to no time to make a decision or plan to travel for any safe campus visits. I hope we all hear back this month so we have time to decide. Good luck everyone!

Thank you so much, right back at you! This is my first grad application cycle and my first time applying out of state and I really would like to visit campuses. We shall see.

Just now, an0nym0us said:

@xarx

@gizemnoktay

re georgia tech - i saw on results page that someone got waitlisted via phone. this makes me think acceptances must have already gone out too but i still haven’t heard anything either way... what about you both?

Hey

i contacted the professor I had an interview with and he advised me to contact the DM admin, which I did afterwards, but no word so far. It’s alarming to hear someone got waitlisted though. Is it for PhD? 

Just now, gizemnoktay said:

Hey

i contacted the professor I had an interview with and he advised me to contact the DM admin, which I did afterwards, but no word so far. It’s alarming to hear someone got waitlisted though. Is it for PhD? 

I contacted the DM admin on Monday and they said that the faculty is reviewing applications still and they will release the results as soon as they hear from them. I also saw a rejection for the DM program on 5th March and now this lone Waitlist. I am not exactly sure what's happening there. 

7 hours ago, donasen said:

What program or level did you apply to? Information & Media PhD? I was admitted into that program without an interview. But from the gradcafe results, I know some other people were interviewed. 

I applied to the Communication side, and ended up getting admitted as well - and I will be attending! Have you made up your mind if you are going to MSU this fall? 

Also, I was ultimately not interviewed either.

Edited by tabbykiki

56 minutes ago, tabbykiki said:

I applied to the Communication side, and ended up getting admitted as well - and I will be attending! Have you made up your mind if you are going to MSU this fall? 

I certainly would like to go. But I've been placed on funding waitlist and my hopes of attending depend on that. Have you been offered funding? 

1 hour ago, donasen said:

I certainly would like to go. But I've been placed on funding waitlist and my hopes of attending depend on that. Have you been offered funding? 

Yes, I was offered guaranteed funding for four years including summers.

10 hours ago, xarx said:

I contacted the DM admin on Monday and they said that the faculty is reviewing applications still and they will release the results as soon as they hear from them. I also saw a rejection for the DM program on 5th March and now this lone Waitlist. I am not exactly sure what's happening there. 

10 hours ago, gizemnoktay said:

Hey

Just heard back from admin that the results will come out on April 1st

On 3/17/2021 at 2:08 PM, tabbykiki said:

Yay, so we both got accepted to Michigan State. I think I will commit to MSU as well. I hope to see you at the open house tomorrow! 

6 hours ago, bbarbara said:

Yay, so we both got accepted to Michigan State. I think I will commit to MSU as well. I hope to see you at the open house tomorrow! 

Hey Barbara, what programme did you get admitted to at MSU? 

27 minutes ago, bbarbara said:

I was admitted to the Communication program at MSU!

That's fantastic! I was admitted into the  Information & Media PhD program. But I've been waitlisted for funding. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Would be nice to meet you there. 

Just got my decision letter from University of Maryland's PhD in Comms program.  I did not get in.  It was the only program I applied to.  While I have a robust career I love, I am bummed about this decision because this program would have been a really great pivot point for where I wanna take my career next.

Gonna go pour a glass of something and go feel sorry for myself for a few hours.  Then, onward and upward, as they say, to a different path to get where I want to go.

Wishing you all the very best as more decisions roll in over the next week or so.

Hello! Is anyone here still waiting to hear back from NYU MCC? I have already accepted another offer, but I am just wondering why they haven't yet told me anything about the status of my application: no waitlist or rejection! And it is so annoying!! 
So if anyone is in the same boat....