2021 Application Thread for Communications Program

1 hour ago, gizemnoktay said:

Ah, that is bad to hear but awesome you got at least three offers and for sure more than that! I thought of applying to HSTS, but then gave up. Where else are you waiting to hear from?

Yea I was crushed but there a lot more to look forward to. I'm still waiting to hear from McGill, University of Toronto, GA Tech, Northwestern, VCU and University of Maryland. 

1 hour ago, chidi321 said:

Me either!! But it seems they sent notifications out according to the results section.  

Im sure we'll hear from them soon since they started sending out decisions. I'm happy they're doing a waitlist this year though - usually they don't.

20 hours ago, KatGrad757 said:

Yea I was crushed but there a lot more to look forward to. I'm still waiting to hear from McGill, University of Toronto, GA Tech, Northwestern, VCU and University of Maryland. 

@KatGrad757

Also still waiting to hear from Maryland.  Did you interview with them or meet with any POI prior to or during the application process? 

Edited by MelissaConway

2 hours ago, MelissaConway said:

@KatGrad757

Also still waiting to hear from Maryland.  Did you interview with them or meet with any POI prior to or during the application process? 

No, I haven't heard from them at all. I did reach out to the admissions team and they said they've released a few decisions and will continue to over the next several weeks. So I guess they're just doing a slow roll out, unfortunately. I much prefer schools letting applications know whether it's a yes, no or waitlist so that we can plan accordingly. 

5 minutes ago, KatGrad757 said:

No, I haven't heard from them at all. I did reach out to the admissions team and they said they've released a few decisions and will continue to over the next several weeks. So I guess they're just doing a slow roll out, unfortunately. I much prefer schools letting applications know whether it's a yes, no or waitlist so that we can plan accordingly. 

I guess we're still in the running because, one would imagine, they would have already notified the absolute no/declines as part of the initial decision release wave.  I imagine this is a really competitive year across the board because it seems (based on updates in other places) that other departments throughout the university have been slow to roll out due to funding decisions/allocations from the university.

Wishing you lots of good luck, and fingers crossed for us both!

Edited by MelissaConway

I just heard back from Nebraska (rejected). I'm not upset at all because they were basically last on my list, but I STILL haven't heard from my #1, Mizzou. I am getting really nervous here. At this point, it feels like they might as well send a rejection.

I know it's hard everyone but let's try to remain positive and hopeful! Who knows, we might still get acceptances and/or waitlisted. Yea, we will probably also get rejections but there's still a chance. The show isn't over yet, folks! Especially as schools work their way down their maybe lists. It's still early March... a lot can happen in a few weeks. I know how badly we all want to get into our top choices and have multiple offers on the table. There's still time everyone :) 

8 hours ago, MelissaConway said:

I guess we're still in the running because, one would imagine, they would have already notified the absolute no/declines as part of the initial decision release wave.  I imagine this is a really competitive year across the board because it seems (based on updates in other places) that other departments throughout the university have been slow to roll out due to funding decisions/allocations from the university.

Wishing you lots of good luck, and fingers crossed for us both!

Yea, that's what I think. I feel optimistic but you ever know. We'll hear something sometime this month though. And thank you! I have my fingers crossed for you too!

Hey guys, I heard back from Florida State and they said that they are starting their rolling admissions process and should hear from them by April. However, over a month ago I received an email saying that they will shortlist interview candidates and give decisions out in March. Does that mean there will be interview sent out to those shortlisted in March? Or they already did the interviews and now they are just sending out rejections and acceptances?

19 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

Hey guys, I heard back from Florida State and they said that they are starting their rolling admissions process and should hear from them by April. However, over a month ago I received an email saying that they will shortlist interview candidates and give decisions out in March. Does that mean there will be interview sent out to those shortlisted in March? Or they already did the interviews and now they are just sending out rejections and acceptances?

I think they are still in the process and you still get chance to be invited for interview.

8 hours ago, otterman said:

I just got into the Communications M.A. program at Penn State Harrisburg! Didn't get any news regarding assistantships yet though.

This is my first ever acceptance and it feels good.

Cool! I am graduating from this program, if you have any question, you can ask me.

Just now, Larik001 said:

So they did not go through the interview process yet?

I don't think so. This is still a little early for them to finalize the admission. If you have not received "rejection," that means at this stage you are still given consideration for admission.

1 minute ago, twosweet said:

I don't think so. This is still a little early for them to finalize the admission. If you have not received "rejection," that means at this stage you are still given consideration for admission.

So they are still deciding who will get the interview and then make a decision afterwards correct?

6 hours ago, KatGrad757 said:

So, yesterday I received two more rejections - Uni of Toronto and Northwestern. It's looking like I'm going to go to accept Temple's offer ? Good luck everyone! 

I'm really interested in Temple's program -- Did you hear from them on funding?

24 minutes ago, Cdd2021 said:

I'm really interested in Temple's program -- Did you hear from them on funding?

Yes, I was offered a really good, fully-funded package that I'm happy with. Theres only 1 other school I'm still considering, but I've yet to hear from them. Temple did say that most students would hear about funding early April so if you haven't heard from them yet I wouldn't panic. (I heard from them early - earlier than most/normal I think - about my admissions decision too.) :) 

Hi Y'all!

Hope good news is still coming in! I am thinking having a Slack group for graduate students in Communication and Media Studies. If you are interested, please sign up at https://www.commate.org

Commate.org is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating a community for graduate students and emerging scholars in Mass Communication and Media Studies to network with peers and develop their professional experience. Here, people share opportunities and tips for conferences, publications, school/ job applications, and more.