Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

52 minutes ago, iheartscience said:

I had to go check - and yes, they did identify the names of my advisors in the acceptance letter. Between the admissions offer and accepting an admission, I had a number of contacts with these advisors and their other graduate students to help admitted folks make their decision, so one would definitely know and have spoken with one's advisors (and their current advisees) before starting the program. Honestly, it would be a big red flag if that wasn't the case. That is a really important part of the process of deciding where you want to spend 5-7 years of your life - getting a strong sense for what it is like to work with your potential advisor(s) and the experiences of other graduate students they work with is probably the most important part of the "post-admissions deciding phase," in terms of ensuring a positive graduate experience. 

FYI, it seems like the Stanford GSE has moved to a 2-advisor system, with a primary advisor one works most closely with and a secondary advisor who provides added perspective and support. Both of my advisors are known among the graduate students for being super supportive, which is an important message to listen for when making matriculation decisions. 

I am glad to hear your advisors are super supportive!

So bizarre to have never met them properly but then end up in what is a very long relationship.

Are there any advisors which are not supportive :( no problem if uncomfortable answering this 

Thanks to the person who posted this on the results page! 

"So, I notified MYSELF of my acceptance today. Hell, SGSE office is taking too long with my results, so I'ma assume I got in! :) I needed some comic relief!" 

Yes, MUCH NEEDED comic relief.

3 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

My update: 1.11 at night. Decided not to sleep because I won't be able to fall asleep anyway...so staring at my cell phone screen checking this forum and the results thread...

It should take a few more hours. You can set your alarm for 3 hours and sleep a bit.

Just now, RILE Hopeful said:

Do you all think we will find out today?

I really don't know! Computer Science results are still being posted. It took them 4 days.

1 minute ago, Lara-55555 said:

I thought the results would come out on friday. but, the sooner the better. 

I don't know whether you guys can relate but I stopped doing other things (I've got some important work to do, some deadlines etc but i cannot do other things as I am waiting for Stanford decision)..

I mean I cannot concentrate on other important things as I feel kind of tension in terms of expecting Stanford result and I want to get the results soon, in order to get relief and to ultimately focus on other things.

Also I was thinking: do they offer masters to all the rejected PhDs? Or only for those who identified they would agree for masters if rejected for PhD? 

Just now, Jeanne A. said:

I don't know whether you guys can relate but I stopped doing other things (I've got some important work to do, some deadlines etc but i cannot do other things as I am waiting for Stanford decision)..

I mean I cannot concentrate on other important things as I feel kind of tension in terms of expecting Stanford result and I want to get the results soon, in order to get relief and to ultimately focus on other things.

Also I was thinking: do they offer masters to all the rejected PhDs? Or only for those who identified they would agree for masters if rejected for PhD? 

I can relate to you. It's incredibly hard to focus on my work. I have another interview next week. but, it is so hard to prepare for that one cause of this. it would be so good if they posted the results now. we could all move on with life. 

i don't think they offer MAs to all PhD applicants. I'm pretty sure you had to write an additional SOP if you wanted to be considered for the MA. so, they would have to assess you with other MA applicants. but, that's just my guess. 

3 minutes ago, Lara-55555 said:

I can relate to you. It's incredibly hard to focus on my work. I have another interview next week. but, it is so hard to prepare for that one cause of this. it would be so good if they posted the results now. we could all move on with life. 

i don't think they offer MAs to all PhD applicants. I'm pretty sure you had to write an additional SOP if you wanted to be considered for the MA. so, they would have to assess you with other MA applicants. but, that's just my guess. 

Ok..i see..

Yes i think they mentioned during one of their webinars that an additional essay will be needed...just thinking over different possible scenarios...and thinking may be will go for masters...a lot of thoughts at night..and I am now literally like on this pic..staring at my phone in the dark of night...

20210212_013803.jpg

1 hour ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

I am glad to hear your advisors are super supportive!

So bizarre to have never met them properly but then end up in what is a very long relationship.

Are there any advisors which are not supportive :( no problem if uncomfortable answering this 

To be honest, I haven't talked to anyone that seems unhappy with their advisor at the GSE, but I've probably also had fewer opportunities to talk with more advanced students across different programs than I would have in a normal year where we would be on campus - I don't have a global pulse on GSE student experiences yet. 

In any case, it's always worth talking to a few different advisees of a POI to get a sense of their communication/support style and their strengths/areas of growth as an advisor, and feeling out if that match might support you personally to struggle productively through the challenges of graduate study. You're absolutely right - a long and important relationship! 

1 hour ago, ngdt said:

Thanks to the person who posted this on the results page! 

"So, I notified MYSELF of my acceptance today. Hell, SGSE office is taking too long with my results, so I'ma assume I got in! :) I needed some comic relief!" 

Yes, MUCH NEEDED comic relief.

Haha, I confess to the crime!

46 minutes ago, Jeanne A. said:

Me too. It has been very difficult.

50 minutes ago, Lara-55555 said:

Likewise it is hard to concentrate on work right now. I wish they would just tell us since they already most likely know?

2 minutes ago, gvjcb1000000 said:

Likewise it is hard to concentrate on work right now. I wish they would just tell us since they already most likely know?

Sure they do, but they can't afford to make any errors, so maybe checking and double-checking :)

1 hour ago, Jeanne A. said:

I believe that, if you wanted to be considered for a Master's degree in lieu of a PhD, you had to indicate it in your application and I had to complete additional aspects and short essays for the program I was interested in. According the FAQ page on GSEP Admissions:

"Apply for a PhD program and answer "Yes" to the question on the application form that asks you if you would like to be considered for a master’s program (indicate the master's program for which you would like to be considered). Your application will be considered by both the doctoral and the master’s admissions committees if there is a corresponding master’s program to your proposed area of doctoral study."