School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

2 hours ago, MoNils said:

Hi all,

I'm new to the thread but the schools I applied to for School Psychology PhDs are:

University of Maryland, Duquesne University, UMass Boston, Tulane University, University of South Florida, University of Virginia

I had applied to Temple Univ, but they told me a week before the deadline that the College of Ed no longer has enough funding to accept students for this cycle :( Did anyone else experience this with schools given the definite budgetary restrictions with the pandemic? I have not gotten any responses yet from any of my schools and it makes me worry about being able to get funding.

Good luck to everyone!

I originally had Loyola University Chicago on my list and they had the same issue. 

I emailed the POIs I was interested in and if they said they were taking students I applied there. 

I also applied to Maryland and Boston and know they have funding for students. Not sure about the other schools. 

Anyone else super anxious and feel like they are going to explode waiting for interview invitations lol. I feel like I am going to explode from having to wait and wanting to know so bad!! I applied to U of M and their program has a 45% acceptance which is pretty good, but all I've been able to do the last few months is look back at my application and think to myself what I should've done different or better hahaha. Anyone else literally going crazy?

1 hour ago, komerj said:

I originally had Loyola University Chicago on my list and they had the same issue. 

I emailed the POIs I was interested in and if they said they were taking students I applied there. 

I also applied to Maryland and Boston and know they have funding for students. Not sure about the other schools. 

Loyola isn’t taking ANY students this cycle? I heard it was going to be less but not that they wouldn’t take any

34 minutes ago, caitlynthomas said:

Anyone else super anxious and feel like they are going to explode waiting for interview invitations lol. I feel like I am going to explode from having to wait and wanting to know so bad!! I applied to U of M and their program has a 45% acceptance which is pretty good, but all I've been able to do the last few months is look back at my application and think to myself what I should've done different or better hahaha. Anyone else literally going crazy?

Yes!! I have reread my application materials so many times. Admittedly, I have let myself get way too excited about my top choice program (CU Denver) and it makes it all the more difficult to wait for a decision. Interview invites are still a month away and it feels like an eternity. I have been seeing that the number of applications for clinical psych programs has increased drastically this year -- hoping the same isn't true of school psych (though more people joining the profession would be a good thing). 

I hope you get good news from U of M!! :) 

1 hour ago, ctrsca said:

Yes!! I have reread my application materials so many times. Admittedly, I have let myself get way too excited about my top choice program (CU Denver) and it makes it all the more difficult to wait for a decision. Interview invites are still a month away and it feels like an eternity. I have been seeing that the number of applications for clinical psych programs has increased drastically this year -- hoping the same isn't true of school psych (though more people joining the profession would be a good thing). 

I hope you get good news from U of M!! :) 

I have done the same and gotten myself super hyped hahaha. I’m sure you will get good news from CU, I’m sending good luck your way!!! 

3 hours ago, Louisey said:

Loyola isn’t taking ANY students this cycle? I heard it was going to be less but not that they wouldn’t take any

I think they said 1-2. But the POI I wanted to work with said she probably wouldn’t be taking students. 

1 hour ago, Louisey said:

Who was your POI, if you don’t mind sharing? Loyola is my #1 ?

Ashley Mayworm! 
I relooked at the email and she said that they admit students in a cohort rather than to specific faculty. 

On 12/10/2020 at 6:11 PM, mardou said:

My POI is Courtnay Barrett, I hand an informal interview with her a couple weeks ago and she emailed me to schedule a formal interview with her. The process might be different for different POIs so don't worry too much about it.

I was just contacted by my POI reaffirming that he will be recommending me for a formal interview, but that formal decisions got pushed back until the week of Dec 20

Hi everyone!

I am applying to the following:

University of Northern Colorado (EdS)

University of Denver (EdS)

CU Denver (PsyD)

UCCS (MA clinical)

CCU (MA clinical)

I have not heard back from any yet!

21 hours ago, caitlynthomas said:

YUP. Last night I had a nightmare that I screwed up an interview and woke up in a sweaty panic ?

My top choice is University of Washington, and they were kind enough to send an email saying they were hoping to let everyone know either way about interviews on Jan 11, then final decisions on March 19. I really appreciated getting those dates and knowing that if I don't get an interview, I won't be waiting around, I'll actually be notified. I wish more schools were like that.

Just now, schoolpsychinprogress said:

YUP. Last night I had a nightmare that I screwed up an interview and woke up in a sweaty panic ?

My top choice is University of Washington, and they were kind enough to send an email saying they were hoping to let everyone know either way about interviews on Jan 11, then final decisions on March 19. I really appreciated getting those dates and knowing that if I don't get an interview, I won't be waiting around, I'll actually be notified. I wish more schools were like that.

Hahahha thank you! My boyfriend thinks I’m crazy because I seriously have dreams about getting accepted / not getting accepted so often ?? 
Yeah that’s awesome of Washington. I actually reached out to a grad student advisor to ask if they had sent interviews yet at University of Minnesota and all she said was “We’re working on some final details so we haven’t sent letters yet.” Ahhhhh I get it’s a crazy year but i’m going insane lol 

23 hours ago, caitlynthomas said:

Definitely losing my mind, probably mostly because I’m an online middle school math teacher trying to survive until Christmas break but also because I’m dying to hear back. This means a lot to me because I applied to school psych programs 2 years ago straight out of undergrad and got interview and waitlisted for University of Florida PHD and never got an interview for Ohio State Ed.s. Now I am graduating with my masters degree from the University of Georgia. This time around I am applying to the University of Florida, University of Georgia, and University of Utah, all PHD programs. Getting one acceptance letter from anywhere will mean the world to me! UF is my number one though. 
I haven’t heard anything except confirmation from UF they have all my letters of rec and an email to my UGA email with my POI Cc’d(also the program director so idk if that’s significant)  (even though I used my personal gmail on my application) inviting me to an information session (that I unfortunately could not attend because of work). I wish everyone the best of luck! I’m wondering if any interviews will be virtual because of COVID... part of me wants a vacation to Georgia & Utah, the other part of me doesn’t want to pay for flights (I live in FL) 

46 minutes ago, rachaelpfanz said:

Definitely losing my mind, probably mostly because I’m an online middle school math teacher trying to survive until Christmas break but also because I’m dying to hear back. This means a lot to me because I applied to school psych programs 2 years ago straight out of undergrad and got interview and waitlisted for University of Florida PHD and never got an interview for Ohio State Ed.s. Now I am graduating with my masters degree from the University of Georgia. This time around I am applying to the University of Florida, University of Georgia, and University of Utah, all PHD programs. Getting one acceptance letter from anywhere will mean the world to me! UF is my number one though. 
I haven’t heard anything except confirmation from UF they have all my letters of rec and an email to my UGA email with my POI Cc’d(also the program director so idk if that’s significant)  (even though I used my personal gmail on my application) inviting me to an information session (that I unfortunately could not attend because of work). I wish everyone the best of luck! I’m wondering if any interviews will be virtual because of COVID... part of me wants a vacation to Georgia & Utah, the other part of me doesn’t want to pay for flights (I live in FL) 

Omg, I cannot imagine being a teacher right now AND going through the application process! You're amazing!

47 minutes ago, rachaelpfanz said:

Hang in there, from a fellow middle school teacher! We will get through this! 

4 minutes ago, schoolpsychinprogress said:

Is anyone else applying to PhD programs straight out of undergrad? Currently in my senior year of college and feel like a baby?

When I applied my first time around it was straight out of undergrad and I graduated early so I was only 20 and felt like a CHILD. That was two years ago and I have grown up so much since then!! When I interviewed at UF most everyone was straight out of undergrad so I’m sure you’re not alone this cycle be confident!! :) 

Edited by rachaelpfanz

2 hours ago, rachaelpfanz said:

I’m a middle school teacher too! 6th grade language arts! I’m student teaching so not as much work as yours so props to you ?

I think most if not all of the interviews will probably be virtual, and i’m definitely sad about it. I understand why but I was hoping to take a trip haha

1 hour ago, schoolpsychinprogress said:

Is anyone else applying to PhD programs straight out of undergrad? Currently in my senior year of college and feel like a baby?

I’m a senior right now too! I definitely feel young and when I look at the demographics of my PhD program it seems most of them are 25+ which adds to all of my nervousness I’m already feeling ?

hello all! 

I applied to the following: 

Lehigh (PhD)

Northeastern (PhD)

University of Virginia (PhD)

University of Connecticut (PhD)

University of South Florida (PhD)

University of Southern Mississippi (PhD)

University of Massachusetts Boston (PhD) 

University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (PhD)

East Carolina University (pediatric school ; health PhD)

good luck to everyone!  also ~ I turned in my apps a little close to the deadline ~ I don't know if that matters or not in terms of consideration!  I hope not!

12 hours ago, mjk20 said:

hello all! 

I applied to the following: 

Lehigh (PhD)

Northeastern (PhD)

University of Virginia (PhD)

University of Connecticut (PhD)

University of South Florida (PhD)

University of Southern Mississippi (PhD)

University of Massachusetts Boston (PhD) 

University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (PhD)

East Carolina University (pediatric school ; health PhD)

good luck to everyone!  also ~ I turned in my apps a little close to the deadline ~ I don't know if that matters or not in terms of consideration!  I hope not!

Definitely shouldn't matter - I've been working on my apps since the summer and didn't end up actually submitting them until within the week of the deadline. I also applied to UVA and UNC Chapel Hill! So anxious about hearing back. Who were your POIs for those schools?

41 minutes ago, schoolpsychinprogress said:

Definitely shouldn't matter - I've been working on my apps since the summer and didn't end up actually submitting them until within the week of the deadline. I also applied to UVA and UNC Chapel Hill! So anxious about hearing back. Who were your POIs for those schools?

I applied to those two as well! AW and JD for UVA and DE and MM for UNC. 

19 hours ago, schoolpsychinprogress said:

I am!

20 hours ago, rachaelpfanz said:

Student Teacher in SPED here! This semester has been a mess trying to line everything up but we made it!

2 hours ago, schoolpsychinprogress said:

oh good ?

for UVA i'm applying to MM and none for UNC.  I emailed SE at UNC about advisement, and she explained that their acceptance is not based on matching with a specific member of their core faculty. 

what about you?