School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

Hi Everyone! So glad I found this thread :) Any information about how COVID may impact this admissions cycle? I'm wondering if programs will take more or less applicants.

I applied to: 

University of Washington (PhD)

Pace University (PhD) 

St. Johns University (PsyD)

Rutgers University (PsyD)

Hofstra University (PsyD)

University of Houston (PhD)

University of Colorado-Denver (PsyD)

University of North Carolina (PhD)

Best wishes to all! 

3 hours ago, JakiraJakira said:

Hey everyone! 

I'm in close contact with my advisor who has taught courses in my universities school psychology program (although she is faculty in a different program within the department)

She helped me develop a list of interview questions and things to think about prior to interview season. 

It's a little long, and sometimes redundant but I figured I would share it with fellow applicants who are just as excited as me. 

I have attached the word doc to this reply. 

I hope it helps!

Potential Interview Questions and Responses.docxUnavailable

This is so helpful!!!! Thanks so much for this! Now hopefully I get an interview invite soon so I can use it lol

2 of the schools I have applied to have emailed me today saying they are closing for the holidays and will resume processing and sending out decisions Jan 4th.

Looks like it's gonna be another 2 weeks to have some closure or more. Sounds like they just had a lot more apply than normal, that's my gut feeling. Time for me to think about applying to 4-5 more EdS programs as contingency plans.

Congrats to all the teachers(including myself) who made it to Winter break!!! I was snooping on the results page       (because what else am I going to do in between obsessively checking my email) and saw someone got an interview for the University of Georgia on Friday. If you don’t mind me asking who your PI is? Also had you communicated with them before or is this the first time they contacted you? I applied & haven’t heard anything. Thank you! 

Congrats to all the teachers(including myself) who made it to Winter break!!! I was snooping on the results page       (because what else am I going to do in between obsessively checking my email) and saw someone got an interview for the University of Georgia on Friday. If you don’t mind me asking who your PI is? Also had you communicated with them before or is this the first time they contacted you? I applied & haven’t heard anything. Thank you! 

18 minutes ago, rachaelpfanz said:

Hi! PI is SF. I emailed PI's at most of the schools I applied to but UGA was actually one of the programs I did not have contact with anyone at before I applied. Which PI did you apply to for UGA? I'm pretty sure every PI sends informal interviews at different times/days (at least that's what I'm hoping because I saw a few people got emails from UVA too and I haven't heard back from them either). UGA was the first school I've heard anything from. 

Just now, Sunkay123 said:

Hi! PI is SF. I emailed PI's at most of the schools I applied to but UGA was actually one of the programs I did not have contact with anyone at before I applied. Which PI did you apply to for UGA? I'm pretty sure every PI sends informal interviews at different times/days (at least that's what I'm hoping because I saw a few people got emails from UVA too and I haven't heard back from them either). UGA was the first school I've heard anything from. 

Thank you!! I’m figuring if it’s up to the PI, the invites will come in at different times. Thank you so much for easing my nerves. My PI is SA. 

Edited by rachaelpfanz

1 hour ago, schoolpsychinprogress said:

Has anyone who applied to Syracuse heard back about interviews? Or heard anything about when invites would be sent out?

I applied to Syracuse but haven't heard anything yet. I'm guessing that they'll probably start sending out invites Jan 4th after the holidays.

I saw a couple people here who applied to UC Berkeley and have commented. 
Just wanted to share something that made me reconsider the program.

This year the APA accreditation committee voted and placed it on probation. This may mean it may be hard to get an accredited internship after completing the program. 

On 12/17/2020 at 5:06 PM, JakiraJakira said:

Do you suggest directing funding questions to current students rather than professors or POI we want to work with? To avoid exaggerated claims about funding and get a more accurate story?

If you have the opportunity I would try and talk to current students because they’ll probably be more honest about funding and how they are living in terms of their finances (like if it easy/hard to live on the stipend, how many credits are actually covered, etc). It might be helpful to say you want a really honest answer. If you know your POI well then you could ask them. I’m sure professors know how much funding new students will get but they might not be able to fully disclose that info. Overall I found that answers from current students were more honest and helpful to me than what I heard from professors. 

21 hours ago, JakiraJakira said:

I saw a couple people here who applied to UC Berkeley and have commented. 
Just wanted to share something that made me reconsider the program.

This year the APA accreditation committee voted and placed it on probation. This may mean it may be hard to get an accredited internship after completing the program. 

Great point to bring up! I reached out to a recent grad of the program who explained that the APA recently adjusted its accredidation criteria. Berkeley updated its curriculum accordingly last semester so that it mandated final exams for each class (rather than a final paper as it did for some courses). The grad is currently in an APA internship and told me that matching into one was no issue for him. Another comforting note he mentioned is that the department chair is the new APA president haha

17 hours ago, maybeschoolpsych21 said:

Great point to bring up! I reached out to a recent grad of the program who explained that the APA recently adjusted its accredidation criteria. Berkeley updated its curriculum accordingly last semester so that it mandated final exams for each class (rather than a final paper as it did for some courses). The grad is currently in an APA internship and told me that matching into one was no issue for him. Another comforting note he mentioned is that the department chair is the new APA president haha

That’s good to know. I didn’t know that courses had to have final exams to meet APA accreditation. 
The majority of my undergrad courses have had final projects or papers rather than exams. 

Hi everyone! Happy to have found this website. 

Congrats to all the teachers applying this cycle. I am an elementary teacher myself and it felt amazing to be on the first day of break today. 

These are the schools I applied to:

University of Utah 

University of Montana 

University of Washington 

University of Oregon 

University of Arizona 

Tulane 

University of Virginia 

Northern Arizona University 

So far I have an interview with Montana but have not heard from anywhere else. I am assuming that Tulane and UVA are a no since others have started to hear from them last week. 

Has anyone heard from Oregon yet? 

Good luck! 

On 12/1/2020 at 7:45 PM, dmay96 said:

Hi everyone! I hope application season is going smoothly for you all! Here are the programs I am applying for: 

University of Oregon (PhD)

University of Washington (EdS)

Lewis and Clark (EdS)

Seattle University (EdS) 

Central Washington University (EdS)

Gonzaga University (EdS)

Would love to connect with any of you who are also looking at these PNW schools :)

Best of luck!

Hi! I also applied to University of Oregon Phd and University of Washington (except PHD). Have you heard anything from Oregon yet? Good luck!! 

Just now, Southwestteacher said:

Hi! I also applied to University of Oregon Phd and University of Washington (except PHD). Have you heard anything from Oregon yet? Good luck!! 

Still nothing from Oregon :( I thought we were supposed to hear back on Friday but I’m thinking they got a lot of applications and it must be taking longer for them to get through than expected. Fingers crossed we hear back soon!! 

Just now, dmay96 said:

Still nothing from Oregon :( I thought we were supposed to hear back on Friday but I’m thinking they got a lot of applications and it must be taking longer for them to get through than expected. Fingers crossed we hear back soon!! 

Yes, fingers crossed!! 

Just recieved an email from University of Florida EdS program that I was not selected for an interview. However, the email and wording was pretty strange.

It read that I was not offered an initial interview, but that it explicitly said that did not mean I was not qualified for this or any other program. They had recieved a lot more applications than normal. I was also not rejected, and I may get an interview at a later date when they could bring in the next tier of qualified candidates in April. They didn't require a GRE, and my GPA is 3.9, letters should be outstanding, and I'm a strong writer as far as the personal statement goes. I emailed to follow up.

Can anyone tell me what's going on with the process this year? This is kind of disconcerting to say the least.

5 hours ago, The_Garnet_Comet said:

Just recieved an email from University of Florida EdS program that I was not selected for an interview. However, the email and wording was pretty strange.

It read that I was not offered an initial interview, but that it explicitly said that did not mean I was not qualified for this or any other program. They had recieved a lot more applications than normal. I was also not rejected, and I may get an interview at a later date when they could bring in the next tier of qualified candidates in April. They didn't require a GRE, and my GPA is 3.9, letters should be outstanding, and I'm a strong writer as far as the personal statement goes. I emailed to follow up.

Can anyone tell me what's going on with the process this year? This is kind of disconcerting to say the least.

I am so sorry. I can only imagine how disappointed you are. It’s rough they has so many applicants that they have to put qualified applicants like you on what sounds like the waitlist. I applied to the UF PHD program and got an interview invite today, here’s the language they used: 

The Admissions Committee of the School Psychology Program (SPP) at the University of Florida has completed its review of applications to identify the most qualified candidates to invite for an “on-campus” interview for admission in Fall, 2021. I am pleased to inform you that your application was favorably reviewed and that we would like to invite you to interview for admission. 

so it sounds like they’ve had to turn a lot of qualified people away. 
don’t get too down, there are other schools for you to hear from!! Best of luck to you, it’s all going to work out I promise!!