15 hours ago, mjk20 said:

hello all! 

I applied to the following: 

Lehigh (PhD)

Northeastern (PhD)

University of Virginia (PhD)

University of Connecticut (PhD)

University of South Florida (PhD)

University of Southern Mississippi (PhD)

University of Massachusetts Boston (PhD) 

University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (PhD)

East Carolina University (pediatric school ; health PhD)

good luck to everyone!  also ~ I turned in my apps a little close to the deadline ~ I don't know if that matters or not in terms of consideration!  I hope not!

also ~ sorry to "quote" myself ~ I forgot to ask a question!  I have only received email notifications that my Northeastern, UMassBoston, and ECU applications are under review!  has anyone else applied to these schools and received acknowledgement of review?

tyty!

47 minutes ago, mjk20 said:

oh good ?

for UVA i'm applying to MM and none for UNC.  I emailed SE at UNC about advisement, and she explained that their acceptance is not based on matching with a specific member of their core faculty. 

what about you?

Do you think it could still be helpful to mention POI's in the UNC statement even if they don't follow an advisor advisee model?

Just now, Sunkay123 said:

Do you think it could still be helpful to mention POI's in the UNC statement even if they don't follow an advisor advisee model?

omg yes of-course!! since we are applying to a research-based program as PhD applicants, I think it's imperative to show engagement with the current projects & faculty even if they make admission decisions as a committee and not individually.  {I am no expert but that is my take!}

1 hour ago, mjk20 said:

oh good ?

for UVA i'm applying to MM and none for UNC.  I emailed SE at UNC about advisement, and she explained that their acceptance is not based on matching with a specific member of their core faculty. 

what about you?

Oh ok! I'm applying to ML at UVA but I also wrote about MM on my UNC statement of purpose.

2 minutes ago, caitlynthomas said:

Thinking this is probably the week a lot of us will start hearing back from schools about interviews... good luck to everyone and I hope we all hear back from our #1's!!!

I hope so! 

I got lucky and already heard back from my #1 about an interview. I'm trying not to get too attached though to any specific program as my real #1 is any program where I get in with funding, have an interest in a POI and my fiancé gets in to a nearby MSW program. 

Crossing my fingers that he hears back soon from Wisconsin as well!

This is my first round of applications and I was just wondering if anyone knows... are fields like school psych / dev psych as competitive as it sounds like clinical psych is? I've been looking at the clinical psych boards (because what else am I going to do but anxiously refresh this website 800 times a day) and from the sounds of it, clinical psych is ridiculously competitive and a few people were even saying it's rare for people to get in right out of undergrad. Anyone know if this is similar for school and dev psych? That it takes a few rounds of applying to get in?

I understand  the struggle!! So from my experiences, I feel that most are applying straight out of undergrad so I’m assuming most accepted are straight out of undergrad. People at my UF interview were talking about how much less competitive school psych is than clinical psych. I will say if you don’t get in right out of undergrad like me, it’sfor a reason. I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the moment, but these past 2 years have been the best years of my life and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. It might be scary, but you will make it! 

55 minutes ago, caitlynthomas said:

This is my first round of applications and I was just wondering if anyone knows... are fields like school psych / dev psych as competitive as it sounds like clinical psych is? I've been looking at the clinical psych boards (because what else am I going to do but anxiously refresh this website 800 times a day) and from the sounds of it, clinical psych is ridiculously competitive and a few people were even saying it's rare for people to get in right out of undergrad. Anyone know if this is similar for school and dev psych? That it takes a few rounds of applying to get in?

I understand  the struggle!! So from my experiences, I feel that most are applying straight out of undergrad so I’m assuming most accepted are straight out of undergrad. People at my UF interview were talking about how much less competitive school psych is than clinical psych. I will say if you don’t get in right out of undergrad like me, it’sfor a reason. I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the moment, but these past 2 years have been the best years of my life and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. It might be scary, but you will make it! 

1 hour ago, caitlynthomas said:

I have heard on the School Psychology subreddit that the majority of admits to PhD programs in this field are coming straight from undergrad. It also seems to be the case at a few of the schools, I have had the chance to talk to current students about. 

Without research experience it may be hard to get into some schools, but the only schools I know rarely take students straight out of undergrad in School Psych are UC Santa Barbara (Clinical/Counseling/School Combined) and UVA (Clinical/School). 

Good luck to you!

Edited by komerj

54 minutes ago, rachaelpfanz said:

I understand  the struggle!! So from my experiences, I feel that most are applying straight out of undergrad so I’m assuming most accepted are straight out of undergrad. People at my UF interview were talking about how much less competitive school psych is than clinical psych. I will say if you don’t get in right out of undergrad like me, it’sfor a reason. I was EXTREMELY disappointed in the moment, but these past 2 years have been the best years of my life and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. It might be scary, but you will make it! 

That is very reassuring! I am really nervous about not getting in, but I will definitely be reapplying and I'm happy to hear your experience, that makes me less anxious haha, thanks!!

35 minutes ago, komerj said:

I have heard on the School Psychology subreddit that the majority of admits to PhD programs in this field are coming straight from undergrad. It also seems to be the case at a few of the schools, I have had the chance to talk to current students about. 

Without research experience it may be hard to get into some schools, but the only schools I know rarely take students straight out of undergrad in School Psych are UC Santa Barbara (Clinical/Counseling/School Combined) and UVA (Clinical/School). 

Good luck to you!

That's good to know! In the clinical forum it sounds like a lot of them have years of experience or MA degress so I'm glad the school psych is more of a level field it sounds like. I have some research experience so hopefully I will be okay. Thanks for the input!!

46 minutes ago, komerj said:

University of Cincinnati sent their invites out today!

Unfortunately, it was for the same day and time as the U of Wisconsin interview... Hopefully they have an alternative

I also got sent an invite for UC! I hope you're still able to interview :) I'm sure with things being virtual they will be easier to reschedule this year. Best of luck!!

3 hours ago, komerj said:

University of Cincinnati sent their invites out today!

Unfortunately, it was for the same day and time as the U of Wisconsin interview... Hopefully they have an alternative

Indiana University also sent out invites. 

Has anyone else not heard back from any schools yet? I know it's still early but I've seen a ton of people hearing back from clinical programs so maybe school programs just take longer? I applied to these schools and as far as I know only UCSB has sent out invites.

University of Florida

University of South Florida

Florida International University (clinical child)

University of Georgia

University of North Carolina

UC Riverside

UC Santa Barbara

North Carolina State University

University of Virginia

Just now, Sunkay123 said:

Has anyone else not heard back from any schools yet? I know it's still early but I've seen a ton of people hearing back from clinical programs so maybe school programs just take longer? I applied to these schools and as far as I know only UCSB has sent out invites.

University of Florida

University of South Florida

Florida International University (clinical child)

University of Georgia

University of North Carolina

UC Riverside

UC Santa Barbara

North Carolina State University

University of Virginia

I haven't heard back either. I'm really hoping we hear back before Christmas but that's starting to look like it's not going to happen!

Just got an email from Northern Illinois (PhD - though, it seems it went out to EdS applicants too!). The email said they will send invites mid-January and the interview day will be February 19. Just thought this would be helpful for people planning. Also goes to show some programs won’t be sending out invites until January!

Hey y'all, here's where I applied to this cycle.

UNC Chapel Hill PhD

Winthrop EdS

Western Carolina EdS

Georgia State EdS

Georgia Southern Eds

UGA PhD

UF EdS

FSU PhD

FSU EdS

Already contacted PI at FSU and UGA and got very positive responses. I have been asked to join a lab already regardless of where I end up and another program across the country has shown interest and so I'll probably apply there too.

I have not heard back from anywhere yet, and every single one of my applications is 100% finished. I'm assuming this is the week invites will go out, but who knows with COVID.

I’m not upset about it taking so long because I get it’s a confusing time and lots of applicants... I just wish they’d send out confirmation emails, or emails saying “it’s taking awhile we’ll get back by [x] date” so I can relax instead of spending every moment of my life on this website ?

Just now, caitlynthomas said:

I’m not upset about it taking so long because I get it’s a confusing time and lots of applicants... I just wish they’d send out confirmation emails, or emails saying “it’s taking awhile we’ll get back by [x] date” so I can relax instead of spending every moment of my life on this website ?

The thing is we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. Some reports say applications are up, some say they'll be historically down. The thing I know for sure is a lot of the processing and such is being done remote and virtually, and most of the processors are working from home so it's not a typical cycle.

Schools due on Dec 1st will hopefully start sending invites out before they break for the holidays, but with interviews almost assuredly being remote too, they have some wiggle. I am also terrified of not getting in this cycle because my job is a nightmare and if I don't get back to school I'm going to have to change gears and move on from psych. Gotta have some faith.

Just now, The_Garnet_Comet said:

The thing is we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. Some reports say applications are up, some say they'll be historically down. The thing I know for sure is a lot of the processing and such is being done remote and virtually, and most of the processors are working from home so it's not a typical cycle.

Schools due on Dec 1st will hopefully start sending invites out before they break for the holidays, but with interviews almost assuredly being remote too, they have some wiggle. I am also terrified of not getting in this cycle because my job is a nightmare and if I don't get back to school I'm going to have to change gears and move on from psych. Gotta have some faith.

Very true. I can't imagine having to go through applications from home especially with there being potentially a lot more... or even a lot less than normal.

My app was due November 15th but my PI told me they did have more applicants than normal so it makes sense. I'm holding out hope that I hear back by Christmas.

Best of luck to you, I am sure things will work out for you! Hopefully we all can have some of our anxiety eased soon.

Hi everyone! I applied to Riverside, Santa Barbara and Berkeley; would love to updates anyone has about these schools :) I haven't heard anything yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Edited by maybeschoolpsych21
I intended to make this a separate post about Berkeley ahh!