Fall 2021 Religion PhD

alizeh55

23 minutes ago, beorn1968 said:

Still waiting on UVA Religious studies. Has anyone heard anything from them? Interview etc?

No word from them yet! The professor I spoke to in my subfield seemed doubtful that there would be formal interviews.

Well, this just got quite exciting. I got a status update, went to check the portal, and the message began, "I regret to inform you that your application...was reviewed." I was baffled until Drew informed me that I was waitlisted. Now that was what I was not expecting.

Still, better than being turned down outright! Whew.

1 hour ago, crossroadsph said:

Well, this just got quite exciting. I got a status update, went to check the portal, and the message began, "I regret to inform you that your application...was reviewed." I was baffled until Drew informed me that I was waitlisted. Now that was what I was not expecting.

Crossing my fingers for you to make it off the wait list!

1 hour ago, crossroadsph said:

So stoked for you!!

14 minutes ago, beorn1968 said:

after the petty  toxicity of my last academic program this forum helps me believe in humanity again. thank you all

Very grateful for the support of this community, too, and very humbled by everyone's kindness and humanity.

I think this year and last year, and probably the next couple of years are going to be very different from the ones that came before in terms of phd admissions and the job market.

My first choice fell through two(?) weeks ago. I cannot see myself anywhere else and it was a major blow, esp. because something glitched with them last year and I didn't hear back until July. (I think the department decided not to let my requested primary be a primary supervisor because he is not full faculty but anyway...) After rewriting the app and requesting a full faculty member with the other guy as secondary and getting bad news again this round I dropped everything and went hiking with a friend in Sedona for a week and I'm feeling a lot better. Opening now to the idea of taking a few years off and doing research and something that involves traveling.. It is a slow and painful opening, as I'm waiting now for three more programs..

In other news.. USC just emailed and I did not get in. I guess I am not surprised going by their current student bios and areas of specialization but yeah.. I am so glad my MA program covered application fees because man this whole rejection thing is rough.

5 minutes ago, courtak said:

I think this year and last year, and probably the next couple of years are going to be very different from the ones that came before in terms of phd admissions and the job market.

My first choice fell through two(?) weeks ago. I cannot see myself anywhere else and it was a major blow, esp. because something glitched with them last year and I didn't hear back until July. (I think the department decided not to let my requested primary be a primary supervisor because he is not full faculty but anyway...) After rewriting the app and requesting a full faculty member with the other guy as secondary and getting bad news again this round I dropped everything and went hiking with a friend in Sedona for a week and I'm feeling a lot better. Opening now to the idea of taking a few years off and doing research and something that involves traveling.. It is a slow and painful opening, as I'm waiting now for three more programs..

In other news.. USC just emailed and I did not get in. I guess I am not surprised going by their current student bios and areas of specialization but yeah.. I am so glad my MA program covered application fees because man this whole rejection thing is rough.

I think that's a positive view of looking at the situation. In my experience, fit has become the main factor this cycle given how reduced spots are. Yeah, USC has very narrow preferences for what kinds of students they want given it's such a small program. My top choice was not even accepting applicants this year, so I am getting major fomo. 

14 minutes ago, sayf said:

I think that's a positive view of looking at the situation. In my experience, fit has become the main factor this cycle given how reduced spots are. Yeah, USC has very narrow preferences for what kinds of students they want given it's such a small program. My top choice was not even accepting applicants this year, so I am getting major fomo. 

The thing is--with the faculty on offer I felt like it was still a good fit, I just saw that the kind of student they had taken in past cohorts was a bit different from me.

Maybe it was inescapable for Religion/Philosophy to lose places with the pandemic but I feel gypped.

4 hours ago, crossroadsph said:

OMG!!! Yay!!! ^_^   

5 hours ago, crossroadsph said:

Hoping for the best for you!

5 hours ago, crossroadsph said:

all the best and solidarity

6 hours ago, beorn1968 said:

after the petty  toxicity of my last academic program this forum helps me believe in humanity again. thank you all

Right? So many of us are technically competing against one another for spots, but this thread is nothing but solidarity, showing it’s truly not a competition and we are genuinely good people who want the best for others as well as ourselves. I think that in and of itself will get us all very far in life ❤️ 

6 minutes ago, Emory said:

Does anyone have any insight or info on BU for the theology PhD? From previous years, it looks like they should be releasing decisions any day now.

My partner interviewed and they said to expect decisions around the end of the month (February) for BU. 

Edited by arewethereyet
Typo

2 minutes ago, hindia94 said:

I've also applied to UCLA... the wait is unbearable...
I emailed a couple of weeks ago and they said decisions should be coming out soon... but not sure what "soon" means ?

Thanks! Yeah it’s tough to just not know anything. 

What sub field did you apply to. 

Just now, TylerJarvis said:

Thanks! Yeah it’s tough to just not know anything. 

What sub field did you apply to. 

Islamic Studies! You?
Judging by previous years some results usually go out around this time, but who knows what's going on this year

Just now, hindia94 said:

Islamic Studies! You?
Judging by previous years some results usually go out around this time, but who knows what's going on this year

Hebrew Bible! maybe we’ll both get good news and be colleagues!

A friend of mine was accepted last year and she knew by this point. But when I texted her she said she didn’t think they’d sent anything out to anyone yet. So who knows? But I’m definitely getting antsy. Especially with rejections from other places coming in. 

3 minutes ago, TylerJarvis said:

Hebrew Bible! maybe we’ll both get good news and be colleagues!

A friend of mine was accepted last year and she knew by this point. But when I texted her she said she didn’t think they’d sent anything out to anyone yet. So who knows? But I’m definitely getting antsy. Especially with rejections from other places coming in. 

Fingers crossed! Lemme know if you hear anything

Can she give them a nudge to hurry up? haha :P