Fall 2021 Religion PhD

alizeh55

30 minutes ago, thiscalltoarms said:

No idea in terms of Fordham, but I do know from sources in a couple other programs that those schools with 3-4 tracks used to (pre-covid) start by take 2 students per track and then there would be a few remaining spots (2-4 school depending) that would be selected based on best available. So some years you'd get 4 systematics and 2 biblical studies and 2 ethics and others it might be 3 per track or 4 ethics and 2 of the others. Further complicating it, the waitlist might mean that you are the runner up for that track only but not the next best available over all... so depending who says no you might or might not get off the list. 

It's basically chaos! And every school has a different strategy and different internal politics.

Second this. From what I know, it varies from school as to how they manage sub-field quotas. 

I received this email yesterday from Villanova's Ph.D.
"We have now completed phase one of this year’s admissions cycle and I am pleased to inform you that you are among this year’s semi-finalists for admission with funding. Congratulations!"

Has anyone here been through the interview process at VU? Also, I am unsure if this means I am interviewing for the sake of funding and will receive an offer regardless of the funding package (I have gathered that they admit students without funding). 

Anyone with experience/knowledge of Villanova, please let me know. Thanks

2 hours ago, crossroadsph said:

I am expecting results from Drew and BC anytime soon. My POI at the former school said that he was expecting results to be released as soon as possible, if they haven’t already, and expressed the hope that I would join them there.

I am not too confident about that, but we’ll see.

I'm waiting on BC too (ethics), I've received interviews for BU and Marquette but aside from that its been complete guessing and waiting which sucks

1 hour ago, thewaiting said:

So...anybody have info on U Chicago? Curious about how many spots they have this year. 

I don't know how many spots in the div school only that NELC wasn't accepting any applicants so I expect that makes it even *more* competitive. Also same as other schools, limited funding because of COVID etc. Interview requests have gone out. What's your field? And best of luck!!!

20 minutes ago, Adso_ said:

I don't know how many spots in the div school only that NELC wasn't accepting any applicants so I expect that makes it even *more* competitive. Also same as other schools, limited funding because of COVID etc. Interview requests have gone out. What's your field? And best of luck!!!

Ughhh such a crazy year! Appreciate your reply; just looked at your history – I'm also a s/o of an applicant. Ethics. I'm just hoping that it's more than 2 or 3 slots (because that just feels almost impossible, sigh). Good luck to you as well!!

2 hours ago, thewaiting said:

Ughhh such a crazy year! Appreciate your reply; just looked at your history – I'm also a s/o of an applicant. Ethics. I'm just hoping that it's more than 2 or 3 slots (because that just feels almost impossible, sigh). Good luck to you as well!!

ahaha ok so you understand the bystander anxiety!! hoping for the best :) I honestly can't imagine only 2-3 spots but then again, I couldn't imagine anything of the last 12 months so...

24 minutes ago, Adso_ said:

ahaha ok so you understand the bystander anxiety!! hoping for the best :) I honestly can't imagine only 2-3 spots but then again, I couldn't imagine anything of the last 12 months so...

Lol bystander anxiety. Someone should research that. :P Here's hoping! I am really hoping for Virginia over Chicago because I don't think I can handle the cold...like, truly. (ok, any acceptance would be spectacular).

20 minutes ago, cosmo92 said:

GOT REJECTED FROM BC HELL YEA LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I understand this energy lol. I’m thankful for the kindness and mutual support on this page. I’m not sure how I’d feel if it were as competitive and ugly here as the process feels like it might be in my mind. 

Anyway, I’m also facing multiple rejections so with you in the season of mourning/despair/(hopefully)hope.

8 minutes ago, KungFuKenny said:

I understand this energy lol. I’m thankful for the kindness and mutual support on this page. I’m not sure how I’d feel if it were as competitive and ugly here as the process feels like it might be in my mind. 

Anyway, I’m also facing multiple rejections so with you in the season of mourning/despair/(hopefully)hope.

Time to buy a patch of land in wyoming and start a cult ???

2 hours ago, KungFuKenny said:

I feel that. This is my fourth application cycle, and I’ve learned a lot along the way, and added a second masters in the mean time too. I finally have my first fully funded (and stipend) acceptance this year.

I got an acceptance with only 25% funding in year 2 and balked. Two waitlists in year 3. I’ve been on grad cafe but mostly as a lurker, and I can confirm that this is a place of expectation and sorrow. Less triumph than relief. And so, where we could be competitive, it feels more honest to be in solidarity. Even in acceptance I feel a bit of grief that isn’t easily dismissed, a specter of fear and rejection haunting me, haunting us. 

So I suppose I want to say something like, learning and grieving on the grad cafe was essential to my journey. In year 1, I lurked because I viewed it as competition. But here after many years of tweaks, of rethinking my path, of fighting and pushing to find my voice beyond what I was capable of in year 1- it’s not about competition but slow growth and grinding through cycles of doubt in creative ways. Maybe I’m just becoming a constructive Whiteheadian. Though that might also be one of my mentor’s fault. 

oh, and yes, I got my BC THEO reject today...

Edited by thiscalltoarms

3 minutes ago, thiscalltoarms said:

I feel that. This is my fourth application cycle, and I’ve learned a lot along the way, and added a second masters in the mean time too. I finally have my first fully funded (and stipend) acceptance this year.

I got an acceptance with only 25% funding in year 2 and balked. Two waitlists in year 3. I’ve been on grad cafe but mostly as a lurker, and I can confirm that this is a place of expectation and sorrow. Less triumph than relief. And so, where we could be competitive, it feels more honest to be in solidarity. Even in acceptance I feel a bit of grief that isn’t easily dismissed, a specter of fear and rejection haunting me, haunting us. 

So I suppose I want to say something like, learning and grieving on the grad cafe was essential to my journey. In year 1, I lurked because I viewed it as competition. But here after many years of tweaks, of rethinking my path, of fighting and pushing to find my voice beyond what I was capable of in year 1- it’s not about competition but slow growth and grinding through cycles of doubt in creative ways. Maybe I’m just becoming a constructive Whiteheadian. Though that might also be one of my mentor’s fault. 

oh, and yes, I got my BC THEO reject today...

Congrats on getting in somewhere! Especially after 4 years! And especially this cycle! That’s a big deal! Where’d you get in? Or are you keeping that close to the vest?

1 hour ago, thiscalltoarms said:

I got my reject, perhaps you’re a WL option?

That’s what my friend, formerly a graduate admissions person, suggested. Since acceptances and rejections were sent out...fingers crossed! 

I just checked the BC portal and I still didn’t see anything. It’s already a little past 10 PM Eastern so I’ll wait till tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Adso_ said:

I am also a bystander whose patience has been taxed as my partner has gone through this whole process :)

This could've been a great chance for some actual transparency to come to the process, but alas. 

One acceptance and one interview for her is a measure of vindication that she belongs in the process, which is a conversation I imagine lots of groups of people have to work through with how academia is. 

I've also noticed how lovely and positive the people here have been, and it's a joy to know many kind and caring people set out down this path. 

Edited by arewethereyet
Added thought

6 hours ago, arewethereyet said:

I am also a bystander whose patience has been taxed as my partner has gone through this whole process :)

This could've been a great chance for some actual transparency to come to the process, but alas. 

One acceptance and one interview for her is a measure of vindication that she belongs in the process, which is a conversation I imagine lots of groups of people have to work through with how academia is. 

I've also noticed how lovely and positive the people here have been, and it's a joy to know many kind and caring people set out down this path. 

we need our own "anxious bystanders posting/lurking on GradCafe as a stand in for being able to substantively do anything" thread ? 

On 2/17/2021 at 9:45 AM, Absurd'sTheWord said:

I received this email yesterday from Villanova's Ph.D.
"We have now completed phase one of this year’s admissions cycle and I am pleased to inform you that you are among this year’s semi-finalists for admission with funding. Congratulations!"

Has anyone here been through the interview process at VU? Also, I am unsure if this means I am interviewing for the sake of funding and will receive an offer regardless of the funding package (I have gathered that they admit students without funding). 

Anyone with experience/knowledge of Villanova, please let me know. Thanks

I got my MTS from Villanova. What discipline are you interested? What shape would your dissertation take?