Fall 2021 Religion PhD

alizeh55

1 hour ago, LUCASH said:

Awesome! Anyone who applied to U of Chicago or got some information from there? 

I had an interview there last week, and I'm under the impression I was one of the later people to get interviews. Judging by past years they've let people know in late February or early March (=2-3 weeks after interviews finish), so it may still be a week or two out.

4 minutes ago, Pierre de Olivi said:

I had an interview there last week, and I'm under the impression I was one of the later people to get interviews. Judging by past years they've let people know in late February or early March (=2-3 weeks after interviews finish), so it may still be a week or two out.

Thanks for your clarification! I didn’t apply to U of Chicago(one of the popula programs in the U.S.) but just wondering how other schools are processing their application in this abnormal cycle for future applicants who may apply in the next year. :)

Edited by LUCASH

6 minutes ago, Pierre de Olivi said:

Would you mind sharing your subfield?

2 hours ago, NTEJGuy said:

Would you mind sharing your subfield?

Sure, most of my research focuses on Late Antique Eastern Med. I applied to do an interdisciplinary track adjacent to the History of Christianity track with additional faculty from Islamic studies. I don't know if they interviewed me as an interdisciplinary applicant or moved me into a more conventional track. I hope this helps!

ETA: you can DM me for more information about my application/interview if that's helpful, but I don't want to share too many details publicly.

Edited by Pierre de Olivi
typo

25 minutes ago, crossroadsph said:

I just received an offer of admission from the Toronto School of Theology. Financial aid information is forthcoming.

Out of six applications, this means I got into two (Toronto and KU Leuven in Belgium) and was waitlisted in one (Drew).

Wow! Congratulations!!

59 minutes ago, crossroadsph said:

I just received an offer of admission from the Toronto School of Theology. Financial aid information is forthcoming.

Out of six applications, this means I got into two (Toronto and KU Leuven in Belgium) and was waitlisted in one (Drew).

AHHHHHHH!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! : D This seriously made my day. Yay, yay, yay, yay, yay!!!

1 hour ago, crossroadsph said:

Congratulations!! You have some great options. Well done!

Congrats! Happy for you!

17 hours ago, crossroadsph said:

Congrats on your admissions! Curious about Belgium – I've heard international funding tends to be limited. Would you have to come up with your own funding/scholarships, or do you think they'll offer you anything? 

What's your fave of these options? Great to have choices!

This may be common sense / a common practice, but I like to download my application proofs whenever I apply to grad programs and save it to a drive folder before the portal locks me out. This really helps me think about room for improvement especially if I decide to reapply again. It also serves as a reference point in advising future applicants if accepted!

1 hour ago, thewaiting said:

Congrats on your admissions! Curious about Belgium – I've heard international funding tends to be limited. Would you have to come up with your own funding/scholarships, or do you think they'll offer you anything? 

What's your fave of these options? Great to have choices!

The Faculty of Theology at KU Leuven has a financial assistance program for those in its Research Master’s program which, if I’m approved for it, covers basic living costs and the otherwise minimal tuition. I agree that it is pretty limited, which is why I’m seeking additional support from other individuals or institutions. This will be true not only of Leuven, though; the two other institutions I’ve either been accepted or waitlisted for will require such funding. 

So far, i haven’t really made up my mind yet, but I am attracted by the prospect of living and studying in Toronto. Belgium comes very close to that, which is why I’m weighing these options very carefully. I still haven’t heard from Boston College yet, and there’s still Drew, which is why I really don’t have a clear choice right now. 

Incidentally, it’s made more complicated by Toronto requiring that I respond by March 26. I do wish that the Association of Theological Schools, of which I understand they’re a part, gently exhorted them to align their deadlines with everyone else, but that’s just me.

53 minutes ago, crossroadsph said:

The Faculty of Theology at KU Leuven has a financial assistance program for those in its Research Master’s program which, if I’m approved for it, covers basic living costs and the otherwise minimal tuition. I agree that it is pretty limited, which is why I’m seeking additional support from other individuals or institutions. This will be true not only of Leuven, though; the two other institutions I’ve either been accepted or waitlisted for will require such funding. 

So far, i haven’t really made up my mind yet, but I am attracted by the prospect of living and studying in Toronto. Belgium comes very close to that, which is why I’m weighing these options very carefully. I still haven’t heard from Boston College yet, and there’s still Drew, which is why I really don’t have a clear choice right now. 

Incidentally, it’s made more complicated by Toronto requiring that I respond by March 26. I do wish that the Association of Theological Schools, of which I understand they’re a part, gently exhorted them to align their deadlines with everyone else, but that’s just me.

Oh yeah that's a tricky deadline to navigate. I think I've read others talk about asking for an extension – maybe you should consider that?

Basic living costs and the tuition at least precludes you from getting into debt! 

Toronto sounds cold! haha, but good luck navigating these choices (and again, yay for choices).

I have a couple thoughts... first, I checked my email records and Drew knocked me off their waitlist last year on 3/23. No guarantee of course, but that might mean you have closure on Drew before you have to make your Toronto choice. 

Second, I want to harp again on the strange nature of this application cycle. This is mostly anecdotal, but amongst my friends that are trying to get in this cycle- there are three distinct sets of people. Those with 1 acceptance seem to have 2-4 acceptances, those waitlisted seem to have 2-3 waitlists, and I just don't know anyone that only has 1 WL or 1 acceptance. In previous years, things seemed a little less rigid. I think that might mean there is actually more WL movement than previous years maybe. 

I heard the same thing last year- with covid there were schools that were on their third set of waitlist options. This multi-year set of covid adjacent acceptances/applications is just so weird.

Does anyone have tips for questions to ask potential advisors after being admitted into a program? I find that I already asked many of my good ones during the application process!

43 minutes ago, _Athena_ said:

Does anyone have tips for questions to ask potential advisors after being admitted into a program? I find that I already asked many of my good ones during the application process!

That’s a great question. 

2 hours ago, _Athena_ said:

If you're thinking about getting an academic job don't be afraid to ask them about the placement rates of their advisees in particular (as opposed to the department generally). Conversely, you can ask them point-blank whether and how they would advise you differently should you choose to seek an alt- or non-academic job.

Questions about their attitude towards publication are always wise, but you may have already asked them earlier in the process.

Even with the COVID vaccine out, asking what steps they are taking/have taken to accommodate current students in light of the crisis can be revealing.

8 hours ago, KungFuKenny said:

Official rejection from Emory GDR. Was expecting it but it still stings a little bit. Hope is a hell of a drug.

Sorry to hear about that. Still stings, even if it is expected. It’s something I know all too well.

10 hours ago, thiscalltoarms said:

I have a couple thoughts... first, I checked my email records and Drew knocked me off their waitlist last year on 3/23. No guarantee of course, but that might mean you have closure on Drew before you have to make your Toronto choice. 

Second, I want to harp again on the strange nature of this application cycle. This is mostly anecdotal, but amongst my friends that are trying to get in this cycle- there are three distinct sets of people. Those with 1 acceptance seem to have 2-4 acceptances, those waitlisted seem to have 2-3 waitlists, and I just don't know anyone that only has 1 WL or 1 acceptance. In previous years, things seemed a little less rigid. I think that might mean there is actually more WL movement than previous years maybe. 

I heard the same thing last year- with covid there were schools that were on their third set of waitlist options. This multi-year set of covid adjacent acceptances/applications is just so weird.

Let’s see how soon Drew can close out its numbers this year. And, yes, it’s interesting how weird things are. Honestly, the cycle next year might also be weird, with reduced slots still in place for what I suspect will be a long while. When would it stabilize? Who knows!

Good gravy. 

I just got accepted into the joint PhD program in Religious Studies at Univ of Denver & Iliff School of Theology. 

I was definitely not expecting that. ? 

Oh man. I don't know what to do. Denver feels like a natural fit since I've been doing RLST for a long time but the Chicanx Studies program at UCLA has the advisor I really want... Decisions, decisions. ?

I guess it all comes down to funding... right? 

Edited by CafeConGabi