Fall 2021 Religion PhD

alizeh55

On 2/25/2021 at 3:31 PM, KungFuKenny said:

Official rejection from Emory GDR. Was expecting it but it still stings a little bit. Hope is a hell of a drug.

Followed up with my POI at Emory and got some great feedback! It’s crazy how much personal feedback can help one’s confidence, even if critical! Feeling energized for a second round of apps. Even if that doesn’t work out, considering doing a second masters and not hating the thought of it!

1 hour ago, CafeConGabi said:

Good gravy. 

I just got accepted into the joint PhD program in Religious Studies at Univ of Denver & Iliff School of Theology. 

I was definitely not expecting that. ? 

Oh man. I don't know what to do. Denver feels like a natural fit since I've been doing RLST for a long time but the Chicanx Studies program at UCLA has the advisor I really want... Decisions, decisions. ?

I guess it all comes down to funding... right? 

Seriously though, is it all about funding? I’m seriously considering taking much less. I’m weighing so many factors but right now- the opportunity to teach classes during the PhD process seems the most valuable thing to me today...

33 minutes ago, alizeh55 said:

Seeing that made me feel pretty down considering I haven't received any update yet... which is sort of an answer within itself. :(

I don’t want to hurt you but I want to share my experience which happened on the last week. I got a rejection from the history department at Harvard after one week seeing some results on WL and acceptances. I assume that GSAS at Harvard send their rejection later week at the same time in this cycle.. 

Edited by LUCASH

1 minute ago, LUCASH said:

I don’t want to hurt you but I want to share my experience which happened on the last week. I got a rejection from the history department at Harvard after one week seeing some results on WL and acceptances. I assume that GSAS at Harvard send their rejection later week at the same time in this cycle.. 

Thank you for sharing and being honest. At this point I prefer that over sugar coated responses!

That makes sense... I just wish they would reject me already so I can begin my process of grieving. I just want to know if it's a yes or no at this point and not hold onto any bit of hope anymore

22 minutes ago, alizeh55 said:

Thank you for sharing and being honest. At this point I prefer that over sugar coated responses!

That makes sense... I just wish they would reject me already so I can begin my process of grieving. I just want to know if it's a yes or no at this point and not hold onto any bit of hope anymore

That’s exactly what I wanted at the time.. it was a painful experience which they are holding my rejection more than a week.. 

I only applied to one PhD program this cycle so I realize I am an anomaly on this thread. I did this for two reasons:

1. The programs whose faculty I was interested in (such as Columbia and Brown) were not accepting. I saw no reason to apply places where faculty did not fit into my interests because I wouldn't even know what to say on my SOP. I did a lot of research and even consulted my advisors and although they warned me not to put my eggs in one basket, I knew the risk I was taking from day one.

2. I am trying to keep my options open in life. Of course my attention is completely on the app right now because it's admissions seasons, and I would love to start a PhD this year, but I am open to waiting it out some more.

As a result, if I do not get into CSR I will not be starting a PhD this fall. Not trying to imply that age is a determining factor of success or opportunities in any way, because I strongly disagree with that, but I am very young and have a few career options ahead of me if I choose to reapply in the future. The funny thing is that I felt more like an outsider as the youngest student in my program!

Anyway, I am so extremely excited for everyone who has gotten at least one offer and is continuing to get more. It feels like this thread has existed for years instead of months, and the kindness and inspirational anecdotes have really helped my mental health throughout this gruesome process. Nonetheless, I hope to read your groundbreaking work one day in your respective fields!

Edit: I chose the worst year in history to take a risk and apply to one program lmao

Edited by alizeh55

5 hours ago, thiscalltoarms said:

Seriously though, is it all about funding? I’m seriously considering taking much less. I’m weighing so many factors but right now- the opportunity to teach classes during the PhD process seems the most valuable thing to me today...

I mean, UCLA hasn't given me info on funding (it's been about a month) and Denver isn't giving me more than tuition... Both offer some great classes, opportunities to TA, and some advisors I would be happy working with. Any upsides to living in Denver? ? Other than that, I made sure all the schools I applied to had a Chipotle nearby. I'm a simple gal.  

Many congratulations to those who were accepted to Harvard yesterday! Out of courtesy for those on the waitlist, if you know for sure already where you will attend—whether it be Harvard or a comprobable institution (The University of Chicago, Stanford, Northwestern, Yale, Duke, etc.)—if you could make that decision as soon as you know and have peace about your decision it would greatly help those of us in limbo ? No pressure of course, and congratulations again!! 

57 minutes ago, שמע אלוהים said:

Many congratulations to those who were accepted to Harvard yesterday! Out of courtesy for those on the waitlist, if you know for sure already where you will attend—whether it be Harvard or a comprobable institution (The University of Chicago, Stanford, Northwestern, Yale, Duke, etc.)—if you could make that decision as soon as you know and have peace about your decision it would greatly help those of us in limbo ? No pressure of course, and congratulations again!! 

Do you know if acceptances went out for CSR yesterday too? I only know of people being waitlisted

11 minutes ago, alizeh55 said:

Do you know if acceptances went out for CSR yesterday too? I only know of people being waitlisted

I cannot say for sure, though the Admissions Committee Chair reached out to me personally last night via email to let me know about my status. I guess my rationale for assuming that acceptances have also gone out is that most schools do not let waitlisted applicants know before their admitted applicants, or at the very least, they let both groups know at the same time. That could be a flawed line of thinking though! It's hard to say this year because CSR probably only took ~4 people, so there is a good chance that the accepted students did not post their results. 

On 2/27/2021 at 4:44 AM, CafeConGabi said:

Good gravy. 

I just got accepted into the joint PhD program in Religious Studies at Univ of Denver & Iliff School of Theology. 

I was definitely not expecting that. ? 

Oh man. I don't know what to do. Denver feels like a natural fit since I've been doing RLST for a long time but the Chicanx Studies program at UCLA has the advisor I really want... Decisions, decisions. ?

I guess it all comes down to funding... right? 

Congratulations on getting accepted! It does go down to funding for me, but I consider other things, like who I can work with and what resources are available at that institution to carry out research.

Hi everyone, congrats to those of you accepted to programs and best of luck to those still waiting on news. I happen to be in the latter half of that disjunction, so I have found myself here. I understand that this is a Religion PhD forum, but I was wondering if anyone knew if Oxford has released their philosophical theology MPhil (or Mst) decisions, perhaps through acquaintances with similar interests. Also, do you believe they have sent all their theology acceptances out? I see three on the forum but I would have expected to see more.

Anyways, thank you in advance and sorry to disrupt this forum!

Sincerely, a distressed applicant

22 minutes ago, davidhume1739 said:

Hi everyone, congrats to those of you accepted to programs and best of luck to those still waiting on news. I happen to be in the latter half of that disjunction, so I have found myself here. I understand that this is a Religion PhD forum, but I was wondering if anyone knew if Oxford has released their philosophical theology MPhil (or Mst) decisions, perhaps through acquaintances with similar interests. Also, do you believe they have sent all their theology acceptances out? I see three on the forum but I would have expected to see more.

I'm afraid I don't have any information in that regard, but I just wanted to say that you disrupted nothing and that I hope you hear some news soon! You may have better luck finding out something in the Fall 2021 MTS thread. Wishing you all the best!

10 minutes ago, _Athena_ said:

I'm afraid I don't have any information in that regard, but I just wanted to say that you disrupted nothing and that I hope you hear some news soon! You may have better luck finding out something in the Fall 2021 MTS thread. Wishing you all the best!

Awesome, I will check it out - didn't realize that it existed! Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, crossroadsph said:

Congratulations on getting accepted! It does go down to funding for me, but I consider other things, like who I can work with and what resources are available at that institution to carry out research.

Thank you! You're absolutely right. I can totally see myself at both places... 

Decisions, decisions. 

Ahh! And I'm still waiting on 2 history programs. Ahh. 

3 hours ago, davidhume1739 said:

I'm a current student at Oxford and got my acceptance to the DPhil in Theology/Religion on Wednesday. If you haven't heard yet, I wouldn't stress too much. They don't release their acceptances at the same time. For instance, my friend got her acceptance to the DPhil a week earlier than I did. And when I applied for the MPhil two years ago, I didn't hear until the end of the first week of March. Give it another week or two at least. Hope you hear good news soon!

10 hours ago, 14777 said:

I'm a current student at Oxford and got my acceptance to the DPhil in Theology/Religion on Wednesday. If you haven't heard yet, I wouldn't stress too much. They don't release their acceptances at the same time. For instance, my friend got her acceptance to the DPhil a week earlier than I did. And when I applied for the MPhil two years ago, I didn't hear until the end of the first week of March. Give it another week or two at least. Hope you hear good news soon!

Wow thank you so much - this give me hope and made me feel like I'm not just waiting around for a rejection! Congrats on the DPhil acceptance!