Fall 2021 Religion PhD

alizeh55

I hope everyone here has been doing well, as nerve-racking as the last few months have been. Personally, I feel very drained by the pandemic application process (and the pandemic in general!). The mental and emotional labor that goes into applying to doctoral programs under these circumstances, and even under normal circumstances, is a lot - maybe even too much. That being said, I'm really grateful for the support of this community and hopeful that I'll be able to read your work and see you at conferences in the not-so-distant future.

Just now, crossroadsph said:

Good question. I’ve been seeing a lot of rejections and one waitlisted entry, but no one indicated acceptance. Maybe those who accepted have not uploaded their results?

Hmm I interviewed but haven’t heard anything. They told us we would hear by Monday (seemed like they meant last Monday but now today has passed too). 

On 3/8/2021 at 9:11 PM, LTS said:

Hmm I interviewed but haven’t heard anything. They told us we would hear by Monday (seemed like they meant last Monday but now today has passed too). 

I see...I wonder why they haven't gotten back to you yet.

By the way, it has been a challenging time for me as well, but I'm managing to hang in there. I do hope everyone else is, too. I look forward to reading what you publish (since I might be outside of North America and might not easily get to conferences). 

3 hours ago, LTS said:

I interviewed too and thought the director said everyone would know by March 3rd at the latest. I just figured I was rejected at this point. I did see on the MTS forum that someone said a friend of theirs got accepted in the PhD Theo program at ND about a week and a half ago.
Glad to know I’m not the only one in limbo.

Edited by 14777

On 3/8/2021 at 9:55 PM, LUCASH said:

Chicago, Notre Dame, BC have not been clear.. there are some results but none admitted..

I have a friend who was accepted at BC for Systematics. 

On 3/9/2021 at 12:55 AM, 14777 said:

I interviewed too and thought the director said everyone would know by March 3rd at the latest. I just figured I was rejected at this point. I did see on the MTS forum that someone said a friend of theirs got accepted in the PhD Theo program at ND about a week and a half ago.
Glad to know I’m not the only one in limbo.

Which concentration? When I saw some results posted I thought maybe the concentrations have been making decisions separately and informing candidates at their own pace. 

11 hours ago, LTS said:

Has anyone who interviewed at Notre Dame heard yet? 

hi! my s/o heard directly from the faculty member he worked with that they decided not to go with him :( he heard last Monday but he hasn't received anything more official. And BC has contacted students and accepted students day is next week. 

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Which concentration? When I saw some results posted I thought maybe the concentrations have been making decisions separately and informing candidates at their own pace. 

I wondered that too. I’m CJA. How about you?

4 hours ago, LTS said:

CJA also. Does anyone know the concentrations of people who have heard already? 

Hmm interesting. Now I don’t know if I should have hope again... It seems odd that it would take them so long to let people know if they met two weeks ago to decide. 

7 hours ago, Adso_ said:

hi! my s/o heard directly from the faculty member he worked with that they decided not to go with him :( he heard last Monday but he hasn't received anything more official. And BC has contacted students and accepted students day is next week. 

I was contacted by BC just 20 minutes ago. Under consideration for their joint MA with the philosophy department, but not accepted for the Ph.D. I’ve asked to remain in consideration as acceptance for that might be a foot in the door. Rejection for the doctorate was inevitable, however. At least I got to know directly rather than wait for the form letter that usually comes with being turned down. So that’s a 50/50 record for me. Half of my six applications this cycle were turned down. 

Also, there is a local theology school here which has, by regional standards, a reputable theology program. I’m still applying for it and hope to hear from them before July.

Edited by crossroadsph
Last sentence changed, reference to other program included.

9 hours ago, thewaiting said:

Have there been Chicago results (accepted/waitlisted/rejected)? I haven't seen anything posted.

Did anyone have an interview there? I haven't and I assuming at this point it's off the table for me.

Hi there - just wondering if anyone is still waiting to hear from BU GSAS? I assume no news is bad news but there was also some weirdness with my account, so my dream is that the acceptance letter is lost in cyber space ☺️ Thanks!

12 hours ago, ypastorpat said:

Did anyone have an interview there? I haven't and I assuming at this point it's off the table for me.

I interviewed there as well. However, the interviews may be determined by subfield/POI and it may be possible to be admitted without an interview -- the results for past years are unclear. I'll reiterate that on one level, no news is good news.

What subfield or POI did you apply to work with?

8 minutes ago, Pierre de Olivi said:

I interviewed there as well. However, the interviews may be determined by subfield/POI and it may be possible to be admitted without an interview -- the results for past years are unclear. I'll reiterate that on one level, no news is good news.

What subfield or POI did you apply to work with?

History of Christianity with Erin Walsh. You?

22 hours ago, TylerJarvis said:

Nobody mind me. I’m just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting to hear from UCLA. 

Sorry forgot to post. I received an offer from UCLA NELC. Had an admitted students' day on Monday... I wonder if this means that you've been waitlisted?

Rejected from UT Austin (history).

Should've applied to their Religious Studies dept. Meh. Oh well. 

That's: 

2/8 accepted

5/8 rejected

1/8 pending

In short, I'm doing way better than the first round of applications (100% rejection ?). But it still sucks to get rejected so many times. It's a mindf-ck really.  

____

I'll also mention that even though I had doubts about moving away from the Religious Studies track, I've had some of the most amazing conversations with folks in the Chicanx Studies program at UCLA. I also managed to find some new research opportunities so I'll potentially also be collaborating with theologians at Loyola Marymount Univ. I think I'll also reach out to the POI at Texas and see if it's still possible to work on a different project together. Rejection from a program doesn't mean I stop doing research, right? Besides, the AAR will be in Austin for Nov. 2021 ? (They thought they could get rid of me hahahaha!)

Okay, I'm ranting now.  

Edited by CafeConGabi

6 minutes ago, CafeConGabi said:

Rejected from UT Austin (history).

Should've applied to their Religious Studies dept. Meh. Oh well. 

That's: 

2/8 accepted

5/8 rejected

1/8 pending

In short, I'm doing way better than the first round of applications (100% rejection ?). But it still sucks to get rejected so many times. It's a mindf-ck really.  

Yeah, every rejection does sting. But at least you’ve got two pretty good choices! Congratulations.