Fall 2021 Religion PhD

alizeh55

19 hours ago, Pierre de Olivi said:

I got accepted to Harvard!!!!! The news came last night; sorry I didn't update the thread sooner.

Wow, congratulations!!!!

If you happen to get any insider info on how many candidates they accepted/had room for this year, please do share. It would be helpful to know for the next cycle as well. 

On 2/8/2021 at 11:23 AM, LUCASH said:

Any one who may apply to Vanderbilt University, they will come out the results for Ph.d after 12 February (the last appointment day of the admission committee). I may expect that the result will come out on 15 February or during that week. Wish you all! (Current student at Vandy)

Does anyone have intelligence on what’s going on with Vandy? I applied for the E&S track and interviewed on 2/3. I did see that a couple of people (who knows from which track) posted unofficial acceptances on the results page on 2/12. But I’ve had radio silence from them since my interview. I’m guessing I’m on some kind of WL, but there’s no uniformity on the results page from past years in terms of how and when results were communicated.

Feeling a bit frozen in place here... ? 

Edited by stlmo
Clarity

3 hours ago, dougy said:

Hope ya'll are holding up okay! 

Thanks. I'm still waiting to hear from Boston College. I'd go for the idea that "no news is good news" at this point, basically to calm my nerves. The admissions office said that I should wait for the department, and I decided not to contact the department, because it might be counterproductive. We'll see.

8 hours ago, stlmo said:

Does anyone have intelligence on what’s going on with Vandy? I applied for the E&S track and interviewed on 2/3. I did see that a couple of people (who knows from which track) posted unofficial acceptances on the results page on 2/12. But I’ve had radio silence from them since my interview. I’m guessing I’m on some kind of WL, but there’s no uniformity on the results page from past years in terms of how and when results were communicated.

Someone I follow on Twitter posted a picture of her admission letter and mentioned that she attended a virtual meet and greet with potential candidates sometime before receiving her decision. I also applied and I’m expecting a rejection but I’m surprised that all decisions apparently haven’t gone out together.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:20 PM, alizeh55 said:

Wow, congratulations!!!!

If you happen to get any insider info on how many candidates they accepted/had room for this year, please do share. It would be helpful to know for the next cycle as well. 

Thank you! I've heard 4 thrown around but am not sure how accurate it is.

A faculty member told me I was the only applicant selected in my area of focus.

Edited by Pierre de Olivi

22 hours ago, thewaiting said:

Wowww congrats! Is it your top choice?

Thank you! It's definitely up there but I'm waiting to hear back from Chicago and will probably make my final decision based on how conversations with grad students feel. But I looooove the academics and faculty at Harvard and Cambridge is a very convenient location for me!

Has anyone heard from UofM? My husband applied to the LSA Middle East Studies and hasn't heard anything. Have any of you heard of anyone else getting in/rejected? The anxiety is REAL.  

22 hours ago, stlmo said:

Two weeks ago, I got an admission from Vandy with the official update on the website. I know many institutions suspend their rejections in this cycle (I have no idea why they did..). Increasing applicants comparison to the small number of the slots for Ph.D might congest this procedure to send out their results. Indeed, I met the person who are admitted in the Ethics and Society track. If you had an interview, I think you are on the waitlist...

Got notice that I was an alternate for admission for Vanderbilt via US mail. Letter was dated 2/17.  I interviewed and was also included in a meet and greet with current students early February.

Email acceptance at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary today. Garrett asked for an April 1 response. I am not sure when Vandy expects responses from admitted students. 

32 minutes ago, ANH3 said:

Got notice that I was an alternate for admission for Vanderbilt via US mail. Letter was dated 2/17.  I interviewed and was also included in a meet and greet with current students early February.

Email acceptance at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary today. Garrett asked for an April 1 response. I am not sure when Vandy expects responses from admitted students. 

15 April

Hi folks! Joining the party late, but the little bits of information I've gotten here have been helpful to me as we hit the home stretch this cycle, so I figured I should do my part.

I applied to theology (systematic) tracks at Yale (currently finishing my mdiv here), Emory, Duke, Vanderbilt, Fordham, Boston College, and Boston University (school of theology). I was rejected from Duke (1/21) and Yale (2/12). I was invited to interviews at Emory (1/16) and BU (1/28), but was not offered admission at either program (2/9 and 2/22 respectively). I was waitlisted at Fordham (2/16). I'm still waiting to hear from Vandy and BC.

I would absolutely love to be admitted to Fordham (Enormous and genuine congratulations to those on here who were accepted this cycle! fighting that green monster as best I can...) as it was one of my top programs originally. I'm expecting that I'll be getting "no"s from Vandy and BC since I haven't heard from them yet. The rejection from Emory stung the worst because they were a top program for me and I thought the interview process went very well. But obviously there truly are more deserving applicants that spots available. Anyways, well done to everyone for applying this cycle and what a great thing that we have each other here. Best wishes for everyone!

34 minutes ago, Trevor Smith said:

Hi folks! Joining the party late, but the little bits of information I've gotten here have been helpful to me as we hit the home stretch this cycle, so I figured I should do my part.

I applied to theology (systematic) tracks at Yale (currently finishing my mdiv here), Emory, Duke, Vanderbilt, Fordham, Boston College, and Boston University (school of theology). I was rejected from Duke (1/21) and Yale (2/12). I was invited to interviews at Emory (1/16) and BU (1/28), but was not offered admission at either program (2/9 and 2/22 respectively). I was waitlisted at Fordham (2/16). I'm still waiting to hear from Vandy and BC.

I would absolutely love to be admitted to Fordham (Enormous and genuine congratulations to those on here who were accepted this cycle! fighting that green monster as best I can...) as it was one of my top programs originally. I'm expecting that I'll be getting "no"s from Vandy and BC since I haven't heard from them yet. The rejection from Emory stung the worst because they were a top program for me and I thought the interview process went very well. But obviously there truly are more deserving applicants that spots available. Anyways, well done to everyone for applying this cycle and what a great thing that we have each other here. Best wishes for everyone!

If it helps, I got confirmation from the GDR dept. head at Emory that there were no offers made to applicants in the subfield of theological studies. It definitely helped me to know that!

6 hours ago, Trevor Smith said:

Welcome aboard! I am glad that I am not alone in awaiting any news from BC, and oddly enough, we got turned down from the same two schools (Duke and Yale). Best wishes to you as we hit the home stretch!

42 minutes ago, cosmo92 said:

Accepted to the MA program at UVA. Was wrestling between this or the PhD program at Marquette but finally decided that I'll be heading to UVA to work with the faculty that I'm more inclined to study with and re-apply once I complete this new degree. Love you guys !

Congratulations!!

On 3/4/2021 at 4:17 AM, cosmo92 said:

Accepted to the MA program at UVA. Was wrestling between this or the PhD program at Marquette but finally decided that I'll be heading to UVA to work with the faculty that I'm more inclined to study with and re-apply once I complete this new degree. Love you guys !

Good luck and best wishes! 

5 hours ago, zbsrdcdg said:

Any info on BC? I havent heard anything for a while - I had an interview but no news.

I applied and haven't heard a peep since. I've heard that they reply in waves. There may be some delays too given the recent allegations made against Richard Gaillardetz, current chair of the BC theology department.

2 hours ago, Trevor Smith said:

I applied and haven't heard a peep since. I've heard that they reply in waves. There may be some delays too given the recent allegations made against Richard Gaillardetz, current chair of the BC theology department.

From what I’ve seen in the results survey in past years, they do reply in waves: accepted students initially, then rejected ones. To my knowledge, BC does not let people know that they are on a waiting list, so that is another possibility. I’ve read the department’s manual and it mentions an internal list of alternates that their admissions committee also prepares.

These recent events, combined possibly with the number of applicants BC got this year, may have changed things, but honestly, until I hear from them, I wouldn’t know.

Edited by crossroadsph
Added note on BC theology procedure.

20 hours ago, crossroadsph said:

From what I’ve seen in the results survey in past years, they do reply in waves: accepted students initially, then rejected ones. To my knowledge, BC does not let people know that they are on a waiting list, so that is another possibility. I’ve read the department’s manual and it mentions an internal list of alternates that their admissions committee also prepares.

These recent events, combined possibly with the number of applicants BC got this year, may have changed things, but honestly, until I hear from them, I wouldn’t know.

But... I got my reject on 2/17 from BC theology. So maybe that leans towards both of you being waitlisted without telling you?

6 hours ago, thiscalltoarms said:

But... I got my reject on 2/17 from BC theology. So maybe that leans towards both of you being waitlisted without telling you?

Well, I think it might be the case. From my experience of being turned down by BC in 2020, it happened to be the same time as yours, so I guess being made an alternate isn’t a bad deal! That’s an optimistic way of looking at it.

Either way, I have been seeing this delay as a case of “no news is good news.” That keeps me grounded and less stressful about this.

On 3/3/2021 at 2:17 PM, cosmo92 said:

Congratulations! Were you on the waitlist still at Marquette or did they make you an offer? I'm on the waitlist there and just trying to gauge where I might be in line.

I got an acceptance to CUA for Semitics, but there's no funding and deferring has its own risk (not to mention my wife isn't too keen on moving across the country).