Munk School, NPSIA and GPSIA 2021 Admissions

E-O

1 hour ago, lh443424 said:

So I sent Lauren an email and got this as part of the response:

"I can confirm that your application has been recommended for assessment and is under review by the admissions committee" 

Does anyone have an idea if the admissions committee is the final point of review? It sounds like it makes sense, but that's just an assumption.

That's such good news! Does your Carleton Central/360 still say "preliminary review required"?  Also, according to this page: https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/, you're on the 3rd-ish stage of review? But it seems like things will move pretty quick from thereon out. 

Hi everyone!

Asked this at the beginning of the forum for NPSIA candidates and current NPSIA Students / alumni and never got a reply from anyone. Figured I might have insight on this now that the forum is pretty active!

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the average age of students that get into the program. Like, do students have other work experiences / masters / multiples degrees in their mid-late twenties, or is it more like students coming straight out of their bachelors in the early 20's? Just curious!

12 minutes ago, Gradgradinternational said:

Hi everyone!

Asked this at the beginning of the forum for NPSIA candidates and current NPSIA Students / alumni and never got a reply from anyone. Figured I might have insight on this now that the forum is pretty active!

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the average age of students that get into the program. Like, do students have other work experiences / masters / multiples degrees in their mid-late twenties, or is it more like students coming straight out of their bachelors in the early 20's? Just curious!

Hi Gradgradinternational,

From what I was able to deduce during my interactions with alumni, current students, and the seminars programs hosted before the application stage, is that there is a mix of students and the average age is between 25 - 28. Most the programs would have around 50-60% of the class that is fresh out of undergrad and the rest is young or mid-career professionals either aiming to pivot or push ahead, leveraging the MPA/MA degrees.

I, for example, am in 30s and already have a Masters. Thus far, I have offers from Queen's (MPA), Waterloo (MPS), and Carleton (MPPA). I hope this helps.

Edited by Ball_D
Can't spell..

Hi everyone, 

I received an unofficial acceptance to NPSIA last Monday (March 1st), in the email it said "In the next week, you will receive an official offer of admission via Carleton Central." It's been 10 days and nothing has been updated on CC. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Also, is anyone considering the EURUS program at Carleton? Or the CERES program at Munk? Both made very generous offers and seem to be pretty good academically. 

40 minutes ago, Gradgradinternational said:

personally, I'm coming straight out of my bachelor's in early 20's. not sure what the average age is though for everyone else

also, a couple questions:

--does anyone have any info on the econ prerequisite for NPSIA (i.e. what level / what institutions we can take it at / what grade we need, etc.)?

--Is there any way to find some past/current NPSIA INAF syllabi?

17 minutes ago, dingbat said:

--does anyone have any info on the econ prerequisite for NPSIA (i.e. what level / what institutions we can take it at / what grade we need, etc.)?

I guess the school (Carleton) would be offering both Econ 1001 and 1002 over the summer. The best way would be register as a special student by filling up the form here - http://carleton.ca/registrar/non-degree-students/special-students .. you can also write to the registrar office - Registrar@cunet.carleton.ca. From what I was able to figure out is that taking the course from Carleton would be relatively cheaper (if you take it at Athabasca) and the school will add the grades to your transcript. The minimum needed is a B+ grade.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Ball_D

21 minutes ago, Ball_D said:

I guess the school (Carleton) would be offering both Econ 1001 and 1002 over the summer. The best way would be register as a special student by filling up the form here - http://carleton.ca/registrar/non-degree-students/special-students .. you can also write to the registrar office - Registrar@cunet.carleton.ca. From what I was able to figure out is that taking the course from Carleton would be relatively cheaper (if you take it at Athabasca) and the school will add the grades to your transcript. The minimum needed is a B+ grade.

I hope this helps.

That is helpful, thank you!

I'm not living in Ottawa right now so I'll probably be taking the course at an institution local to me, unless Carleton is offering econ 1001/1002 online this summer. 

2 hours ago, bonghoots420 said:

That's such good news! Does your Carleton Central/360 still say "preliminary review required"?  Also, according to this page: https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/, you're on the 3rd-ish stage of review? But it seems like things will move pretty quick from thereon out. 

My Carleton 360 account does, but not Carleton Central - which says "recommended for assessment"

Also, for those of you anxious about being on "Preliminary Review Required" I received this:

"At this time, we are aiming to complete the first-round of admission offers by the end of March (or possibly into April), as we received a very high volume of application files this year."

So - mixed feelings about that, as its bound to be more competitive, but also reassuring since it appears that they're about a month behind.

12 minutes ago, dingbat said:

That is helpful, thank you!

I'm not living in Ottawa right now so I'll probably be taking the course at an institution local to me, unless Carleton is offering econ 1001/1002 online this summer. 

Most welcome. The courses, from what I was told, will be offered online! I am not in Ottawa at the moment and plan to take the macro course online with Carleton. From what I read in previous year threads, the courses tend to fill up early - but since they are online, I guess running out of class size may not be an issue this time.

1 hour ago, CarmenSandieghoe said:

Good morning y'all, I'm having a good feeling about Munk today!! ☺️?

Heyy, let's hope so! It takes TOO long already! Haven't received anything yet from either Munk, UOttawa, or Mcgill. 

Edited by Krea96

Has anybody applied for UBC's MPPGA or know anything about the program that isn't advertised? Just got an acceptance, but couldn't find any recent info/thoughts on the program...plus their tuition is foul lol.  

I'm also still waiting on Munk and NPSIA (Preliminary review required)

On 3/13/2021 at 9:37 AM, YungKaira said:

Has anybody applied for UBC's MPPGA or know anything about the program that isn't advertised? Just got an acceptance, but couldn't find any recent info/thoughts on the program...plus their tuition is foul lol.  

I'm also still waiting on Munk and NPSIA (Preliminary review required)

Same here! Genuinely wondering if anybody could share any insights about the MPPGA program (or SPPGA at UBC in general) especially how it's perceived comparing to other schools like Munk! Pls help 

On 3/11/2021 at 3:26 PM, dingbat said:

I haven't found a page with links to all syllabi, but this gives a brief description of all the INAF courses: https://calendar.carleton.ca/grad/courses/INAF/ I've also found that you can access some syllabi by just typing the course number into google (some profs post them on their personal websites). Hope that helps! :) 

58 minutes ago, thecontentindian said:

I have applied to both Munk's MGA and the UBC's MPPGA program as an international student ATM. Have not received anything at the moment. Keeping my fingers crossed. Has anyone received anything yet from either of the two, besides the seminar calls and the sort?

I emailed Munk regarding MGA decision timing last week but did not get a response. My impression is that they sent the first round of decisions out and are waiting to see how many more spots there are. I am not holding my breath.