Boren 2021-2022

dubu_soop

On 3/10/2021 at 5:14 AM, envirostudent21 said:

I applied for this cycle (for S. Korea), and FINGERS CROSSED I get this, because otherwise I will have to start my grad program 2 days after graduating from my undergrad program, and I will be taking on $100k+ in debt because I missed the deadlines for major scholarship opportunities in the fall. The 1-year offset from the Boren is really the only way I can see myself getting out of this mess... but we hear back in April, right?

Hi! Ok I am no one to tell you what to do but PLEASE look into GKS global Korea scholarship funded by South Korea and it is basically a full ride for both undergrad and graduate students. It's a bit confusing but they will pay for most of your education and also provides you 1 year of Korean Language prior to your 2 year masters program. I dont know exactly what youre doing but I'd recommend taking a gap year and applying to scholarships.... no need to go 100k in the hole in my opinion. Life has changed since the Pandemic and I truly believe no one should feel pressured to rush on to the next stage of their life if they can take some time for a better outcome. 

On 4/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, Xinan said:

Notifications should be coming out next week, I'm thinking the 15th?

How are we all feeling! I can hardly wait to hear back :) .

Honestly i wish they would come out earlier ? the wait is excruciating and I know it came the 15th last year but stillllllllllllllllll

22 hours ago, foreignpolicy123 said:

Hi guys! I applied for the Boren scholarship to study Arabic in Israel! The wait is killing me, how is everyone else feeling? 

I applied for the scholarship to study Russian in Kyrgyzstan! I'm feelin super antsy and the wait is killing me too. I really hope they come out on the 15th and that they're not late. This decision really is determining my very near future?

1 hour ago, bethanyc19 said:

I just checked my application portal and the info that used to be there (like my checklist, recommenders, transcript upload information) is gone. Anyone else? Wonder if that means they're done making decisions

Yeah all that is left is application proof! I don't know when they did this but it probably means they are getting things in order!

23 hours ago, Msf1997 said:

Anyone know if results tend to be early in the morning or if in the afternoon like the CLS? Wondering if results will be in the middle of trip I’ll be on next week.

In 2020, I got the email Wednesday, April 15, 5:10 pm. In 2017, I got the email Monday, April 17, 10:06 am.

This might not be super helpful. Also, both of these were acceptance emails and for the study in Asia. It's possible that rejection emails or those for different regions came at different times. 

I would guess that later in the day would be more common, but I hope someone from other years has more info

13 minutes ago, Umenohana said:

In 2020, I got the email Wednesday, April 15, 5:10 pm. In 2017, I got the email Monday, April 17, 10:06 am.

This might not be super helpful. Also, both of these were acceptance emails and for the study in Asia. It's possible that rejection emails or those for different regions came at different times. 

I would guess that later in the day would be more common, but I hope someone from other years has more info

Two points isn't a trend, but I checked and both of those days were Mondays. If they usually send out results on Mondays, we might be looking at either April 12 or April 17

1 hour ago, AONomad said:

Two points isn't a trend, but I checked and both of those days were Mondays. If they usually send out results on Mondays, we might be looking at either April 12 or April 17

April 15, 2020 was a Wednesday. According to my campus Boren Advisor, April 15 is a pretty reliable trend. I'm guessing the only reason it was the 17th in 2017 was because April 15th and 16th were weekend days, so it fell on the first weekday afterwards. So I still think it will be April 15 this year, or 16th at the latest. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

2 hours ago, Umenohana said:

April 15, 2020 was a Wednesday. According to my campus Boren Advisor, April 15 is a pretty reliable trend. I'm guessing the only reason it was the 17th in 2017 was because April 15th and 16th were weekend days, so it fell on the first weekday afterwards. So I still think it will be April 15 this year, or 16th at the latest. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

lol! yes haha I must've zoned in on the "20" and checked April 20, 2020. My bad :')

2 hours ago, Furby said:

I'll manifest the release date for tomorrow the 12th. We will all know tomorrow 

hahaa as nice as that sounds, they even said in the survey email that we should expect results "mid-to-late April". So we are probably looking at even later than the 15th. Maybe I'm just the pessimist here though?

Does anyone happen to know what email address decisions will come from? I want to set up notifications for anything from them rather than checking my email every 10 minutes on Thursday and Friday. 

50 minutes ago, dubu_soop said:

Does anyone happen to know what email address decisions will come from? I want to set up notifications for anything from them rather than checking my email every 10 minutes on Thursday and Friday. 

boren@iie.org

5 minutes ago, foreignpolicy123 said:

when do we think results will come out?? tomorrow? i am so nervous

It's probably going to come out this Friday (afternoon-evening probably) or next Monday. I don't think they would release it on a Thursday.

Okay, here are the announcement dates since 2015 I think:

2015: Tuesday April 21, 2015

2016: Monday April 18, 2016 

2017: Monday April 17, 2017

2018: Sometime during the third week of April 16-20th

2019: Monday April 15, 2019

2020: Wednesday April 15, 2020

Edited by Tomsand

Just now, AONomad said:

If last year after covid had already started they managed April 15, I'm hoping they can do it again now that most people's work-from-home flow has improved :)

Ahaha good point, fingers crossed!