Georgetown SFS - Fall 2021

niceswing

43 minutes ago, jellyana said:

right???? i got another email from the program director today and its like hhhh wheres the official letter though?? ;(

May i ask what the letter was about? I didn't receive one.

Just now, goodvibesonly said:

May i ask what the letter was about? I didn't receive one.

oh just responding to my email from last week lol 

i guess he just got around to looking at all the replies now 

6 minutes ago, Quincy1433 said:

Just got an informal acceptance letter from the SSP! It says that the formal decision letter (with funding info) will be released later today! 

Congrats!! 

Do you think that they're sending out SFS letters or just SSP acceptance letters

27 minutes ago, goodvibesonly said:

Congrats!! 

Do you think that they're sending out SFS letters or just SSP acceptance letters

Thank you! It says that the formal decision will be released by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences later today, so I guess that indicates the portal change. 

Just now, Quincy1433 said:

Thank you! It says that the formal decision will be released by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences later today, so I guess that indicates the portal change. 

oh nice! thanks for sharing! I also got an informal letter last week but still haven't recieved the official one yet. Waiting for a week made me think if they had mistakenly sent the letter haha

1 minute ago, Quincy1433 said:

Hey, I saw you also applied for the MAIR program at SAIS. I too am debating between that program at Hopkins and SSP at Georgetown (assuming I get in there). I want to work in military assistance and oversight of foreign military sales, so SSP may be better for me, but SAIS is basically free for me at this point. 

You have any insight into which way you'd lean if all else was held equal?

2 minutes ago, Kole_Kolt said:

Hey, I saw you also applied for the MAIR program at SAIS. I too am debating between that program at Hopkins and SSP at Georgetown (assuming I get in there). I want to work in military assistance and oversight of foreign military sales, so SSP may be better for me, but SAIS is basically free for me at this point. 

Hi thank you for your note! Sorry that I couldn't give you a more sophisticated understanding on the pros and cons as well as the career development of these two programs. I'm still an undergrad, and actually I haven't started thinking about which program is better for me (as I'm also waiting for SIPA and HKS). I'm currently planning for a policy career in security.

14 minutes ago, goodvibesonly said:

oh nice! thanks for sharing! I also got an informal letter last week but still haven't recieved the official one yet. Waiting for a week made me think if they had mistakenly sent the letter haha

Congratulations!!! I received the email from the SSP admissions director, and I just realized that the funding info was also indicated in the attached letter, so I'm pretty sure it is real....

14 minutes ago, Kole_Kolt said:

Which part of State or the DoD are you thinking? On the Leahy Law side or? 

Just now, EscapingBrexit said:

Which part of State or the DoD are you thinking? On the Leahy Law side or? 

I'm honestly not super knowledgeable about the inner workings of State, but I think the part that would be of interest to me is the Bureau of Political-Military Affairs. And yes, I'd want to work on enforcing the Leahy amendments. I served in the military previously, and don't have much interest in working for the DoD again. I've also been interested in working for the Government Accountability Office since they have a team of analysts that audit defense issues. Basically, I'm interested in watchdog roles that provide oversight of arms sales and the training of foreign militaries. 

7 minutes ago, Kole_Kolt said:

I'm honestly not super knowledgeable about the inner workings of State, but I think the part that would be of interest to me is the Bureau of Political-Military Affairs. And yes, I'd want to work on enforcing the Leahy amendments. I served in the military previously, and don't have much interest in working for the DoD again. I've also been interested in working for the Government Accountability Office since they have a team of analysts that audit defense issues. Basically, I'm interested in watchdog roles that provide oversight of arms sales and the training of foreign militaries. 

That's awesome, very interesting career path for sure! Excited to see how you get on. 

1 hour ago, EscapingBrexit said:

Still nothing on the MSFS side, right?

Nothing yet. Per last year's forum, the emails were sent the day after MPP/SSP's results! 

But I do think we might be stuck waiting until next week sadly.