Feminist/Women's/Gender Studies PhD 2021 Cycle

Soc_Gen23

On 1/28/2021 at 5:26 PM, relantern said:

Looks like someone just got an interview at Rutgers over on the results page (congrats btw)! 

If you're on this thread, could you tell us if you know whether they've sent out all their interview invitations? 

Hi, that's me. I'm also a finalist for Emory and got an interview at Berkeley's rhetoric program. I'm concerned now that most people get into Rutgers without an interview? Be real-- is the fact that I got one a bad sign?

3 hours ago, deimy said:

Hi, that's me. I'm also a finalist for Emory and got an interview at Berkeley's rhetoric program. I'm concerned now that most people get into Rutgers without an interview? Be real-- is the fact that I got one a bad sign?

Congrats on the interviews! I think from looking back at results from previous years it seems like they usually do interviews! Can't see how it would be a bad sign, they're still interested in you and want to know more. Wouldn't imagine they'd spend their time talking with you if they weren't seriously considering you. 

Edited by relantern

3 hours ago, deimy said:

Absolutely agree with the suggestion above^ that it is in no way a bad sign. Good luck-- I hope you have a great interview with them! 

1 hour ago, blacksnow25 said:

Hi, I just received an invite to interview with Rutgers later this coming week (a finalist for Emory as well) -- Honestly, I absolutely share in the worry, but let's keep our heads held high and give it our best shot regardless! Good luck! 

This is awesome! Congratulations! :)
I guess they do interview candidates after all. Please do post how your interview goes-- good luck!! :)
May I ask what your area of interest within the field is? 

Edited by ShivD

On 1/31/2021 at 11:26 PM, ShivD said:

This is awesome! Congratulations! :)
I guess they do interview candidates after all. Please do post how your interview goes-- good luck!! :)
May I ask what your area of interest within the field is? 

Thank you! Really appreciate the support :)) I'm interested in the overlaps between Philosophy/Women's Studies :))

Hi everyone!

It's so great to see all the positive energy! I am so on edge waiting around to hear back from schools. In the meantime, what kind of stuff does everyone want to research, if y'all don't mind sharing. I am curious to see what everyone's research interests are. My research interests are mental health and the overlap between trans studies and disability studies with particular interest in how these overlaps show up in archives. 

Good luck everyone! 

5 hours ago, coffeegrad said:

Hi everyone!

It's so great to see all the positive energy! I am so on edge waiting around to hear back from schools. In the meantime, what kind of stuff does everyone want to research, if y'all don't mind sharing. I am curious to see what everyone's research interests are. My research interests are mental health and the overlap between trans studies and disability studies with particular interest in how these overlaps show up in archives. 

Good luck everyone! 

Ooh, would love to connect if you're comfortable, as I'm also in trans studies and one of my projects has a significant disability studies angle! I want to get more into archives as well after COVID once I can actually visit physical sites. 

Thanks for initiating this conversation. 

My research interests, at one level, are much more theoretical and abstract, hehe. But I am interested in thinking about questions of desire and its fraught relationship to politics, and what's been queer feminist theory's relationship to the travails of desire and complex terrain of fantasy. 

21 hours ago, coffeegrad said:

Hi everyone!

Good luck everyone! 

Hi, I think it's so exciting that we're all looking to research such different things!!! My research interests surround queer African history and modern day issues that have been impacted by colonialism and neocolonialism (including the impacts of patriarchy, evangelicalism, and international organizations).  

Hey y'all, so cool to finally see a forum discussing WGSS apps! I was wondering if anyone had heard back from Berkeley's Rhetoric programme? I noticed someone in the thread mentioned an interview and someone just posted about an offer on the results page. I'm guessing if I haven't heard back from them yet I should take that as a sign that I haven't been shortlisted but just wondering if anyone could shed some light! Thanks!

On 2/2/2021 at 5:14 PM, relantern said:

Ooh, would love to connect if you're comfortable, as I'm also in trans studies and one of my projects has a significant disability studies angle! I want to get more into archives as well after COVID once I can actually visit physical sites. 

Yes!! I would love to connect! I am super interested in hearing more about your work!

On 2/3/2021 at 12:56 AM, ShivD said:

Thanks for initiating this conversation. 

My research interests, at one level, are much more theoretical and abstract, hehe. But I am interested in thinking about questions of desire and its fraught relationship to politics, and what's been queer feminist theory's relationship to the travails of desire and complex terrain of fantasy. 

Oooooo that sounds very interesting! What kind of materials are you thinking you would want to work with to examine that relationship? It's totally okay if you do not know because I know a lot of us, myself included, dont have it pinned down all the way yet. Are you thinking of looking at literature to explore this?

On 2/3/2021 at 10:05 AM, venus99 said:

Hi, I think it's so exciting that we're all looking to research such different things!!! My research interests surround queer African history and modern day issues that have been impacted by colonialism and neocolonialism (including the impacts of patriarchy, evangelicalism, and international organizations).  

I agree! I love seeing what everyone else is interested in hehe. Your work sounds super important and amazing too!

17 hours ago, coffeegrad said:

Oooooo that sounds very interesting! What kind of materials are you thinking you would want to work with to examine that relationship? It's totally okay if you do not know because I know a lot of us, myself included, dont have it pinned down all the way yet. Are you thinking of looking at literature to explore this?

Thanks! As you do your research topic, pertinent and important :)
Yes, I am certainly interested in looking at films as part of my archive to look at this relation. But I am also interested in parsing this out from debates within recent queer feminist movements, including MeToo, and some public controversies in India. 

hi everyone ! Thanks for creating this space <3 

has anyone heard from UCLA Gender Studies? I'm seeing some rejections here on the the Results page but I have not heard anything or seen anything on the app portal...

hope you are all surviving the waiting agony. it's truly awful (i don't remember the undergrad wait being this bad haha!) 

Also waiting to hear back from UCLA Gender studies  - wondering if there are a lot of us still but I am also perplexed by the fact that rejections went out alrrady and we havent seen any acceptances. Waiting is rough and Ive only gotten rejections so far so this lack of news is hopefully a good thing... Good luck to you all!!

On 2/3/2021 at 10:10 AM, Undeuxtrois said:

Hey y'all, so cool to finally see a forum discussing WGSS apps! I was wondering if anyone had heard back from Berkeley's Rhetoric programme? I noticed someone in the thread mentioned an interview and someone just posted about an offer on the results page. I'm guessing if I haven't heard back from them yet I should take that as a sign that I haven't been shortlisted but just wondering if anyone could shed some light! Thanks!

Hi, I'm the person who got in (with interview) and reported it. I think most decisions are out, including waitlist. I say this because the graduate director told me that they had a good selection of admitted students this year so I assume they already know who they are and have been notified and also some people on the waitlist have been notified too. Sorry :( . It's my only yes so far (waiting on Emory and Rutgers, which I would probably pick over Berkeley).

7 hours ago, deimy said:

Hi, I'm the person who got in (with interview) and reported it. I think most decisions are out, including waitlist. I say this because the graduate director told me that they had a good selection of admitted students this year so I assume they already know who they are and have been notified and also some people on the waitlist have been notified too. Sorry :( . It's my only yes so far (waiting on Emory and Rutgers, which I would probably pick over Berkeley).

Oh that's alright, thanks for letting me know! I'm also waiting to hear back from Rutgers, assuming it'll be this week. 

This is the second time I apply for WGSS programs and I swear I might get rejected again from all programs this cycle. 
I am pretty much dying waiting for decisions. Seriously never applying for a PhD if I fail at this one more time.  Life probably has wayyyyy better things for me than this corrupt academic system. 

:))))) just wanted to rant on here since this is the Feminist Studies forum and I don't really care. 

1 hour ago, anxious_chic said:

This is the second time I apply for WGSS programs and I swear I might get rejected again from all programs this cycle. 
I am pretty much dying waiting for decisions. Seriously never applying for a PhD if I fail at this one more time.  Life probably has wayyyyy better things for me than this corrupt academic system. 

:))))) just wanted to rant on here since this is the Feminist Studies forum and I don't really care. 

It honestly is so awful on how hard it is to get into schools, not based on ability to do the work but based on funding. I don't plan to apply another cycle for WGSS after this year either. I wish you the best of luck hearing back from programs!

Edited by Soc_Gen23

1 hour ago, anxious_chic said:

This is my first time applying for PhDs, but I'm really feeling this. I mostly applied to WGSS programs and it's not looking very promising so far. Sending you best wishes both for this application cycle and also outside of academia if you end up pursuing that route <3

32 minutes ago, relantern said:

This is my first time applying for PhDs, but I'm really feeling this. I mostly applied to WGSS programs and it's not looking very promising so far. Sending you best wishes both for this application cycle and also outside of academia if you end up pursuing that route ❤️

thank you so much! ❤️  Wishing you the best too!! Good luck :)