Feminist/Women's/Gender Studies PhD 2021 Cycle

Soc_Gen23

27 minutes ago, Btab92 said:

Hello, did you have an update on your portal? I am still showing in review today. 

Yes there is an update on my portal with the decision. You can contact Dr. Heather Switzer and ask her about admission decisions. Her email should be on the gender studies page if I remember correctly. I apologize, I don’t have it on hand at the moment. 

9 minutes ago, Iread4aliving said:

Yes there is an update on my portal with the decision. You can contact Dr. Heather Switzer and ask her about admission decisions. Her email should be on the gender studies page if I remember correctly. I apologize, I don’t have it on hand at the moment. 

Thanks for the update. I will reach out. 

I also applied to ASU and checked my portal but it is still "under review". Can anyone here confirm acceptances or rejections from their portal check? I'm still surprised many of us have not heard back from ASU. 

1 hour ago, Soc_Gen23 said:

I also applied to ASU and checked my portal but it is still "under review". Can anyone here confirm acceptances or rejections from their portal check? I'm still surprised many of us have not heard back from ASU. 

I received a response from one of the professors saying they expect notifications to go out soon. 

Edited by Btab92

Hi i was admitted to Rutgers WGSS on Feb 9th- i was a wgs major in undergrad too, but I worry about the academic market (as anyone else might). I worry that i need a traditional discipline to make me an attractive PhD candidate. i applied to mostly anthro programs and then Rutgers WGSS. I'm accepting the offer, but I'm also wondering if anyone else is worried about interdisciplinary placement. Why did you guys choose WGSS over a discipline I guess? i'm curious.

On 2/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, deimy said:

Hi, I'm the person who got in (with interview) and reported it. I think most decisions are out, including waitlist. I say this because the graduate director told me that they had a good selection of admitted students this year so I assume they already know who they are and have been notified and also some people on the waitlist have been notified too. Sorry :( . It's my only yes so far (waiting on Emory and Rutgers, which I would probably pick over Berkeley).

Congrats on Berkeley!! I'm kind of curious why you said you would choose Rutgers over Berkeley

15 minutes ago, theinterdisciplinarybind said:

Congrats on Berkeley!! I'm kind of curious why you said you would choose Rutgers over Berkeley

hi, so I would choose those over Berkeley because I don’t like the west coast lmao and also because I felt like WGSS would be a better fit for me than Rhetoric. however, I just got rejected from Emory and will probably not get admitted to Rutgers off the waitlist so this decision will likely be made for me (though I also got admitted to Tufts English and waitlisted at Yale Philosophy). in the past few weeks though I’ve realized that Rhetoric is a really good fit for me because it’s even more interdisciplinary that WGSS which fits my project better. also my BF got admitted to San Francisco State so that’s a plus since he’s for sure coming with me. Rutgers WGSS is a really good program so you shouldn’t worry too much about getting a job as long as you do well/get publications etc! being in an interdisciplinary field does make things harder but if you wanted job security above all else I’m sure you wouldn’t be applying to grad school n.n    also we really don’t know what the market will look like in 6-8 years. maybe we will live under feminist authoritarianism and they’ll need WGSS phds to run shit etc. maybe a far right administration will dissolve all gender studies programs as has happened in other countries! I’m not worried about placement because I don’t want to go into academia (I want to be a librarian) I’m just trying to have a good time and have health insurance

2 minutes ago, deimy said:

hi, so I would choose those over Berkeley because I don’t like the west coast lmao and also because I felt like WGSS would be a better fit for me than Rhetoric. however, I just got rejected from Emory and will probably not get admitted to Rutgers off the waitlist so this decision will likely be made for me (though I also got admitted to Tufts English and waitlisted at Yale Philosophy). in the past few weeks though I’ve realized that Rhetoric is a really good fit for me because it’s even more interdisciplinary that WGSS which fits my project better. also my BF got admitted to San Francisco State so that’s a plus since he’s for sure coming with me. Rutgers WGSS is a really good program so you shouldn’t worry too much about getting a job as long as you do well/get publications etc! being in an interdisciplinary field does make things harder but if you wanted job security above all else I’m sure you wouldn’t be applying to grad school n.n    also we really don’t know what the market will look like in 6-8 years. maybe we will live under feminist authoritarianism and they’ll need WGSS phds to run shit etc. maybe a far right administration will dissolve all gender studies programs as has happened in other countries! I’m not worried about placement because I don’t want to go into academia (I want to be a librarian) I’m just trying to have a good time and have health insurance

Word. Thank you for that! Yeah Rhetoric is awesome for post/colonial studies too + you'll get to think with Judith Butler & enjoy the sun!

Fellow ASU applicants- Is your portal still listing "In Review"? I know one said that it had been updated, but any movement for anyone else? It's been a week since I reached out to a professor, so just wanted to check-in!

3 hours ago, Btab92 said:

Fellow ASU applicants- Is your portal still listing "In Review"? I know one said that it had been updated, but any movement for anyone else? It's been a week since I reached out to a professor, so just wanted to check-in!

They just responded to my email and said hopefully this week!

Hi all. fellow bundle of anxiety here. From my understanding, ASU has offered admissions to all students- the department head also said they do not have an official waiting list. I was conditionally offered a spot should they find the funding.

Edited by Goldleah

Hello friends, 

Anybody have any insight in choosing between the programs at Emory and Rutgers? In a bit of a mental stalemate and thought that hearing about some of the considerations you have kept in mind making decisions might lend some much needed clarity! Sending good luck to those waiting on decisions/waitlists, and sending hearty congratulations to those who have accepted offers!

Edited by blacksnow25

Anyone heard from Indiana Gender studies phd? I have two rejections, one waitlist (that quite frankly i think is unlikely to change) from emory, and I just want to know already about IUB. I did an interview with them at the end of Jan but its been radio silence since.

1 hour ago, scrave said:

Anyone heard from Indiana Gender studies phd? I have two rejections, one waitlist (that quite frankly i think is unlikely to change) from emory, and I just want to know already about IUB. I did an interview with them at the end of Jan but its been radio silence since.

I haven't heard anything at all from them, but I didn't have an interview with them. I'm surprised that there's so little on their results page! I have 1 rejection, 2 waitlists, and the other 6 programs are radio silent, so I'd love to hear anything at all from them.

19 hours ago, chloealexs said:

I haven't heard anything at all from them, but I didn't have an interview with them. I'm surprised that there's so little on their results page! I have 1 rejection, 2 waitlists, and the other 6 programs are radio silent, so I'd love to hear anything at all from them.

Yes, I have read in other sites and forums that they wait till the end of the month to send out rejections, but I am crossing my fingers for some waitlist news. Best of luck to you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • hiiiii i'm just wondering if anyone else who interviewed for UMD's PhD in Gender Studies has heard back yet? In my exit interview, they said it would be by the end of the month and I haven't heard anything : / I'm assuming it's a no at this point, but I'd love to know if anyone else who interviewed has heard anything (also if you did interview, you are amazing! I was so starstruck by everyone on that call- such a shame that they make these programs so elitest/small).

I was wondering if anyone from the Rutgers waitlist had been accepted or rejected. I haven't heard anything for a while now and i don't think I can deal with the suspense anymore lol. I'm assuming there's a higher chance of rejection than of acceptance but I'm wondering why they haven't said anything yet. If anyone's heard anything, please let me know and release me from this once and for all! Lol jk but I would appreciate any info. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Congratulations to all who have gotten in!

My partner is planning to apply to the WGS and Feminist Studies programs as well as some interdisciplinary programs in humanities such as Rhetoric at Berkeley the next cycle. I know that this is still early and you are still waiting and making decisions but just wanted to ask if you would be willing to share with us your statements of purposes/research statements?

We'd really appreciate any help!

Best of luck to those who are still waiting and making their decisions.

Edited by Appiah4

On 3/27/2021 at 4:38 AM, Undeuxtrois said:

I was wondering if anyone from the Rutgers waitlist had been accepted or rejected. I haven't heard anything for a while now and i don't think I can deal with the suspense anymore lol. I'm assuming there's a higher chance of rejection than of acceptance but I'm wondering why they haven't said anything yet. If anyone's heard anything, please let me know and release me from this once and for all! Lol jk but I would appreciate any info. 

I just got in off the waitlist at Rutgers. will probably reject and go to Berkeley rhetoric but am waiting on my BF to get decisions from CUNY and columbia. funding was also better at berkeley

On 4/9/2021 at 2:11 AM, deimy said:

I just got in off the waitlist at Rutgers. will probably reject and go to Berkeley rhetoric but am waiting on my BF to get decisions from CUNY and columbia. funding was also better at berkeley

Hey Deimy - congrats on getting off the waitlist @ Rutgers. I would be in that incoming cohort class if you accepted, but if you'd like to talk about Rutgers WGSS (I was an undergrad in the dept as well), happy to talk privately. Also want to add that while Berkeley's funding might be better, it's perhaps commensurate to the bay area being absurdly expensive.