2022 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neur0naut

17 hours ago, sem12 said:

I wonder if NYU is done sending. 

Also wonder if Columbia will send before Christmas or after?

So NYU finished sending the first round of interviews. There might be a second round depending on the response of the first but that decision won't be until January 

Hope it helps and good luck!

Hi everyone, I'm from a math background so I'm not super familiar with the conventions in neuroscience admissions, I had a few questions I was hoping people here would be more knowledgeable on:

1) I've seen people posting "no interview = silent rejects" because they weren't in the first round of interviews, does it usually tend to work like that or does it vary by program/department?

2) I applied mostly to computational programs/tracks (typically housed within a neuro department), does anyone know if those work on the same timeline as straight up neuro programs? Like hearing about interviews in late December/early January-ish (which seems crazy early to me since most of my math apps aren't even due until mid-January lol). I don't know if I should be getting antsy about not hearing back from anything yet since it seems like most people are getting interviews left and right or if I should expect those work on quant program timelines. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, winstonian3 said:

UT Austin is confusing me. Apparently someone received a rejection email (and they had insane stats). And a few have reported interviews. Haven't heard anything myself...

That was me! I only found out I got rejected by emailing the program coordinator directly. If you haven't yet heard from them, I think it's safe to assume rejection.

3 minutes ago, punishingly.introspective said:

That was me! I only found out I got rejected by emailing the program coordinator directly. If you haven't yet heard from them, I think it's safe to assume rejection.

Wow. That does not bode well lol. What does "NHW" mean in your bio mean, btw?

13 minutes ago, qq2 said:

Hi everyone, I'm from a math background so I'm not super familiar with the conventions in neuroscience admissions, I had a few questions I was hoping people here would be more knowledgeable on:

1) I've seen people posting "no interview = silent rejects" because they weren't in the first round of interviews, does it usually tend to work like that or does it vary by program/department?

2) I applied mostly to computational programs/tracks (typically housed within a neuro department), does anyone know if those work on the same timeline as straight up neuro programs? Like hearing about interviews in late December/early January-ish (which seems crazy early to me since most of my math apps aren't even due until mid-January lol). I don't know if I should be getting antsy about not hearing back from anything yet since it seems like most people are getting interviews left and right or if I should expect those work on quant program timelines. Thanks!

Well here’s the thing, most information on this website is speculation. Take it with a grain of salt. Don’t keep your expectations high either as the stats of getting into any program is ridiculously low. For that program I got rejected to, only 11% got interviews and 3% got accepted. Unless a program directly states that invitations to interviews is officially over, I wouldn’t give up either. All in all, best thing to do would be probably only to use this website if you do get an interview so you can speak to people that are in a similar boat as you are. 

4 hours ago, San D said:

So NYU finished sending the first round of interviews. There might be a second round depending on the response of the first but that decision won't be until January 

Hope it helps and good luck!

Big sad.... NYU is weird tho. I applied there 2 years ago. Got an interview in late Jan, so don't lose hope!

Edited by smous

6 minutes ago, TheNewScientist said:

Hey, how was the interview like? Can you share with us?

It was pretty chill. I got all 7 interviewers I had selected. There are different styles for each interview but bottom-line, be ready to talk about you've done in the past, know PIs' research before going in for the interview, some people ask technical questions especially if you're theory focused. Talking to the student hosts is the best way of getting to know the program and the culture in the cohort.

First day at CNS; second day at the medical school. Intro to the program and each subdivision; poster sessions by students; presentation by PIs.

It was like this before the pandemic, so I'm not sure how it'll look this year.

Hope this helps

6 hours ago, Cellfies4dayz said:

BCS and Stanford are typically in January.

It looks like in years past there are a couple invites in December for BCS, but seems like it's clear admits more on the cognitive side. This is speculation though. 

It seems that most people who have received interview from MIT are on molecule track. Maybe they send different tracks separately?

6 hours ago, punishingly.introspective said:

When checking your MyStatus, does your application status reflect that? Mine still says "in review" and I haven't gotten an email :(

2 hours ago, KCallen said:

When checking your MyStatus, does your application status reflect that? Mine still says "in review" and I haven't gotten an email :(

Nope, mystatus still says in review :(

Also, to whoever asked earlier — NHW = non Hispanic white. 

5 hours ago, luluhaya said:

I hoped to hear back before Christmas, but seems like it's slower that I expected. 

Has anyone heard back from CMU neural computation?

CMU neural computation FAQ page says the office is closed from dec. 22 - jan 2 and might delay processing, so I wouldn't expect to hear anything back for a while. I also did my undergrad at CMU and my PI there said the committee he is on for selecting interviews hasn't sent out any invitations yet (as of Monday). 

I applied to Harvard, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, U of Washington, UNC, UVA, and UC Berkeley.  I have not received any interview invites yet.  I wish I applied to more schools.  Has anyone heard from the University of Virginia yet?  It sounds like invites went out for the rest already. ?

9 hours ago, caligirl said:

CMU neural computation FAQ page says the office is closed from dec. 22 - jan 2 and might delay processing, so I wouldn't expect to hear anything back for a while. I also did my undergrad at CMU and my PI there said the committee he is on for selecting interviews hasn't sent out any invitations yet (as of Monday). 

Is that the same case for CMU Systems?