2022 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neur0naut

11 minutes ago, hypothalamus said:

Someone posted that they received an acceptance a few days ago from a program I interviewed at, but I have not heard anything. Should I assume I'm getting rejected?

I wouldn't just yet, I was in the same situation a few weeks ago and I ended up getting accepted! I interviewed during the school's only interview session and saw someone post an acceptance a week later, I was pretty sad but about a week after that I got my acceptance letter. It seems like most places have rolling acceptances especially if the letters/calls are personalized because the faculty are so busy. Good luck to you and I hope you hear back soon!

7 hours ago, hypothalamus said:

Someone posted that they received an acceptance a few days ago from a program I interviewed at, but I have not heard anything. Should I assume I'm getting rejected?

I was on that same boat. People received acceptances last Friday and I received my rejection this morning ;s No clue why they took a full week.

On 2/7/2022 at 7:57 PM, hj19 said:

just got a rejection from CMU PNC, not even a waitlist after interviews :( 

Same, but honestly not that sad about it. I feel like they don't have many labs to choose from, and apparently it makes things complicated to choose a Pitt lab when you go to CMU.

is it safe to assume that if I haven't heard anything from universities at this point about a interview, I'm not getting an offer?

i've already done 3 interviews with schools and officially accepted to 2 schools, but i'm curious about 1 - 2 schools i haven't heard anything from, other than my application is under review about a month ago.

thanks in advance. been a loooooonggg time lurker of this forum :)

edit: specifically georgia state university + albert einstein 

Edited by imsorrymouse

Here are my admissions results so far. What I've learned is this processes is kind of like sorority/fraternity recruitment LOL and getting rejected from somewhere does not mean you won't get accepted to a top tier school:

Johns Hopkins: interview, accepted

UMB: interview, accepted

UMiami: Interview, accepted

Pitt: interview, rejected

CMU: interview, rejected

CUNY: interview, waitlisted

UIC: interview, ?

NYU: interview, ?

Upenn: rejected

Northwestern: rejected

Columbia: ?

GWU: ?

Temple: ?

UCSC: ?

UCSB: ?

1 hour ago, borgqueen said:

Here are my admissions results so far. What I've learned is this processes is kind of like sorority/fraternity recruitment LOL and getting rejected from somewhere does not mean you won't get accepted to a top tier school:

Johns Hopkins: interview, accepted

UMB: interview, accepted

UMiami: Interview, accepted

Pitt: interview, rejected

CMU: interview, rejected

CUNY: interview, waitlisted

UIC: interview, ?

NYU: interview, ?

Upenn: rejected

Northwestern: rejected

Columbia: ?

GWU: ?

Temple: ?

UCSC: ?

UCSB: ?

Hi there- I interviewed at UIC and got an offer a few weeks back. Not sure if they're planning on sending out more offers. Best of luck!

On 2/11/2022 at 5:11 PM, luckyme said:

Anyone got results from UIUC neuroscience program?

I had an interview and the open house on 19-21th and I haven't heard back from them yet.

I am a bit worried since this is my LAST chance!!

I got an informal offer from my PI!

Currently waiting for the formal offer to arrive.

Anyone knows how long it takes to get a formal letter?

Good luck to everyone!! This was my last chance and I cannot believe I got in!!!

On 2/20/2022 at 7:23 PM, imsorrymouse said:

is it safe to assume that if I haven't heard anything from universities at this point about a interview, I'm not getting an offer?

i've already done 3 interviews with schools and officially accepted to 2 schools, but i'm curious about 1 - 2 schools i haven't heard anything from, other than my application is under review about a month ago.

thanks in advance. been a loooooonggg time lurker of this forum :)

edit: specifically georgia state university + albert einstein 

You will hear back if you're waitlisted. I was waitlisted from Georgetown but haven't heard from them at all. I just know because I got in contact with the admin in Jan. I never interviewed either. 

Question-- what's typical etiquette for how long u take to decide when accepting/rejecting offers? I was given an offer from my top choice a couple weeks ago and anticipate ultimately accepting with them, but have a trip out of town to tour the campus of another school i have an acceptance from and want to make my final decision after i've seen both campuses. But i dont know how long is too long... thoughts?

On 2/11/2022 at 12:48 PM, uninvitedColumbus said:

Congrats on the acceptances!

When did you get JHU PBS offer? And if it's alright who was your PI of choice? 

Edit: Also, why aren't you considering UPenn neuro?

Sorry just saw this. Got the PBS offer a couple weeks ago. Co-mentored by Drs. Barrett and Chen. 

w/r/t UPenn neuro, I'm still slightly considering it, but they don't have a lab that does work in my specific area

17 hours ago, ninjasub2 said:

Question-- what's typical etiquette for how long u take to decide when accepting/rejecting offers? I was given an offer from my top choice a couple weeks ago and anticipate ultimately accepting with them, but have a trip out of town to tour the campus of another school i have an acceptance from and want to make my final decision after i've seen both campuses. But i dont know how long is too long... thoughts?

Usually it is till April 15th that you have to give a final decision to a school (your acceptance letter should state by when you should get back to them). Adcoms are aware that if they accept you, chances are you are accepted from multiple places. That’s why they do the invitation to the campus to sell you the program one last time before you make a decision. If you can, just try to make that decision sooner than later, because your denial of an offer means someone else gets accepted and the earlier that is, the better.