2021 Results

3 minutes ago, mildlyconfusedmar said:

SAIS told me the 5th! A Fletcher admission reached out and told me they had read my app and that decisions would be out "in early March" -- not sure what that means.

Someone from Fletcher Admission also reached out to me and told me the same. 

2 hours ago, mildlyconfusedmar said:

SAIS told me the 5th! A Fletcher admission reached out and told me they had read my app and that decisions would be out "in early March" -- not sure what that means.

2 hours ago, W. Noow said:

Someone from Fletcher Admission also reached out to me and told me the same. 

Did the Fletcher folks contact y'all out of nowhere, or did you ask for an update? Haven't heard a peep from them! 

2 hours ago, mildlyconfusedmar said:

I applied to a joint program offered by Fletcher, and got the acceptance yesterday!!
Y'all should hear back soon. Wish you all the best!

Edited by omoon

On 2/20/2021 at 9:11 PM, mjmcflurry said:

Program Applied To: MPA
Schools Applied To:  Columbia SIPA, Syracuse Maxwell, GWU Trachtenberg, American SPA, UW Evans
Schools Admitted To:  Syracuse Maxwell (funding determined in March), American SPA (funding determined in March), UW Evans (no funding)
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting:  Columbia, GWU
Undergraduate Institution:  Midwestern state school
Undergraduate GPA:  3.1 (raised over three years from below 3.0 with last few semesters over 3.8)
Undergraduate Major:  English, International Studies, Journalism minor
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  166 V | 150 Q | 5.0 AW
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  8
Years of Work Experience:  7
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Most work experience has been in corporate tech, but four years of political volunteer work with steady increase of leadership/responsibility. 
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Very happy with it -- had multiple people in higher ed and public sector review.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Strong: two managers from old job at a well-known tech company and the chair of an executive board I serve on for my state Democratic party. 

Quoting my original post since the forum won't let me edit to update it, for some reason! Congrats to everyone getting admissions emails this week! 

Edited by mjmcflurry

3 hours ago, omoon said:

I applied to a joint program offered by Fletcher, and got the acceptance yesterday!!

Congratulations ! Which programs did you apply? 

4 hours ago, burnt_toast said:

Did the Fletcher folks contact y'all out of nowhere, or did you ask for an update? Haven't heard a peep from them! 

For me, it was out of no where. I don't think I ever wrote anything to Fletcher admission office at all.

Edited by W. Noow

On 2/25/2021 at 8:30 PM, DargSchoolDarg said:

Can confirm re: American fin aid offers. Offered 25K total. Curious what others got! I don’t think there’s an American thread for this year. 

I received 34k from American, but I may end up declining so hopefully the aid will go to others. I just received full tuition at GWU Elliott for a fellowship I applied for separately from my application. I might try to negotiate with American. 

10 minutes ago, fkeod021 said:

I received 34k from American, but I may end up declining so hopefully the aid will go to others. I just received full tuition at GWU Elliott for a fellowship I applied for separately from my application. I might try to negotiate with American. 

Huge congratulations! That is amazing news! Congratulations on your success with your GWU fellowship too - you are in a fantastic position!

6 minutes ago, EscapingBrexit said:

Huge congratulations! That is amazing news! Congratulations on your success with your GWU fellowship too - you are in a fantastic position!

Thank you so much, you are very kind! Congratulations on your acceptances as well! 

7 hours ago, fkeod021 said:

Hi! First of all, Congrats!!!!

I also got accepted to Elliott but they didn't inform me about funding. May I ask which program you're in? 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, goodvibesonly said:

Hi! First of all, Congrats!!!!

I also got accepted to Elliott but they didn't inform me about funding. May I ask which program you're in? 

Thanks!

Thank you, and congrats on your acceptance! I am in the International Development program. Since the fellowship I was notified about had a separate application I think it’s possible Elliott still hasn’t sent out the application based funding maybe?

21 hours ago, fkeod021 said:

May I ask which fellowship this is?

On 2/17/2021 at 9:55 AM, scholarloading said:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.):  MPA/MPP/MIA
Schools Applied To: Columbia SIPA, Tufts Fletcher, HKS, Yale Jackson, Princeton SPIA, Georgetown SFS, Johns Hopkins SAIS, GWU Elliott, American SIS
Schools Admitted To: Columbia SIPA ($$), Tufts Fletcher (waiting on funding), American SIS (waiting on funding), 
Schools Rejected From:  None yet
Still Waiting:  
GWU Elliott, Georgetown SFS, HKS, Yale Jackson, Princeton SPIA, Johns Hopkins SAIS
Undergraduate Institution: Private top-ranked Liberal Arts College
Undergraduate GPA:  4.0
Undergraduate Major: IR/Development
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  162/162/4.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  1
Years of Work Experience:  1
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Think tank
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I think it was decent...
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  One professional, two academic. Worked extensively with all 3. Fairly confident in my recs.

Would love to stay updated on your admissions! i have almost the same stats and am looking at applying at almost the same schools. Taking a second year off working as a Research Associate then applying!!

On 2/26/2021 at 7:36 PM, omoon said:

Congrats! What joint program was it? I applied to one in Fletcher and had an interview but am still waiting to hear back. 

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MPA
Schools Applied To:  Chicago Harris, Princeton SPIA, UT LBJ, Georgetown McCourt
Schools Admitted To:  McCourt ($), Harris ($$), LBJ (In-state)
Schools Rejected From:  None yet
Still Waiting:  SPIA
Undergraduate Institution:  Small Liberal Arts School
Undergraduate GPA:  3.7
Undergraduate Major:  English and Political Science, Jewish Studies Focus
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  147/160/4.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  .5
Years of Work Experience:  2
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  I have been working with the same member of the State House of Representatives for two years and I head our office's healthcare legislation. Additionally, I was part of the team that established my University's first Diversity and Inclusion Office, where I conducted research and wrote white papers about targeted Diversity Initiatives.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I really think my story is my strong-suit. I was a Gates Scholar in undergrad, first-gen, Pell Grant, minority student etc. Wrote my SOP about how I got interested in policy due to my interactions with various government programs growing up and how my approach to research in undergrad was a result of that uncommon background. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I feel like these were strong, too. One was written by my Quantitative Research Methods prof who was also my research mentor. I wanted to make sure that I had someone who could speak to my quant skills bc obvi those are not my strong-suit. Other letters were written by my academic advisor (who literally met me my first day of undergrad and is a close mentor), and my direct supervisor at my policy job.  
Other: I have presented quantitative research on Zillennial voting behavior internationally and published on Holocaust memorialization and narrative storytelling. 

I am anxiously waiting for Princeton's response right now because if I get in, I am for sure attending in the Fall. Honestly, I am surprised at the responses I have gotten thus far. Totally thought I was going to get into one MAYBE two of the programs I applied to and that was going to be it. Who knows if I can get into Princeton? I'm turning down my McCourt offer this week so the spot can open up for folks on the Waitlist!