2021 Results

17 minutes ago, ejb1998 said:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MPA
Schools Applied To:  Chicago Harris, Princeton SPIA, UT LBJ, Georgetown McCourt
Schools Admitted To:  McCourt ($), Harris ($$), LBJ (In-state)
Schools Rejected From:  None yet
Still Waiting:  SPIA
Undergraduate Institution:  Small Liberal Arts School
Undergraduate GPA:  3.7
Undergraduate Major:  English and Political Science, Jewish Studies Focus
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  147/160/4.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  .5
Years of Work Experience:  2
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  I have been working with the same member of the State House of Representatives for two years and I head our office's healthcare legislation. Additionally, I was part of the team that established my University's first Diversity and Inclusion Office, where I conducted research and wrote white papers about targeted Diversity Initiatives.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I really think my story is my strong-suit. I was a Gates Scholar in undergrad, first-gen, Pell Grant, minority student etc. Wrote my SOP about how I got interested in policy due to my interactions with various government programs growing up and how my approach to research in undergrad was a result of that uncommon background. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I feel like these were strong, too. One was written by my Quantitative Research Methods prof who was also my research mentor. I wanted to make sure that I had someone who could speak to my quant skills bc obvi those are not my strong-suit. Other letters were written by my academic advisor (who literally met me my first day of undergrad and is a close mentor), and my direct supervisor at my policy job.  
Other: I have presented quantitative research on Zillennial voting behavior internationally and published on Holocaust memorialization and narrative storytelling. 

I am anxiously waiting for Princeton's response right now because if I get in, I am for sure attending in the Fall. Honestly, I am surprised at the responses I have gotten thus far. Totally thought I was going to get into one MAYBE two of the programs I applied to and that was going to be it. Who knows if I can get into Princeton? I'm turning down my McCourt offer this week so the spot can open up for folks on the Waitlist! 

When did you hear from McCourt?

9 minutes ago, ejb1998 said:

I applied Round 1 so I heard back from them in Mid-January! 

Oh, gotcha! I applied for the priority deadline set in mid-january and am still anxiously awaiting!  ?

3 hours ago, EscapingBrexit said:

Looks like some Maxwell results are out too, according to the results page. Congrats on your Wagner acceptance!

I got an email from Maxwell admissions staff about my acceptance, but official notice and funding info is yet to come! 

Edited by mjmcflurry

4 hours ago, ejb1998 said:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MPA
Schools Applied To:  Chicago Harris, Princeton SPIA, UT LBJ, Georgetown McCourt
Schools Admitted To:  McCourt ($), Harris ($$), LBJ (In-state)
Schools Rejected From:  None yet
Still Waiting:  SPIA
Undergraduate Institution:  Small Liberal Arts School
Undergraduate GPA:  3.7
Undergraduate Major:  English and Political Science, Jewish Studies Focus
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  147/160/4.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  .5
Years of Work Experience:  2
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  I have been working with the same member of the State House of Representatives for two years and I head our office's healthcare legislation. Additionally, I was part of the team that established my University's first Diversity and Inclusion Office, where I conducted research and wrote white papers about targeted Diversity Initiatives.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I really think my story is my strong-suit. I was a Gates Scholar in undergrad, first-gen, Pell Grant, minority student etc. Wrote my SOP about how I got interested in policy due to my interactions with various government programs growing up and how my approach to research in undergrad was a result of that uncommon background. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I feel like these were strong, too. One was written by my Quantitative Research Methods prof who was also my research mentor. I wanted to make sure that I had someone who could speak to my quant skills bc obvi those are not my strong-suit. Other letters were written by my academic advisor (who literally met me my first day of undergrad and is a close mentor), and my direct supervisor at my policy job.  
Other: I have presented quantitative research on Zillennial voting behavior internationally and published on Holocaust memorialization and narrative storytelling. 

I am anxiously waiting for Princeton's response right now because if I get in, I am for sure attending in the Fall. Honestly, I am surprised at the responses I have gotten thus far. Totally thought I was going to get into one MAYBE two of the programs I applied to and that was going to be it. Who knows if I can get into Princeton? I'm turning down my McCourt offer this week so the spot can open up for folks on the Waitlist! 

Congratulations! When did you hear from LBJ? 

4 minutes ago, inkansasnomore said:

Congratulations! When did you hear from LBJ? 

Thanks! I heard from them late on Friday. I haven't heard about financial aid yet but I am starting to think I just didn't get any? I'm in-state so no aid isn't a major dealbreaker, I wish that I got some tho.

Speaking of McCourt, looks like someone posted an admissions result for the MPP that they say they received today.  I haven't heard a thing -- do we have a sense that they trickle in? I didn't think it was a rolling decision situation with them. 

Obviously, I am with those of you who are going a little batty ha

Edited by MPPNYC

10 minutes ago, MPPNYC said:

Speaking of McCourt, looks like someone posted an admissions result for the MPP that they say they received today.  I haven't heard a thing -- do we have a sense that they trickle in? I didn't think it was a rolling decision situation with them. 

Obviously, I am with those of you who are going a little batty ha

That person applied early decision in December and heard back in mid-January of their acceptance. I applied on the Jan 15 deadline and haven't heard anything yet, but fingers crossed for news (and money) soon! 

1 minute ago, qwertympp said:

That person applied early decision in December and heard back in mid-January of their acceptance. I applied on the Jan 15 deadline and haven't heard anything yet, but fingers crossed for news (and money) soon! 

Maybe that's the reason, but it does say it was received via email today. (Search "Georgetown" in results, and it pops up.) 

But I'm glad I am not alone in still waiting, at least!  

1 hour ago, wctcravensworth said:

Has anybody else here heard anything from FAFSA? I sent in my info for all 3 schools I applied around the same time I submitted my applications. Still haven't heard anything, although I have received funding info from American. 

Not sure if this is what you’re asking but I heard twice separately from American, once for merit funding, and another time for FASFA saying is was eligible to borrow the full amount of student loans, etc etc. 

3 minutes ago, DargSchoolDarg said:

Not sure if this is what you’re asking but I heard twice separately from American, once for merit funding, and another time for FASFA saying is was eligible to borrow the full amount of student loans, etc etc. 

Thanks, I haven't heard anything from FAFSA but got my funding from American. Did you reach out to FAFSA first or did they just email you?  

Program Applied To: MPP

Schools Applied To: Harris, McCourt (evening program), Sanford, Trachtenberg

Schools Admitted To: Harris(~40% funding), McCourt(~33%)

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: Sanford, Trachtenberg

Undergraduate GPA: 3.54

Undergraduate Major: Economics & Psychology

GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores: 155/162/4.5 (only submitted to McCourt)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2.5 (3 by the time program starts)

Years of Work Experience: 2.5/3 - 3.5/4 if you count econ research assistantship during undergrad

Describe Relevant Work Experience: First year was at a nonprofit research organization, mostly education (intervention/implementation) related research, lots of data work. Last year and a half in the federal government. Still mostly data heavy policy research, but more directly related to the policymaking process.

Strength of SOP: Good, but definitely could have been better. Waited a bit too long to get started on most of them. Even still, think it gave a good overview of what got me interested in policy, how my work experience has built on that, and why I feel getting this degree is a necessary next step in my career.

Strength of LORs: Probably very important to my application. My current supervisor, a senior colleague I work very closely with on issues I'm interested in (and mentioned this interest in my SOP), and a professor I worked very closely with in undergrad.

Other: Honestly was pretty shocked to get into Harris (didn't even submit my GRE - although I did have A/A-'s in quant classes - Econometrics, Micro, Macro, stats - which I think helped). However, heavily leaning toward McCourt as I plan to keep my current job and do school part time. Hoping to get some more funding from them, though, so any tips/insight on negotiating is welcome!

Program Applied To: MA- Global Affairs, IAPA, IEP

Schools Applied To: SIS, Elliott, Seton Hall, Jackson (Yale), Munk (Toronto)

Schools Admitted To: SIS (~18K/yr + stipend), Seton Hall (awaiting funding), Elliott (awaiting funding)

Schools Rejected From: None

Still Waiting: Jackson, Munk

Undergraduate GPA: 3.62

Undergraduate Major: Economics & Finance

GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores: 158/157/4

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3 years at start of program

Years of Work Experience: 3 years

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Been with a large regional bank for 3 years in credit. Underwrite commercial real estate loans. No significant public policy/international experience yet.

Strength of SOP: I think I did a good job. I don’t have the international/policy background as other candidates but that’s what I want to build. The programs I am going for are economics and analysis driven, which are my main strengths. Most of my essay was reconciling my strengths to my goals in policy analysis. 

Strength of LORs: 1 professional (current manager) & 2 academic (senior thesis advisor and published economist) 

Other: This is a career pivot for me, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. So far, I am thrilled. I was thinking one or two schools with limited funding. Waiting on funding, but I think I will be able to negotiate between GWU and American (top 2 schools). Maybe Yale too!

Also, congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far! Lurking on this forum has kept me sane. It’s good to know other people are just as excited/nervous as me! 

long time lurker, this week has been peak anxiety already so I thought I'd add my info at the 11th hour 

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP
Schools Applied To:  Georgetown, George Washington, University of Delaware, Temple University, Drexel University
Schools Admitted To:  UDel, Drexel
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting:  Georgetown, GWU, TU
Undergraduate Institution:  state school nothing fancy
Undergraduate GPA:   3.55
Undergraduate Major:  Accounting & Spanish 
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  N/A
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  3.5
Years of Work Experience:  3.5
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  None, this is a career pivot. Been in public accounting, tax compliance for 4.5 years including internships
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I thought it was pretty strong outlining my career and my experience working with tax law and transitioning into working it tax policy 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  2 managers at current firm and a professor I had a good relationship with. All around I'm feeling confident. 
Other:

Another longtime lurker - now that it’s March I thought I would try to participate more :)

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP/MPA

Schools Applied To:  UCLA MPP, UCSD MPP, UCB MPP, USC MPP and MPA, Princeton MPA, American MPP, GWU MPP

Schools Admitted To:  American MPP (no funding info yet), UCSD MPP (no funding info yet), UCLA MPP (35% $ through TA position)

Schools Rejected From:  

Still Waiting:  UCB MPP, USC MPP and MPA, Princeton MPA, GWU MPP

Undergraduate Institution:  Private US university 

Undergraduate GPA:   3.86

Undergraduate Major:  Chemical Engineering 

GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  168/168/5.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  4 

Years of Work Experience:  3.5

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Local government community affairs internship, ~2.5 yrs in think tank communications

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):   I thought pretty good - talking about desire to work in climate adaptation policy, tied in with experience as CA native with wildfires

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Supervisors from current job and past internship, professor from college who I TAed for - I read the first two and they were strong