2021 Results

On 3/1/2021 at 10:04 PM, taxbat said:

long time lurker, this week has been peak anxiety already so I thought I'd add my info at the 11th hour 

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP
Schools Applied To:  Georgetown, George Washington, University of Delaware, Temple University, Drexel University
Schools Admitted To:  UDel, Drexel
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting:  Georgetown, GWU, TU
Undergraduate Institution:  state school nothing fancy
Undergraduate GPA:   3.55
Undergraduate Major:  Accounting & Spanish 
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  N/A
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  3.5
Years of Work Experience:  3.5
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  None, this is a career pivot. Been in public accounting, tax compliance for 4.5 years including internships
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I thought it was pretty strong outlining my career and my experience working with tax law and transitioning into working it tax policy 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  2 managers at current firm and a professor I had a good relationship with. All around I'm feeling confident. 
Other:

I'm curious why you didn't apply to more schools and why you chose Georgetown as your most competitive school. Unless there is something you are not highlighting, I think you could be competitive for more schools. Also, tax policy is more of a law school thing... than MPP thing... As in, it is more popularly discussed in law circles than policy circles. Budgetary policy - related but not the same is more of a policy type thing though.

Oh, might as well fill this out! For posterity.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MIR

Schools Applied To:  American University, George Washington University, Georgetown University, Columbia University

Schools Admitted To:  American, George Washington, Georgetown 

Schools Rejected From:  N/A 

Still Waiting:  Columbia

Undergraduate Institution:  Private top-ranked Liberal Arts College

Undergraduate GPA:   3.85

Undergraduate Major:  IR/ Development; minor in Japanese Lang&Lit 

GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  156/160/5.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  3 (at start of semester) 

Years of Work Experience:  3

Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Have been working in Japan as an international coordinator in local governance for the past 3 years as an interpreter/translator in tourism, performing arts, and municipal affairs. 

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I thought it was quite strong! I spoke about my background as a first-gen immigrant and breadth of work post-graduation. I have research and career goals that I am quite passionate about that have been heavily informed by my past few jobs. 

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Two past professors during my undergrad, one a language/ Asia region professor, and another a polisci professor I had who also advised me in research design my senior year. + A letter from my current supervisor at work who could speak at length about the projects I have been involved in.  

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): IR

Schools Applied To:  American University, Tufts University (joint program), Columbia University, University of Pittsburgh.

Schools Admitted To:  American, Pitt

Schools Rejected From:  N/A 

Still Waiting:  Columbia, Tufts (I think both come in next week, I had interviews for both but haven't heard back since)

Undergraduate Institution:  One of the universities I'm applying to, top-ranked private university

Undergraduate GPA:   3.51

Undergraduate Major:  IR

GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores: N/A (all schools went test optional this year, or have been previously)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  N/A

Years of Work Experience: 2.5

Describe Relevant Work Experience:  1 year divided across two internships: one with my Senator and the other with an organization advocating for the interests of Asian-American immigrants.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Mine were alright. Two of my programs are Europe focused and the other two are more general IR programs. I focused on my interests in IR (the EU, cultural communication, and public diplomacy), my desire to enter the field of education, and importance of diversity in IR. A note on the last point: for a while, I was unsure if I "belonged" in European studies since I had no cultural connection to the region and the field is almost entirely white. I was able to study abroad in Europe before COVID cut it short, and have only gotten more interested in Central/Eastern Europe since then. Being pretty open about my identity as AAPI and gay, I felt OK bringing this into my SOPs and interviews. Since I'm not as committed to my research interests, I had to go the more personal route after I talked about academics for a bit. 

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): I was very particular with mine since I know these are what got me into undergrad, and picked five different professors across my applications. For all of them, I sent an info sheet for each program with my research interests, why I want to apply, and other info with links, deadlines, etc. 

Two professors (one was current, another former) wrote for the Europe-centered programs, and I reached out to another two professors (same setup) for the general IR programs. The fifth Columbia LOR is a complete unknown, since he really made me work for it. He was the only one weary about me reaching out since I hadn't had him in a while, but I made my case and he agreed after a follow-up email. I didn't do bad in his class, he's just  a little more particular with things overall. 

I'd like to think I have a good chance at the remaining two programs. I talked about diversity more with them, and my regional interests are aligned. My current research interests are kinda all over the place but I'm open to some changes, so hopefully they see that potential since what I said doesn't really match professors so far. Been lurking long enough and totally forgot to post mine, so thankful for y'all!

Just now, limabeans08 said:

which schools?

Ford, Sanford, GWU, and Batten. It looks like they vary from year to year but most have results posts from the first week in March.

20 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

I'm curious why you didn't apply to more schools and why you chose Georgetown as your most competitive school. Unless there is something you are not highlighting, I think you could be competitive for more schools. Also, tax policy is more of a law school thing... than MPP thing... As in, it is more popularly discussed in law circles than policy circles. Budgetary policy - related but not the same is more of a policy type thing though.

Personal choice, no skeletons in my application. It can be yes - but after going through the CPA I'm very uninterested in the Bar ? My essay was more about my interest in public finance, budgetary, and welfare policy - should have been more specific. Georgetown has always been a goal. I've been researching the program for a while, but I honestly didn't think I was all that competitive. 

Edited by taxbat

41 minutes ago, taxbat said:

Personal choice, no skeletons in my application. It can be yes - but after going through the CPA I'm very uninterested in the Bar ? My essay was more about my interest in public finance, budgetary, and welfare policy - should have been more specific. Georgetown has always been a goal. I've been researching the program for a while, but I honestly didn't think I was all that competitive. 

You are above average competitiveness to my average classmate (granted mine was a low competitive application cycle).

Being interested in budgetary policy/public finance is an interesting career track where:

a. if you want to State/Local policy you are all set because there isn't exactly a pipeline for it and your resume would be Golden. Its not that hard to get into that, even though McCourt doesn't really do well for State/Local anything

b. If you want to do Federal level budget/finance, then you have to compete against all the PhDs, Home Growns from undergrad, and MBAs/finance analytics masters folks. Basically - the competition pool surges. 

That being said, McCourt does send 1-2 people a year to OMB. McCourt  also does have one of the most pre-eminent welfare/social security Economists, but she is not exactly what I call personable. Akerloff is a rock star, and if you gain his favor, that can help, but mostly in academic related circles.

Bottom line, happy to give your perspective into your career journey, and I think you are in good shape no matter where you go to grad school. However, I think it helps to know as much you can. 

Does anyone have any insight/thoughts on the MPA at Syracuse Maxwell? It sounds like it's highly ranked because of the amount of research that comes out of the school, but I wonder how much that really influences the students in the MPA itself. 

I imagine it's not as desirable a program to many on this chain given the location, and it's probably considered a more regional institution (which, as a NYer doesn't especially bother me necessarily).  Anyone have any further thoughts on it? Any insider info to be aware of?

I'm interested in this question too @MPPNYC! Also, do any Maxwell applicants know if more funding info is forthcoming?I think I received the formal letter this morning (yay!) but there's no reference to funding... is that that?

Edited by hanburger

2 minutes ago, hanburger said:

I'm interested in this question too @MPPNYC! Also, do any Maxwell applicants know if more funding info is forthcoming?I think I received the formal letter this morning (yay!) but there's no reference to funding... is that that?

Yeah, they said we will start receiving this information as of Monday through the end of the month. Seems a bit delayed, if you ask me, but they're also my first response, so... I guess I'll cut them a little slack. 

5 hours ago, MPPNYC said:

Does anyone have any insight/thoughts on the MPA at Syracuse Maxwell? It sounds like it's highly ranked because of the amount of research that comes out of the school, but I wonder how much that really influences the students in the MPA itself. 

I imagine it's not as desirable a program to many on this chain given the location, and it's probably considered a more regional institution (which, as a NYer doesn't especially bother me necessarily).  Anyone have any further thoughts on it? Any insider info to be aware of?

You have to realize that they are so highly ranked because the US News rankings are based upon essentially a beauty contest among fellow academics. So basically academics reviewing each other. Syracuse Maxwell, to their credit is boosted in large part by their stellar PhD programs which are top notch and produce a high quality and quantity of research. Obviously, those benefits flow down to the Master's programs as well. Organizationally, Syracuse Maxwell also invests a lot in their programming and resources and have that down better than many other schools - and money and marketing does talk.

That being said, I have not met many from Syracuse Maxwell min the professional policy space, but the few I have met have been stellar - really sharp folks who knew the cutting edge of research. You might want to check if their graduates' career outcomes align to your interests.

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Still waiting for 2 very important results but I guess I'll just update later.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA/ID, MPA, MIEF, IDE, MA in Econ, MA in Development, Trade, and Finance
Schools Applied To:  HKS (MPA/ID), LSE (MPA), SAIS (MIEF), Yale (IDE), IHEID/Bocconi/Barcelona GSE/Central European University (MA in Econ), Barcelona GSE (Dev, Trade, Finance)
Schools Admitted To:  LSE, SAIS, IHEID, Barcelona GSE (Dev). Invited for CEU interview but turned it down.
Schools Rejected From:  Bocconi (said they didn't like I was more than 2 years out of college), Barcelona GSE (Econ) 
Still Waiting:  HKS and Yale 
Undergraduate Institution:  Top 10 IR school
Undergraduate GPA:  3.5
Undergraduate Major:  IR
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  168/169/5.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  3 at time of application, 4 at time of enrollment 
Years of Work Experience:  same as above
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Internships in DC think tanks, 1 year in political risk consulting, 2 years in financial policy
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Varied a ton between applications, some were fairly cookie cutter others took their time to write (especially HKS that made me write 6 different essays (4 for app 2 for financial aid) that were all fairly specific) 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  1 from current employer that (I think) really likes my work, 1 from past employer that's also a fairly well known Political Science phd, 1 from a professor that I wasn't too close to who taught me way back in 2016. Honestly getting an academic reference 3 years out of college was fairly tough. I didn't get the chance to read any of them so idk how strong they were.
Other: I didn't meet the prerequisites for the SAIS MIEF and still got in so I'd suggest everyone talk to admissions to see how flexible they are with these and shoot your shot.

2 minutes ago, EscapingBrexit said:

At 10pm on a Saturday night? Are they insane? ?

Congratulations!!! 

Thank you!!! They called at like 8:30 my time, so I was a little shocked to get a call that late lol

I got a Wait List at MA in Public Policy with Certificate in Research Methods(MACRM) at UChicago Harris. Some one please throw some light on how WL works at Harris and if I have any reasonable chance to get in? 

Program Applied To: MPA
Schools Applied To:  GWU Trachtenberg
Schools Admitted To:  
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting: GWU Trachtenberg
Undergraduate Institution:  Southeast State Flagship University
Undergraduate GPA: 3.65
Undergraduate Major:  Econ/Poli Sci
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  0.5
Years of Work Experience:  ~2
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Mostly policy internships with state govt and Political campaigns. Other clerical work.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Overall pretty strong. Highlighted how their program fit perfectly into my career plans and my personal commitment to public service and furthering my education.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Very strong. One is from a professor who is my mentor and formerly a top economist at the White House. Well respected
internationally. Other letter was from a State University System President who is well known and whom I worked for.

1 hour ago, Anorthc2 said:

Program Applied To: MPA
Schools Applied To:  GWU Trachtenberg
Schools Admitted To:  
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting: GWU Trachtenberg
Undergraduate Institution:  Southeast State Flagship University
Undergraduate GPA: 3.65
Undergraduate Major:  Econ/Poli Sci
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  0.5
Years of Work Experience:  ~2
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Mostly policy internships with state govt and Political campaigns. Other clerical work.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Overall pretty strong. Highlighted how their program fit perfectly into my career plans and my personal commitment to public service and furthering my education.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Very strong. One is from a professor who is my mentor and formerly a top economist at the White House. Well respected
internationally. Other letter was from a State University System President who is well known and whom I worked for.

I also applied to Trachtenberg but for the MPP. Crickets from them....