2021 Results

28 minutes ago, Rheana Gray said:

So it was mainly reputation. Having a technical undergrad, SSP seemed to present an ideal opportunity to bridge technical cybersecurity knowledge and policy. I actually learned about SSP after stumbling upon the Georgetown Security Studies Review while doing research for an undergraduate research paper on Huawei and cyber economic espionage. From there i started recognizing that a lot of people I admire in the field graduated from SSP (e.g. Katie Nickels, formerly of Mitre ATT&CK), and after reading Dr. Ben Buchanan's books on the intersection of cybersecurity and statecraft, i really started to get excited about how much SSP seemed to be investing into their technology and security concentration. 

I'd looked at Carnegie Mellon's MSISPM program but that seemed pretty redundant for me given that I already work in the field and have an undergrad in the subject. The other program I was considering was George Mason for Digital Forensics, but in the end i only ended up applying to Georgetown because I really want to better understand international relations and how geopolitical conflicts influence state sponsored cyber operations. Also the use of emerging technologies such as AI really drew my interest from an ethical standpoint and that's something I decided Georgetown would provide the best opportunity to explore that.

Point is, I've been at Cybersecurity in a technical capacity since Junior year of HS, attending NSA/NSF funded residential camps, being an active member of my cyber club, doing a malware internship, and working in cyber risk management, so I didn't feel like there was much to be offered from the more technical masters programs that I couldn't otherwise obtain through job experience.

Georgetown also has a Master's in Cybersecurity Risk Management that seems to be growing.

Makes sense. Georgetown is definitely the place to be if you’re interested in the IR/foreign policy side of things. I’m coming from a policy-heavy undergraduate and professional background, so I took the opposite approach, hoping to gain some technical exposure. CMU MSISPM, Georgia Tech OMSCyber, Boulder ITP/TCP, and USD Cybersec Engineering are on my radar. I’ve also looked at Georgetown’s Risk Management program, but I’m not sure if I want to specifically focus on Risk management. Too many options out there (and they’re not exactly cheap either!) 

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): Mid-Career MPA / MGA / MGP
Schools Applied To:  HKS / Tufts Fletcher / Boston U Pardee
Schools Admitted To:  none yet
Schools Rejected From:  none yet
Still Waiting:  all
Undergraduate Institution:  top 40 private university
Undergraduate GPA:  3.75
Undergraduate Major:  English, Environmental Studies, Econ minor
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  n/a
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  16
Years of Work Experience:  16
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  State government, nonprofit, consulting, little private sector, higher education work in communications for sustainability/energy/environment, in increasing leadership roles
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Unsure: I felt good about them at the time. Read application prompts carefully, tailored responses for each, tried to show history of engagement on the issues I care about and potential for growth during and after grad school. Had my references read them and offer feedback, incorporated feedback.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  They made me cry a bit when I saw them; cited areas where I had made valuable contributions, talked about my potential in government or at an NGO. Two current colleagues, one of whom is a faculty member. One former colleague who was in a supervisory capacity.
Other: Question for you all: I didn't realize it was faux pax that I didn't waive my right to see the letters--I thought I might need to have them for other fellowship applications, etc., and didn't want to bother my references again for them. Of course, references sent me their letters anyway, so should have waived. Will admissions committee care?

1 hour ago, EscapingBrexit said:

It was a personal email from a Professor. He said that official notification should come over the next week! 

I received one of these as well from a GWU prof. What's the etiquette for responding? Are we being introduced to the professor as a way to start working with them or is it just a courtesy thing?

The email was nice but it just had a generalized, "you and I have similar research interests, great to see new generations looking into these topics," and that's it. 

30 minutes ago, Kole_Kolt said:

I received one of these as well from a GWU prof. What's the etiquette for responding? Are we being introduced to the professor as a way to start working with them or is it just a courtesy thing?

The email was nice but it just had a generalized, "you and I have similar research interests, great to see new generations looking into these topics," and that's it. 

@Kole_Kolt & @EscapingBrexitcongratulations to you both! What program did you apply for at GWU?

I have two friends who have applied to GWU's MPA with me straight out of undergrad, all with good GPA's >3.6. None of us have heard anything yet (to comfort those who are reading and haven't yet heard back). This is the only school each of us applied to.

Edited by Anorthc2

I haven't received any emails like that, but I assume some type of professional networking jargon should be fine. I.e. "It's a pleasure to meet you." "I am excited to be a part of the program." "I look forward to working with you soon." General basic networking language should suffice if you haven't met them in-person. If you are inclined to accept the offer, there's nothing wrong with asking to set up a call to ask more questions or get to know them better.

Just now, calmclamsulam said:

Oh wow cognates!!! What program did you applied if you don't mind. I applied for Asian Studies program btw 

Congrats to you too!

I also applied for Asian Studies program too!! Nice to meet you!!!!

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MPA, MSES, MEM 
Schools Applied To:  GW, IU Bloomington, Duke, UMich, Georgetown
Schools Admitted To:  Duke MEM (haven’t heard from MPP)
Schools Rejected From:  none so far
Still Waiting:  GW, IU Bloomington, Duke, UMich, Georgetown
Undergraduate Institution:  Liberal Arts College
Undergraduate GPA:   3.73
Undergraduate Major:  Biology and Environmental Studies Double
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  2
Years of Work Experience:  2.5
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  1 yr AmeriCorp, 1 yr Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  really not sure.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  2.5 years of undergrad research and a thesis that will be published. 
Other: 

Anyone hear anything from Sanford yet? I saw that they made calls the last Thursday and Friday of February last year so I thought some of you may have received your calls today. Nothing for me yet though!

1 minute ago, EscapingBrexit said:

Honestly if a school phoned me I would either have a heart attack or not answer because it might be spam. There will be no in-between. ?

I've answered three spam calls today hoping it was them. Also had heart attacks lol