Financial Aid Negotiation

3 hours ago, wildchartermage said:

Has anyone successfully negotiated for a favorable financial aid package across different programs? Thought we should share strategies and tips here.

Also curious! I was admitted to Harris, Wagner, and McCourt so far and received the same financial aid offer (50% tuition) from all three, so I don’t have a higher offer to leverage. I do have a career update (new project relevant to my policy interests) I am planning on sharing. Still waiting on SIPA’s financial aid offer and HKS. 

+1

I received a Foreign Language and Area Studies grant this week which covers full tuition and a $15,000 stipend to an MA program at one of my schools. Part of me feels uncomfortable negotiating with other schools.... I can't really expect most programs (SFS, SIPA, etc) to match that level of support, let alone even offering full tuition.

8 hours ago, aspiringmpp said:

Also curious! I was admitted to Harris, Wagner, and McCourt so far and received the same financial aid offer (50% tuition) from all three, so I don’t have a higher offer to leverage. I do have a career update (new project relevant to my policy interests) I am planning on sharing. Still waiting on SIPA’s financial aid offer and HKS. 

While HKS won't come out until much later, Harris did send out an email saying they will open up financial aid reconsideration from March 10 to March 24.....so if we happen to get full aid from HKS, I'm not sure if Harris will consider it after March 24th. Hoping SIPA gives you a higher aid!

I plan to use my full-ride aid from Jackson to negotiate with JHU SAIS and Harris just to see what happens....the worst they can say is no or just bump it up a bit. 

7 hours ago, niceswing said:

Part of me wants to beg and part of me just wants to turn the admissions offers down and save myself the embarassment.

Don't be embarrassed! There's no shame in asking for more aid. If everyone else is doing it, so you can as well! :) 

8 hours ago, prospectivegrad2020 said:

+1

I received a Foreign Language and Area Studies grant this week which covers full tuition and a $15,000 stipend to an MA program at one of my schools. Part of me feels uncomfortable negotiating with other schools.... I can't really expect most programs (SFS, SIPA, etc) to match that level of support, let alone even offering full tuition.

Hrmm, this appears to be from a grant rather than aid from a school. I'm not sure how they view this when you negotiate with them. Anyone got thoughts on this?

Would broaching the topic be appropriate via email, or is it more typically a phone conversation? Also, is it best to wait until all your initial financial offers have been received? (I’m still waiting on GWU Trachtenberg, like everyone else)

52 minutes ago, Jarvc said:

Would broaching the topic be appropriate via email, or is it more typically a phone conversation? Also, is it best to wait until all your initial financial offers have been received? (I’m still waiting on GWU Trachtenberg, like everyone else)

Likely email. Def wait until you hear from all schools - maybe that school could give you the most aid and you use it as your leverage.

7 hours ago, wildchartermage said:

While HKS won't come out until much later, Harris did send out an email saying they will open up financial aid reconsideration from March 10 to March 24.....so if we happen to get full aid from HKS, I'm not sure if Harris will consider it after March 24th. Hoping SIPA gives you a higher aid!

I plan to use my full-ride aid from Jackson to negotiate with JHU SAIS and Harris just to see what happens....the worst they can say is no or just bump it up a bit. 

I like having choices as much as you do, but you're in at Yale with great funding. I'd take it and not look back if I were you. 

Here is the deal. Based upon the acceptances, non-accepts, and other bizarre situations (deferments choosing not to come back, surprise last minute donors, and etc.) - as time comes goes on, each school has a better idea off their budget. For each applicants, this means your scholarship can only up and not go down (it would be terrible PR if any school lowers scholarship offers after offering). 

So sure, it might humbling and hit your ego to ask for more, but not asking is like not trying to hunt for your supper when you are hungry (imagine you are a lion in the wild).

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Don't be embarrassed to ask for money. You might feel uncomfortable for like two seconds, but the discomfort is worth it if the school can give you a few extra thousand dollars. The worst they can do is say not. You do yourself a disservice by not negotiating if your current funding offer isn't enough to cover your expenses.

Does anyone have a useful template for requesting more financial aid? Or any helpful tips for starting? Especially at a school that didn't originally offer aid? Not sure where toe even begin with this, so would really appreciate the help. 

If students are funded but decline the place, is their funding reallocated to other students who did not receive funding? This is specifically in relation to SIPA, but examples from any other schools would be helpful too.

1 hour ago, ps10 said:

If students are funded but decline the place, is their funding reallocated to other students who did not receive funding? This is specifically in relation to SIPA, but examples from any other schools would be helpful too.

Yes! In fact, I was told by two different schools within the last week that they repurpose that funding back into other accepted and/or committed students. Unfortunately, this seems to be a bit of a vicious cycle, because plenty of applicants won't commit until they have secured more funding. Because of that, plenty of people don't commit/schools don't extend more funding until a few days before April 15th.

For people who asked for templates--there's no cookie cutter way to do this! I know it may feel awkward or uncomfortable, but there's nobody to tell you exactly what to write to the program. Just make contact with them, be honest and explain your situation. The worst they can do is refuse additional aid. They're not gonna be like "this person is annoying, rescind the offer!" As long as you're not rude about it, don't be afraid to ask!

I have a question - does it matter if the scholarship offered from another school is lower if it makes their program significantly cheaper than your target offer? 

I.E> Target School offers 30% tuition (say $15k)

School B offers 50% tuition ($10k). 

So the competing scholarship offers less money, but it is proportionally more significant due to the lower tuition in the first place. 

Can I still negotiate from that position? 

28 minutes ago, EscapingBrexit said:

I have a question - does it matter if the scholarship offered from another school is lower if it makes their program significantly cheaper than your target offer? 

I.E> Target School offers 30% tuition (say $15k)

School B offers 50% tuition ($10k). 

So the competing scholarship offers less money, but it is proportionally more significant due to the lower tuition in the first place. 

Can I still negotiate from that position? 

Yup. I would still negotiate and explain that your cost of attendance at the other program would be lower. Worst Target School can do is say they don't have the extra funds.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I got a question, hope someone can answer this.

I got into one of my top choice programs which initially offered me 25% financial aid. I negotiated with them by informing them I got higher offers from other programs(ranging from 40-50% of tuition).

Today I received an updated offer which now covers 40% of tution. This is great but actually I was hoping for more than 50%.. which is my financially comfort zone

so my dilemma is would it be rude to ask the program one more time whether there is a possibility to bump up my aid a little more?

Does anyone have similar experience of negotiating financial aid more than once? 

I’m really grateful I even got some finanical help from my preferred program.. but at the same time extra 10% is really needed too. 

7 hours ago, desperado_dd said:

Hello everyone!

I got into one of my top choice programs which initially offered me 25% financial aid. I negotiated with them by informing them I got higher offers from other programs(ranging from 40-50% of tuition).

Today I received an updated offer which now covers 40% of tution. This is great but actually I was hoping for more than 50%.. which is my financially comfort zone

so my dilemma is would it be rude to ask the program one more time whether there is a possibility to bump up my aid a little more?

Does anyone have similar experience of negotiating financial aid more than once? 

I’m really grateful I even got some finanical help from my preferred program.. but at the same time extra 10% is really needed too. 

You can ask them politely about it I believe. Just be frank and mention that the 10% is really required for that particular school to be a financially comfortable option for you. If it is possible for them to raise it, they will. There is no harm in mentioning what is important for you, just be polite and professional. Since they already increased your offer once, they are really interested to have you with them.

19 hours ago, desperado_dd said:

Hello everyone!

Hi there! Curious if this interaction was via email or phone? I am working on crafting an email to negotiate additional aid right now and feeling very awkward!