2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

hi,

i'm applying for the very first time to MFA programs and i'm not from the US so i'm not very well-versed in how college application works here at all, but i tried my best. i was just wondering, is it true that MFA programs don't really take freshly graduated people (freshly graduated from their undergrad degrees)??? i've read a lot of things about this on the internet and while i haven't talked to anyone about it, i was wondering if this is actually true.

19 minutes ago, maryak99 said:

hi,

i'm applying for the very first time to MFA programs and i'm not from the US so i'm not very well-versed in how college application works here at all, but i tried my best. i was just wondering, is it true that MFA programs don't really take freshly graduated people (freshly graduated from their undergrad degrees)??? i've read a lot of things about this on the internet and while i haven't talked to anyone about it, i was wondering if this is actually true.

Welcome!

This is not a hard and fast rule. In general, I think adcoms are looking for people who are both certain that this is what they want (so, people who have graduated and thought about this well enough, and also have some life experience to bring to the table), and who have proven to be able to work on their writing independently, since that is essentially what we'll be doing. That doesn't mean they don't ever accept people who are only just graduating. That said, I think it's still a little rare.

16 minutes ago, chuey said:

Welcome!

This is not a hard and fast rule. In general, I think adcoms are looking for people who are both certain that this is what they want (so, people who have graduated and thought about this well enough, and also have some life experience to bring to the table), and who have proven to be able to work on their writing independently, since that is essentially what we'll be doing. That doesn't mean they don't ever accept people who are only just graduating. That said, I think it's still a little rare.

what, in general, does it mean when you say 'life experience'? does it mean actual work in the field (i.e. publications, journal articles, prizes etc.)? or does it mean that the writing itself seems like it's more mature, as if it's coming from someone who has some years of life learning to show?

3 minutes ago, maryak99 said:

what, in general, does it mean when you say 'life experience'? does it mean actual work in the field (i.e. publications, journal articles, prizes etc.)? or does it mean that the writing itself seems like it's more mature, as if it's coming from someone who has some years of life learning to show?

I think it's a little of both! Still, people with zero publications or coming from other fields are accepted all the time. It's so subjective. And, in the end, it really all comes down to your writing sample regardless of when you graduated, etc! Which is ultimately a good thing! 

1 hour ago, maryak99 said:

hi,

hey, if it helps at all, i just graduated college last semester and applied. i got accepted to ohio state and waitlisted at alabama. you definitely have a chance!

Hey everyone,

First of all, thanks for posting updates, news, and opinions. It's nice to have a resource like this to draw from.

A quick question:

I'm currently living outside the US, and my phone can't receive regular phone calls (only Whatsapp). I had no idea that some programs give acceptances by phone, and now I'm getting a little nervous. I'm fairly confident that a program would send an email after the call failed to go through, but I'm naturally imagining the worst-case scenario, in which the Iowa folks say, "Oh well, no answer again, on to the next person!"

Does anyone here have any experience with this type of situation? Anyone gotten an email after missing/not receiving a call?

I'd like to avoid emailing programs to explain the situation - somehow it seems presumptuous to say, "Hey, did you try to call with an acceptance by any chance?"

Thanks, all!

2 hours ago, nicolette7766 said:

hey, if it helps at all, i just graduated college last semester and applied. i got accepted to ohio state and waitlisted at alabama. you definitely have a chance!

oh! that's so cool and admirable! hope it turns out the way you want!

5 hours ago, maryak99 said:

hi,

Hey, I'm finishing my undergrad right now as an international so I can say that I've been accepted to one Canadian program, waitlisted at an american program (UW). I've also spoken with adcoms at another MFA program that has given me an unofficial acceptance, and when we discussed my application, they said that the only downside to my profile was the fact that I was straight out of undergrad. That being said, obviously strong applications trump where we are in our writing journey and if an adcom thinks you're ready for their MFA program, they'll admit you. I hope this helps and eases some nerves!

Edited by finch66

1 hour ago, VillaTheKilla said:

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I just got a phone call from the adcom saying that I am admitted to SAIC. And as I am an international student who is still in college and will graduate in May, I think @maryak99does have a chance!

congratulations! this is giving me hope. good luck for your program! i hope i do get in somewhere.

59 minutes ago, finch66 said:

Hey, I'm finishing my undergrad right now as an international so I can say that I've been accepted to one Canadian program, waitlisted at an american program (UW). I've also spoken with adcoms at another MFA program that has given me an unofficial acceptance, and when we discussed my application, they said that the only downside to my profile was the fact that I was straight out of undergrad. That being said, obviously strong applications trump where we are in our writing journey and if an adcom thinks you're ready for their MFA program, they'll admit you. I hope this helps and eases some nerves!

the fact that they noticed the 'straight out of undergrad' part enough to consider it a downside worth mentioning is sort of alarming. i was thinking it might be an unsaid thing, but this seems to cement how it might not be as informal. still, it does ease some nerves because strong writers might get in through somehow, and you and a couple of others above have done it already!!! i hope there's also hope for me.

congratulations on your acceptances! i hope you have the best time if you choose to go!!

On 2/20/2022 at 8:52 AM, maryak99 said:

hi,

hi! this was also one of my concerns while applying, as i graduated last summer. i did my own research on past/current students at the programs i was applying to last fall, so i can only really speak to those, but—! i can tell you that both brown and michigan have accepted students straight out of undergrad or very close to straight out. the super competitive programs like johns hopkins and michener are much less likely to, but you shouldn't rule them out completely! i thought i'd have no shot at northwestern and i'm in with only one "gap year" between undergrad and an mfa, so don't give up hope!

if you know where you'll be applying (or already have), one of the "cheats" i recommend for research purposes is looking up certain mfa programs on linkedin, clicking on people who have been accepted to those programs, and figuring out the gap between their undergrad and grad school degrees (based on years attended). hope that helps!

Edited by poem for her

10 hours ago, freddyfazbear said:

with tomorrow being President's Day should we still expect schools to send out notifications? most American schools aren't even taking the day off tomorrow so i'm keeping my fingers crossed-- especially with us approaching the window of cornell/syracuse/etc (from recent years) 

Apparently not, as I just got a rejection from University of Wisconsin-Madison. They do work holidays!

Edited by Thunderroad12

also, curious what schools folks are still waiting to hear from:

I'm waiting on:

University of Pittsburgh, Poetry MFA
Naropa University, Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics, cross-genre MFA
Brown University, Literary Arts Poetry MFA
Columbia University, Poetry MFA

Didn't realize Columbia wasn't well-funded until I found these forums so we'll see what happens. One of my recommenders went to the MFA program at Naropa so hoping that is in my favor atop me having a degree in K-12 education and language for any teaching fellowships.

12 minutes ago, gagne said:

also, curious what schools folks are still waiting to hear from:

Still waiting to hear from:

• Iowa (assuming rejection though, since it seems they've already notified for fiction)
  • Cornell 
  • Hollins 
  • UNM
  • UVA
  • NYU

Applied for Fiction MFAs only. Rejected from University of Michigan.

52 minutes ago, Rm714 said:

I'm rooting for you, @MDP!

Thank you @Rm714 :D Rooting for you too! Gotta say, I'm feeling pretty pessimistic right now about the whole process...it's hard not to be :(

Edited by MDP

8 minutes ago, MDP said:

Still waiting to hear from:

• Iowa (assuming rejection though, since it seems they've already notified for fiction)
  • Cornell 
  • Hollins 
  • UNM
  • UVA
  • NYU

Applied for Fiction MFAs only. Rejected from University of Michigan.

Thank you @Rm714 :D Rooting for you too! Gotta say, I'm feeling pretty pessimistic right now about the whole process...it's hard not to be :(

Thanks so much for your kindness! Honestly I'm feeling a bit down as well. Just feeling like the competition is so harsh. My first choice should notify this week, so I'm trying to prepare myself for disappointment.