2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

5 minutes ago, chuey said:

I sorta thought there'd be more Iowa fiction acceptances. Could it really be that only 3 of the 20 accepted frequent Draft and Grad Cafe? 

Yeah, I felt this as well. I would expect there to be at least one other round of notifications before March. But it's not impossible that everyone was notified and only a few posted. There are definitely folks who get accepted on there who don't say anything. But it's unlikely that there are that many.

14 minutes ago, chuey said:

I sorta thought there'd be more Iowa fiction acceptances. Could it really be that only 3 of the 20 accepted frequent Draft and Grad Cafe? 

Could be, though I'd be surprised if there weren't at least one or two more acceptances notified/posted in the next week. They've been known to notify people of fellowship acceptances as late as early March. Not much rhyme or reason to it, unfortunately!

Edited by MDP
wording

13 minutes ago, DeepSyntax said:

Yeah, I felt this as well. I would expect there to be at least one other round of notifications before March. But it's not impossible that everyone was notified and only a few posted. There are definitely folks who get accepted on there who don't say anything. But it's unlikely that there are that many.

This sounds about right, my feeling (unfounded upon any kind of fact except observing general trends from previous years, and also as someone not applying in fiction) is that there'll be 1 or 2 more fiction rounds of notifications.

18 hours ago, MDP said:

Does anyone else ever have the perverse urge to write stupid CVS paperbacks under a penname to make money? Like, those harlequin romance ones that they sell for five bucks in the greeting card aisle

There should be better reaction buttons for comments here. Cos this comment here is gold. I definitely have considered this!

4 hours ago, neche said:

There should be better reaction buttons for comments here. Cos this comment here is gold. I definitely have considered this!

The urge is real!!!

Fingers crossed for some more schools to notify/continue notifying today...the eerie silence yesterday (plus the Southern Gothic fog on my commute this morning) has got me on pins and needles...

I’ve been waiting to hear back from Pitt (Columbia seems to release midMarch and Brown’s admissions stated midMarch was when decisions are due to be released) and read somewhere that rejections come in the mail??

I’m having Iowa Young Writers Workshop flashbacks.

Has anyone heard from the University of Arizona, Tucson for Creative Writing Fiction? I saw that on Feb. 17, one acceptance for fiction went out. Did anyone else apply and have they heard back? It says in the portal that there are no current next steps, and that they will contact if new actions require attention. Does that translate to: "We are only notifying those who are accepted?" 

6 minutes ago, Sydup said:

Has anyone heard from the University of Arizona, Tucson for Creative Writing Fiction? I saw that on Feb. 17, one acceptance for fiction went out. Did anyone else apply and have they heard back? It says in the portal that there are no current next steps, and that they will contact if new actions require attention. Does that translate to: "We are only notifying those who are accepted?" 

it looks like this year they've only accepted 7 students. On draft, it looks like both acceptances and waitlists have come out for all genres.

Unfortunately, as someone who didn't get any notification also, i believe that if you didn't get notified of an acceptance / waitlist by now, you can assume to be rejected.

22 minutes ago, maryak99 said:

does cornell notify acceptances by calls? their eerie silence on fiction after already having notified poetry ones two days ago is so distressing. or have they notified and i missed it?

They do! I don't think anyone has been notified about Fiction yet. We would've received rejections already -- Cornell tends to send all acceptances and rejections out on the same day in each genre. 

2 minutes ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

Has anyone seen anything for fiction regarding UNCG? I know poets have been requested to do interviews. But what about fiction?

Would love to hear from someone who possibly knows.

Thanks. 

hey. i saw one person on draft get interviewed for fiction. it happened on the same day that poetry interviews went out. not sure if the interview requests are spread out though, as i only saw one fiction person get emailed. 

hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, nicolette7766 said:

hey. i saw one person on draft get interviewed for fiction. it happened on the same day that poetry interviews went out. not sure if the interview requests are spread out though, as i only saw one fiction person get emailed. 

hope this helps!

Thank you so much for answering! ? 

Hopefully, that’s not a bad sign for me (fingers crossed). 

1 minute ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

Thank you so much for answering! ? 

Hopefully, that’s not a bad sign for me (fingers crossed). 

i’m not sure how many applicants they accept for each genre but since they do interviews, i like to think it’s spread out (they probably want to interview waitlisted people too). one of my good friends also applied there for fiction, so i’m hoping the best for the two of you!

good luck!!

1 minute ago, nicolette7766 said:

i’m not sure how many applicants they accept for each genre but since they do interviews, i like to think it’s spread out (they probably want to interview waitlisted people too). one of my good friends also applied there for fiction, so i’m hoping the best for the two of you!

good luck!!

Thank you again! 

And I wish the best of luck to your friend as well! 

Here’s to hoping for us all. 

5 minutes ago, Oryx said:

sadsadsa I got a call from an unknown NYC number and...it was the IT department :( I wish NYU would put out more notifications already.  

That is brutal! Nice username, btw. Been meaning to re-read the trilogy.

Same re: results. At this point I just want the band aid to get ripped off.

Edited by MDP