2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

1 minute ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

Well I’m sure you’ll get it! And thanks a lot for clearing up the confusion. 

I’m incredibly anxious as U of SC told me I was “very high” on the waitlist as well. It’d be so cool if we were in the same cohort. I really, really want this spot, like bad. lol…

Good luck, seriously, I’m hoping for you. 

We should connect, are you in the draft group? I'm having a hard time feeling like this is real, like I'm actually going to move 12 hours away and go to writing school. What even is writing school

Just now, Roalddahli said:

We should connect, are you in the draft group? I'm having a hard time feeling like this is real, like I'm actually going to move 12 hours away and go to writing school. What even is writing school

Yeah, it’s definitely a big move for me as well. 

No I dont have a FB, weirdly enough. Apologies. Ah, well to make it real, you’ll have to celebrate when you get in! That would definitely help. And just take time to process it all. 

And yeah we should. 

Hey folks, I've officially accepted my spot at McNeese. As much as I wanted to give ODU time to make an offer if they were going to make one (I was waitlisted a few weeks back), I felt ready, so I committed. 

Good luck to everyone here who is still waiting, and if you come back next year, don't mind the troll =). 

1 hour ago, chefjuice said:

Hi everyone!

Any word on the street about waitlist movement at University of Minnesota (Twin Cities)?

What genre are you? 

I haven’t heard a ton of news but I know someone who got accepted for poetry was debating between Minnesota and another program. It sounded like they might choose the other program, but I’m not 100% sure. 

48 minutes ago, Nicolas M. said:

Can't believe it's less than 10 days until April 15th! My anxiety is killing me, but since it hasn't already, I'm sure I can fend it off for a few more days...

It's really excruciating. Heard today from Indiana University that they completed their fiction cohort. I'm crossing my fingers for Michigan or Brooklyn College.

39 minutes ago, fier said:

It's really excruciating. Heard today from Indiana University that they completed their fiction cohort. I'm crossing my fingers for Michigan or Brooklyn College.

Goodluck to you both. I’m in the same boat… simply waiting and waiting and waiting and more waiting. 

3 minutes ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

Goodluck to you both. I’m in the same boat… simply waiting and waiting and waiting and more waiting. 

Good luck to you, too! (And to everyone else in a similar situation!) Be kind to yourselves, eat something delicious, read something for pleasure, and zone out when necessary. Although I wasn't an early poster on this forum, I was a longtime lurker, and I'm really grateful to the supportive spirit of this community.

poetry applicant on draft just officially accepted an offer of admission from cornell, and also declined offers from UVA, U of Michigan, Indiana, New Writers Project, NYU (Jan Gabriel Fellowship / 30k fully funded), and Syracuse. he also wrote that he's removing himself from Illinois, Vanderbilt, and Brown waitlists. good luck to those in limbo! hoping everything works out.

21 hours ago, nicolette7766 said:

What genre are you? 

I haven’t heard a ton of news but I know someone who got accepted for poetry was debating between Minnesota and another program. It sounded like they might choose the other program, but I’m not 100% sure. 

I’m fiction! As far as I know, the person who was accepted for fiction (there’s only one non-diversity fellowship spot up for grabs) hasn’t posted on Draft, so they’re anonymous. Just didn’t know if there were any whispering here.

In off the waitlist at VCU for poetry! Even though it's my top choice my decision is going to be tough tough tough this year with my other offers, any advice or input is welcome. I still can't believe I went almost 50/50 for acceptances and rejections this year, thank you all for helping me get through my second and final season. Lots of love and luck to you all ❤️

14 minutes ago, eatpraylovelove said:

Hello everyone. Does anyone know if the waitlist of Sarah Lawrence and Columbia moved at all? Feeling quite agitated here. Emailing them doesn't make a difference and they say everyone gets equal chance. 
If anyone knew people in the past who got accepted from the waitlist please let me know T__T 

I've seen one post from someone declining a Columbia fiction offer, and a friend of mine is planning to decline hers as well, so there has been / will be a bit more movement.

Hi, everyone! Just found out about this forum, such an awesome resource.

I'm currently waitlisted for Hollins fiction and I have yet to hear back from Iowa WW. I changed my phone number between applying and now and didn't update it online until recently. I've gotten no email and on the MyUI portal it says "In Progress". Did they send out announcements via phone? I've been checking my email constantly, as I imagine y'all have too lol.

Edited by turnipgreen
typo correction

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!

I got in touch once more with Dr. Brightwell at UAF and in a stroke of serendipitous good timing she informed they were in the process of preparing a TAship offer for me!!  AND I also received an email informing me I'm eligible for a Creative Writing scholarship!  No one's ever "prepared" anything for me, I've always had to do the damn thing every damn time, so I'm a little beside myself that I get to enjoy and take this in.

I wanted to share my good news with all of you because unless something cataclysmic occurs (please no, Zeus, I've been a good lad!), I will be accepting my position at Fairbanks!

If this comes true, then my grad cycle closes on my second year, and with my very heartfelt "thank you" to everyone who has been helpful, encouraging, and steadfast this season.  Not even with me, but with yourselves, because that's the dedication I put into my work, and seeing it and being surrounded by it is one of the primary ways I continue to instill passion and devotion in my own writing.

Cheers to you all, and here's to the dam of good news bursting forth with much-needed and much-elated glee (that's right, happy glee, I wrote what I wrote!) for as many of us as possible!

Also, my birthday is this Sunday, so this came at exactly the best possible time!  :)

All my very best for now!

Manny

Edited by oubukibun

23 minutes ago, turnipgreen said:

I'm currently waitlisted for Hollins fiction and I have yet to hear back from Iowa WW. I changed my phone number between applying and now and didn't update it online until recently. I've gotten no email and on the MyUI portal it says "In Progress". Did they send out announcements via phone? I've been checking my email constantly, as I imagine y'all have too lol.

Hi! Welcome and congrats on the Hollins waitlist!

I believe all Iowa decisions went out via snail mail. I would recommend reaching out to them, as maybe yours got lost?

25 minutes ago, turnipgreen said:

Hi! Congratulations on the Hollins waitlist! 
A few vets in Draft (the equivalent of this forum but on Facebook) have confirmed that all of Iowa's acceptances and waitlists have gone out. If you have not heard back from them, unfortunately it's a rejection. You can probably email the department and ask directly at this point since it's so close to 15 April. 

2 hours ago, eatpraylovelove said:

Hello everyone. Does anyone know if the waitlist of Sarah Lawrence and Columbia moved at all? Feeling quite agitated here. Emailing them doesn't make a difference and they say everyone gets equal chance. 
If anyone knew people in the past who got accepted from the waitlist please let me know T__T 

Hey, what genre are you? I declined my spot at Sarah Lawrence for CNF and I know of at least two others who did the same. I also see one person on Draft who has declined for fiction.

Edited by RosA-R
Misspelled

3 hours ago, eatpraylovelove said:

the Sarah Lawrence and Columbia waitlists will likely be in near-constant flux for the next week or so, as their cohorts are so unusually large and so many decline when they start crunching the numbers and discover how little funding they've been offered. i'd say it's safe to be optimistic, but remember that waitlisted applicants at non-fully funded NYC mfa programs are the ones most likely to receive the abysmal funding packages. 

2 hours ago, RosA-R said:

Hey, what genre are you? I declined my spot at Sarah Lawrence for CNF and I know of at least two others who did the same. I also see one person on Draft who has declined for fiction.

Hiii! I am in fiction. Thanks for letting me know. I’m seeing some hope ?

16 hours ago, oubukibun said:

I got in touch once more with Dr. Brightwell at UAF and in a stroke of serendipitous good timing she informed they were in the process of preparing a TAship offer for me!!  AND I also received an email informing me I'm eligible for a Creative Writing scholarship! 

CONGRATS!!!!

16 hours ago, turnipgreen said:

@turnipgreenhave you checked your snail mail? I believe they sent out rejections and waitlists that way and have called all accepted applicants. Good luck on the Hollins wait list, maybe we'll be cohort buddies in the fall :) 

2 hours ago, MDP said:

CONGRATS!!!!

@turnipgreenhave you checked your snail mail? I believe they sent out rejections and waitlists that way and have called all accepted applicants. Good luck on the Hollins wait list, maybe we'll be cohort buddies in the fall :) 

Thank you! I have checked my snail mail and there’s nothing which is disheartening. I didn’t update my phone number until April but I’ve had a new one since February. That would be awesome, congrats on Hollins!

update: they got back to me, my rejection got lost in snail mail 

Edited by turnipgreen