2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

18 hours ago, MDP said:

What’s everyone reading currently? Need recs to distract me from the waiting period… ?

Recently finished up my first Pynchon novel, The Crying of Lot 49, and now on Woolf's The Waves. Really good so far, much more experimental than most of her work.

10 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Recently finished up my first Pynchon novel, The Crying of Lot 49, and now on Woolf's The Waves. Really good so far, much more experimental than most of her work.

Lot 49 is one of my favs! What a trip. Good ol' Oedipa. Haven't read The Waves yet. Will have to check that one out.

14 minutes ago, koechophe said:

@MDP what's your list, out of curiosity?

Reapplying to NYU, Cornell, U. Michigan, Iowa, VCU. Applying to UNM and UVA for the first time. Last time I applied was December of 2019 when I was halfway through my senior year of undergrad. Sat out last cycle (had bigger things to focus on, like working in marketing and becoming an alcoholic-addict!) Quit marketing earlier this year and bounced from job to job since. Finally have landed a good day job that I would be happy to spend a few years doing while I get back on my feet. 

Been patching up my health/sobriety and trying to look at this round of apps with new eyes. If I get in, great. If I don't, great. Cosmic law will put me wherever I need to go. ? Saw on last year's forum that some people here read tarot -- I love the cards too, though I've been avoiding asking mine anything lately, ha. I like crystals as well. Smoky quartz is a fave of mine. Do you all have any hobbies that help you with anxiety? 

3 hours ago, MDP said:

Been patching up my health/sobriety and trying to look at this round of apps with new eyes. If I get in, great. If I don't, great. Cosmic law will put me wherever I need to go.

Really, good for you! It's easy to get distracted by life and not focus on achieving a good emotional equilibrium, so good on you for spending time to worry about yourself. It's something really valuable, and I wish more people were mature enough to do it. 

After grad school, I took a day job in media. I work as a ghost writer online--if you've ever seen an article written by "news staff," that's pretty much what I do all day. I scour the internet for short-form local stories and write them up, and I manage a bunch of social media pages. I think it's a good job for an aspiring writer, it definitely helps me practice. But not something I want to do forever--it's easier to think kind thoughts of the world when you don't spend a lot of time in news and managing social media pages.

3 hours ago, MDP said:

Do you all have any hobbies that help you with anxiety? 

Writing lol. But it isn't the best one right now--writing has this tendency to make me more anxious about grad school, weirdly enough.

I also sing, my mom was a vocal coach (not as her day job, but she was professionally trained) so I've got a decent background in voice. It's a pretty good one for me.

I also cook, I find cooking very relaxing. I know that's not for everyone though.

I'm also a Christian, and I spend a lot of time volunteering at my local church. Finding opportunities to do good things for other people helps me focus less on my own worries (as cliché as that sounds)

My wife helps a lot too. During last year's cycle, I started dating a good friend of mine who I'd known for almost two years. Since then, we got married, and we're living together. Have been for the last 6 months or so, and she's really been awesome. I've often said that if I had to pick one thing to go right, I'd choose my relationship with her over grad school any time. 

3 hours ago, MDP said:

Reapplying to NYU, Cornell, U. Michigan, Iowa, VCU. Applying to UNM and UVA for the first time.

Impressive that I have 0 schools in common with you lol. I also did a mix of stretch and safety schools, but we seem to have hit different ones. Anyway, I'm doing: 

University of Maryland
John Hopkins University 
Brown University
University of Michigan
Virginia Tech
Boise State University 
Arizona State University
University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of Florida
University of Idaho 

University of Virginia was on my list, I think in slot 12, but I limited myself to 10 applications, so we ended up with this. 

Edited by koechophe

17 hours ago, koechophe said:

it's easier to think kind thoughts of the world when you don't spend a lot of time in news and managing social media pages.

Ain't that the truth. I did a lot of social media management for different companies before I landed my current gig, and it was hard to stay sane, haha. The little work I've done in journalism was pretty frou-frou magazine stuff, just writing up wedding announcements and captions for $16,000 necklaces. And terrible pay, but what else is new. But that's great about your wife. What a cool thing to come about during a round of grad apps!

17 hours ago, koechophe said:

Impressive that I have 0 schools in common with you lol.

I was thinking the same! Though it looks like we're both applying to University of Michigan. They were the only school to give me a glimmer of hope my first round. They let me know that I had made it to the top 15% of the applications before getting cut. Hoping they'll remember me and be impressed by my epic character arc (ha). We'll see what happens.

@everyone ...I have a question that may be stupid... are we supposed to send FAFSAs for every school we apply to??? Is it too late to do that? I haven't had to do that shit since I was 18 and applying to undergrad so I've forgotten how to even go about it.

Hello all! First time applicant here. I'm nearly done with all my applications (two more to throw together this weekend), and I'm not quite sure I'm mentally prepared to just sit around for the next few months agonizing over what direction my life will go in. Thought it might be nice to commiserate!

Also, I found out this morning I've been exposed to covid, so uh... looks like I might have some free time on my (germ-infested) hands

15 hours ago, nosferatatouille said:

Hello all! First time applicant here. I'm nearly done with all my applications (two more to throw together this weekend), and I'm not quite sure I'm mentally prepared to just sit around for the next few months agonizing over what direction my life will go in. Thought it might be nice to commiserate!

Also, I found out this morning I've been exposed to covid, so uh... looks like I might have some free time on my (germ-infested) hands

Welcome!! Are you applying for fiction, poetry, or CNF? I’m dreading the waiting period too…bleh. Need some more hobbies aside from scrolling GradCafe, haha. 

On 12/31/2021 at 1:03 PM, MDP said:

@everyone ...I have a question that may be stupid... are we supposed to send FAFSAs for every school we apply to??? Is it too late to do that? I haven't had to do that shit since I was 18 and applying to undergrad so I've forgotten how to even go about it.

It's not too late to do that, but I would do it soon. On the application itself there's a section that makes you list your schools. You can only list 10 schools that you're interested in sending a FAFSA to. If you have other questions, feel free to ask because I just did mine a week and a half ago.

21 hours ago, MDP said:

Need some more hobbies aside from scrolling GradCafe, haha. 

I am the king of acquiring hobbies. It's normally a problem, but during times like these I rotate between them. Drawing, coloring, painting, crocheting, papercrafts, making clothing??? Idk I'm not bored, but my wallet hurts.

4 hours ago, Ydrl said:

I am the king of acquiring hobbies. It's normally a problem, but during times like these I rotate between them. Drawing, coloring, painting, crocheting, papercrafts, making clothing??? Idk I'm not bored, but my wallet hurts.

Hah, this is the story of my life! I'm diving headfirst into so many hobbies right now. It's a fantastic way to keep busy, especially since I am so bad at waiting. But damn do those little costs add up!

@MDP I'm applying to UM and Cornell as well, though for the first time. Feels daunting ? And definitely feel you on the patching yourself up part... I went and got a Masters in Counseling in order to do just that! Maybe could have found a cheaper path...but regrets are safe harbors for fog, I suppose. Trying to clear the air and focus on the path ahead this time. I'm curious, but it's a personal question so totally ignore if it's not a topic for discussion - what have you found helpful these days? I'm always hunting for new ideas and perspectives to offer my clients because a lot of people are struggling (hah...hah...it's almost like we're still in a global pandemic or something).

@Ydrl do we need to do the FAFSA if we're relying on full funding anyway? I'm in the process of getting divorced which will dramatically alter my income status... I was hoping to be able to wait until I got more information on that but based on your comment, it sounds like the FAFSA needs to be done now? Halp!

4 minutes ago, xenawins said:

do we need to do the FAFSA if we're relying on full funding anyway? I'm in the process of getting divorced which will dramatically alter my income status... I was hoping to be able to wait until I got more information on that but based on your comment, it sounds like the FAFSA needs to be done now? Halp!

I'm struggling so much with FAFSA right now too! I legally changed my name early last year and the IRS knows this, but for some reason it's created an error in their system so I can't access my tax information to complete my FAFSA. Been trying for weeks to figure it out.

Gotta love bureaucracy, right?

22 hours ago, Ydrl said:

If you have other questions, feel free to ask because I just did mine a week and a half ago.

Thanks so much!! I'll definitely do that this week. :D 

13 hours ago, xenawins said:

what have you found helpful these days? I'm always hunting for new ideas and perspectives to offer my clients because a lot of people are struggling (hah...hah...it's almost like we're still in a global pandemic or something).

Re: addiction, AA and 12 Step work have been the real life savers for me. There's just something about talking with other addicts/alcoholics that makes shit okay. Takes time, and every day is still a struggle, but it's getting better. "Living Sober" is a good digestible book for people who want to get sober but are intimidated by 12 Step meetings (but for anyone struggling, I really do recommend AA over everything.)

Speaking more generally, DBT/ACT therapy has been really useful for me.  "The Illustrated Happiness Trap" is a great book too. It's client-friendly (according to my therapist, lol) and teaches the reader how to understand and respond to their destructive thought patterns. It's great for anyone whether they're in therapy or not. It has cartoons and stuff in it, so it can feel kind of silly sometimes, but it is so accessible and has taught me a lot of useful skills.

And on a more fun level...drawing, sewing, journaling, playing Neopets all help. I was told to pick a hobby (or three) that I won't be tempted to be great at. Just one that I can do and enjoy. It's been good advice -- keeps the perfectionism at bay.

Also...I keep getting LinkedIn notifs that I'm showing up in searches, and my dumb hopeful brain keeps thinking "what if it's the adcoms?!" ? (It almost certainly isn't. I know they don't have time to be cruising around on LinkedIn, lmao)

16 hours ago, xenawins said:

@Ydrl do we need to do the FAFSA if we're relying on full funding anyway? I'm in the process of getting divorced which will dramatically alter my income status... I was hoping to be able to wait until I got more information on that but based on your comment, it sounds like the FAFSA needs to be done now? Halp!

Can't get any funding without the fafsa I'm afraid

9 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Not all universities ask for FAFSA, though - I've only submitted FAFSA to those who have directly requested it. Is this not the best course of action?

6 minutes ago, Rm714 said:

Not all universities ask for FAFSA, though - I've only submitted FAFSA to those who have directly requested it. Is this not the best course of action?

Wondering the same thing. Best course of action would be to email administration/admissions to check, I would think

16 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Not quite true. Most fully funded programs don’t need the FAFSA to distribute their funding, in my observation. The FAFSA does come in handy for federal or university-wide funds that are outside of the MFA’s purview. Since the application is free, it doesn’t hurt to fill it out.  

On 12/22/2021 at 9:06 AM, koechophe said:

Finally pushed "send" on my last application. Such a difference from last year, when I was scrambling to get them all out by their deadlines. I submitted most of mine this cycle more than a month before they were due. I guess that's what happens when you're not a full-time student taking more credits than you need to while also holding down a job and dating someone, and then a month before graduate schools want applications, you think, "Hey, I'm going to apply for grad school!" 

But anyway, I expected I'd feel better now that all the apps are in. Instead, I think I might feel worse lol. My brain just instantly clicked into this "have I done enough?" mode. Ah, well, I made it through last cycle with my sanity, likely will this time too ?

That's awesome! I can relate, because last year I decided I wanted to apply to an MFA program in November, and couldn't get my English scores done in time. (I'm an international student, so it's necessary for most applications). There was a cyclone, and no TOEFL centres open. I didn't have a great writing sample either. But this time, I got it done months before, and revised the f out of my SOP and sample. I think this year's gonna be the year (hopefully?).

3 hours ago, Nightwitch said:

That's awesome! I can relate, because last year I decided I wanted to apply to an MFA program in November, and couldn't get my English scores done in time. (I'm an international student, so it's necessary for most applications). There was a cyclone, and no TOEFL centres open. I didn't have a great writing sample either. But this time, I got it done months before, and revised the f out of my SOP and sample. I think this year's gonna be the year (hopefully?).

That's great! Nice going :) It definitely felt better to get things done in advance. Sure helped to be out of undergrad. First time I applied felt hellish start to finish, in large part because of all the senior year theses and coursework. Working full time isn't always a blast, but it was so much easier to get apps done than when I was still in college!