CGS-M 2021-2022 Results

onmyway

I’m an alternate for the SSHRC Canada Graduate Scholarship-Masters at the University of Calgary, and a part of me is disappointed but also somewhat validated. So if anyone plans on declining a UCalgary SSHRC CGS-M, that’d be much appreciated jkjkjk

I emailed the Faculty of Graduate Studies here for my ranking, but they were unable to release the results of individual applicants even if it was for me at this time. However, I was informed that later this spring or summer, we’d receive a letter with our ranking, so fingers crossed it’ll be okay!?

Edited by calgarycowboy
Spelling

16 minutes ago, puckeverlasting said:

SSHRC, not looking great based on Dal's allocations, but we shall see! Thank you! 

Yeah, there are only 20 for SSHRC at Dal - but you never know, I’ve read posts from a lot of alternates who have moved up ! 

10 hours ago, puckeverlasting said:

Niiiiiice!!! waiting list for Dal! Accepted at UoR... fingers are crossed for Dal though.. 

If it makes you feel better, my gf got offered a SSHRC at Dal and she is declining, so at least one spot is gonna be open!

On 4/1/2021 at 5:11 PM, Waiting123456 said:

Waitlisted for UBC. A little bit disappointed, but there's still time. Not keeping my hopes up though.

I was waitlisted for UBC too! Similarly disappointed. Do you (or anyone else reading) have any idea how many applications are given alternate status at UBC? It seems like some schools have very long lists and others not so much...

5 hours ago, jbtws said:

I was waitlisted for UBC too! Similarly disappointed. Do you (or anyone else reading) have any idea how many applications are given alternate status at UBC? It seems like some schools have very long lists and others not so much...

It all depends on the university's allocation numbers. So big schools like UBC, UoT, McGill etc. have more awards to give out so their waitlist will be longer. Best of luck though. 

Does anyone know if successful applicants get to ever (even if after after a couple months from notification/public announcement) find out how they ranked? Specifically wondering if U of T does this, but if anyone from other schools has any insight, would be helpful!

On 4/2/2021 at 8:39 AM, Aquilisrose said:

Offered and accepted for the UAlberta  SSHRC! Also got a top up email shortly after which a great surprise

I was also notified about receiving SSHRC funding at UAlberta last week! I'm so thrilled! As well, I was pleasantly surprised about the top-up award email. I always thought it was something students had to apply to and compete for, but I was wrong!

On 4/1/2021 at 6:15 PM, coffee-person said:

I received an offer and declined it (I already declined the schools offer). Now if someone could decline UVic for me...I am an alternate there!

Just out of curiosity, was this for NSERC, SSHRC, or CIHR? I got alternate for NSERC at UAlberta and I got a message from the gsms portal that I got ranked #3. I am DYING HERE!! 

25 minutes ago, v.lee said:

Just out of curiosity, was this for NSERC, SSHRC, or CIHR? I got alternate for NSERC at UAlberta and I got a message from the gsms portal that I got ranked #3. I am DYING HERE!! 

THAT IS SUCH A GOOD RANKING! I bet you will get it! Unfortunately I was SSHRC so not a help ?

31 minutes ago, sharingxn said:

have alternates heard any good news yet?

Nothing yet! Aggressively checking my portal every day lol. I have a good feeling it will come, it may take time. Some universities wait 21 days to inform alternates (so April 22 would be the date) so even if its quiet for a bit that doesnt necessarily mean bad news!!

34 minutes ago, sharingxn said:

have alternates heard any good news yet?

I also realized that the waitlist is probably not too long. I think I heard/saw in other gradcafe posts that some lists go up to 30. Which, in McGill's case would make sense, as they only have 95 awards to offer university wide. I'm thinking the list could actually range to about 25 (hoping its a bit less), as this would constitute around 1/4 of awards declining (which makes sense as that is likely very probable). Also remember covid is still around, which means there are probably students who do not want to move to another province to be in constant lockdown and isolation (this happened for my cohort last year, and a majority of students did not continue into their second year of studies). :):)

1 hour ago, lisafara said:

I also realized that the waitlist is probably not too long. I think I heard/saw in other gradcafe posts that some lists go up to 30. Which, in McGill's case would make sense, as they only have 95 awards to offer university wide. I'm thinking the list could actually range to about 25 (hoping its a bit less), as this would constitute around 1/4 of awards declining (which makes sense as that is likely very probable). Also remember covid is still around, which means there are probably students who do not want to move to another province to be in constant lockdown and isolation (this happened for my cohort last year, and a majority of students did not continue into their second year of studies). :):)

This is nice to hear! Hopefully you're right :) 

Got a CIHR CGS-M at UBC!  Was waitlisted (alternate) last year and never got off the list, so I'm very happy to have gotten it this time around.  Last year, I was never told my ranking or any feedback (the Faculty declined).  I know that UBC has a large number of allocations, and through the grapevine I learned that they waitlist around 15-25% of their allocation numbers.

Good luck everyone!

EDIT: Also through the grapevine - UBC (at least the Faculty of Medicine) does rounds of offers after each round expires... I.e. every 3 weeks.  So you can save yourself the constant refreshing :)

Edited by MadImmunologist

Hi! I received SSHRC at U of T and I am curious, for others who have also received CGS-M, how does the award affect your internal funding offer? My department offered me a fellowship of comparable value, which is now apparently being replaced by CGS-M. So I will not see any financial reward from receiving it, only the prestige that the award comes with, I guess. Can others speak to how the award is impacting your internal funding? I am curious if others have a similar experience or not.