CGS-M 2021-2022 Results

onmyway

39 minutes ago, SOCstudent said:

Hi! I received SSHRC at U of T and I am curious, for others who have also received CGS-M, how does the award affect your internal funding offer? My department offered me a fellowship of comparable value, which is now apparently being replaced by CGS-M. So I will not see any financial reward from receiving it, only the prestige that the award comes with, I guess. Can others speak to how the award is impacting your internal funding? I am curious if others have a similar experience or not. 

It depends on your institution/department regulations and your supervisor.  I know for some departments (at UBC) that they do what they're doing with you... the CGS-M replaces their internal funding, and the university only gives them enough money to bring them up to the minimum funding (I.e. $17500 from CGSM + another $6500 from UBC to bring them to UBC's minimum $24000 funding).

I know other departments within UBC that allows the student to keep the internal funding AND the CGS-M.  I also know other students who were only accepted into their program IF they got the CGS-M.  So it is highly variable... and if you have any concerns, you should raise them with your department right away!

1 hour ago, MadImmunologist said:

It depends on your institution/department regulations and your supervisor.  I know for some departments (at UBC) that they do what they're doing with you... the CGS-M replaces their internal funding, and the university only gives them enough money to bring them up to the minimum funding (I.e. $17500 from CGSM + another $6500 from UBC to bring them to UBC's minimum $24000 funding).

I know other departments within UBC that allows the student to keep the internal funding AND the CGS-M.  I also know other students who were only accepted into their program IF they got the CGS-M.  So it is highly variable... and if you have any concerns, you should raise them with your department right away!

Thank you for your insight--this is what I assumed! I have friends at Concordia who get to keep their CGS-M on top of their internal funding, although they are in different disciplines than me. I have reached out to my department, so I'll see what they say! 

6 hours ago, SOCstudent said:

Hi! I received SSHRC at U of T and I am curious, for others who have also received CGS-M, how does the award affect your internal funding offer? My department offered me a fellowship of comparable value, which is now apparently being replaced by CGS-M. So I will not see any financial reward from receiving it, only the prestige that the award comes with, I guess. Can others speak to how the award is impacting your internal funding? I am curious if others have a similar experience or not. 

Got a CIHR CGS-M at u of t and my department includes it as part of my base stipend. 17.5K of my stipend will come from CGS and the rest of it will come from supervisor or department. My department, like some others, give you a top up which means you get a bit more money above your base stipend (kind of a “thanks for saving us some money” award). Not sure what funding is like for other faculties/divisions, but this is the case for Faculty of Medicine Departments for the most part, so there’s a financial incentive along with predictive to get an award.

Hi! I have a question about the offer. In the Activation of Adward form it says 'Award recipients who are already enrolled in their program of studies are encouraged to take up their award on the earliest available date. For further information, refer to the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (CGS M) Award Holder’s Guide'. Does anyone know the reason?

I'm already in my program, and I'm holding another scholarship untill September, so not sure if I can make the CGSM to September.

Also just wanna make it clear, is the offer expiry date April 22? It says it should be 22 days after the date of offer, but my date of offer shows in the portal is Mar 20th, which is quite confusing (April 1st is the result available date).

6 hours ago, Hopewillcometrue said:

Hi! I have a question about the offer. In the Activation of Adward form it says 'Award recipients who are already enrolled in their program of studies are encouraged to take up their award on the earliest available date. For further information, refer to the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (CGS M) Award Holder’s Guide'. Does anyone know the reason?

I'm already in my program, and I'm holding another scholarship untill September, so not sure if I can make the CGSM to September.

Also just wanna make it clear, is the offer expiry date April 22? It says it should be 22 days after the date of offer, but my date of offer shows in the portal is Mar 20th, which is quite confusing (April 1st is the result available date).

Basically you need to be a full-time student for the tenure of the award. If you start the award in September but then finish your program in it’s entirety by next April, you’d be under the year mark and won’t receive the full award or might have to pay back part of the award, so that’s why they suggest taking the award at the soonest possible time. I’m currently in the first year of my program and I set Sept 1, 2021 as my award start date. My department said this is fine to do. Basically, the award tenure will run from Sept 1, 2021 to Aug 31, 2022. With choosing this option, I won’t be able to defend until next spring/summer, I’ll need to register as a full-time student again next spring/summer, and I’ll officially convocate next fall instead of the spring. If you’re trying to convocate for next spring, then you’ll run into an issue with a September start date. That said, most if not all people in my program finish in the spring/summer of second year, so this timeline is common. For me, as long as my program requirements are done by next September and I’ve defended by then, I could still start my PhD even if I don’t technically convocate till November. I’d double check with your department, but I suspect a September start date won’t be an issue.

Edited by VanessaB

3 hours ago, Waiting123456 said:

UBC

Don't lose hope! Covid exists and people may have gotten even better offers from other schools!

I don't know how so many people figured out their rankings on the alternate list (lmao) but truly don't give up. You never know. Right now I'm basically telling myself I am number 5 on the list as I had a dream that I was (lmaaaaao). If we think too much about numbers and investigate we could literally lose our minds

22 hours ago, Waiting123456 said:

I'm in the middle of the waitlist, so I'm not going to get it ?Good luck to everyone else!

Don't give up hope!! Out of curiosity, who did you contact at UBC to find out? I'm also at UBC, but everyone I've contacted hasn't replied :( 

17 minutes ago, lisafara said:

Don't lose hope! Covid exists and people may have gotten even better offers from other schools!

I don't know how so many people figured out their rankings on the alternate list (lmao) but truly don't give up. You never know. Right now I'm basically telling myself I am number 5 on the list as I had a dream that I was (lmaaaaao). If we think too much about numbers and investigate we could literally lose our minds

Omg I've been having dreams too.. my uni won't give out ranking info so I've been having dreams of my rank just getting higher and higher LOL. are we going crazy? ?

28 minutes ago, jbtws said:

Don't give up hope!! Out of curiosity, who did you contact at UBC to find out? I'm also at UBC, but everyone I've contacted hasn't replied :( 

I contacted my program admin. I think they aren't supposed to give out info - She gave me my general standing and basically said that I was unlikely to get off the list. I think she felt bad for me lol. 

44 minutes ago, lisafara said:

I hope you get it! I'm definitely too far down on the alt list to get it. UBC offers 113 SSHRC scholarships and I doubt a large enough amount of those will decline. 

6 hours ago, VanessaB said:

Basically you need to be a full-time student for the tenure of the award. If you start the award in September but then finish your program in it’s entirety by next April, you’d be under the year mark and won’t receive the full award or might have to pay back part of the award, so that’s why they suggest taking the award at the soonest possible time. I’m currently in the first year of my program and I set Sept 1, 2021 as my award start date. My department said this is fine to do. Basically, the award tenure will run from Sept 1, 2021 to Aug 31, 2022. With choosing this option, I won’t be able to defend until next spring/summer, I’ll need to register as a full-time student again next spring/summer, and I’ll officially convocate next fall instead of the spring. If you’re trying to convocate for next spring, then you’ll run into an issue with a September start date. That said, most if not all people in my program finish in the spring/summer of second year, so this timeline is common. For me, as long as my program requirements are done by next September and I’ve defended by then, I could still start my PhD even if I don’t technically convocate till November. I’d double check with your department, but I suspect a September start date won’t be an issue.

Thank you!

On 4/6/2021 at 9:17 AM, coffee-person said:

THAT IS SUCH A GOOD RANKING! I bet you will get it! Unfortunately I was SSHRC so not a help ?

Aww thank you! I got offered NSERC the other day!!! I really hope you get SSHRC at the university you want too! I'm rooting for you!

For anyone curious, I was ranked 3rd on the alternate list at U of A. So the list did move! I bet it will continue to in the next couple of weeks! Good luck everyone! 

18 minutes ago, v.lee said:

Aww thank you! I got offered NSERC the other day!!! I really hope you get SSHRC at the university you want too! I'm rooting for you!

For anyone curious, I was ranked 3rd on the alternate list at U of A. So the list did move! I bet it will continue to in the next couple of weeks! Good luck everyone! 

Congrats!!
I really hope so...

8 hours ago, Hopewillcometrue said:

Thank you!

Also, I believe your offer expiry date is indeed April 22nd even if the notification was input into the system at an earlier date. I’ve included a picture of what I see in my portal. Once you click to open your application, your offer expiry date should be there.

83981591-537B-4A92-9B51-D619ED19CA53.jpeg

On 4/8/2021 at 4:09 PM, sharingxn said:

Omg I've been having dreams too.. my uni won't give out ranking info so I've been having dreams of my rank just getting higher and higher LOL. are we going crazy? ?

LOL I'm sure its a good sign. We have to have good faith that it will come!!! I wish McGill did it sooner than every 21 days :( so painful lmao