PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

I was admitted to and have accepted an offer from Vanderbilt Health Policy.

For posterity's sake, here are my results and their dates:

Wisconsin Population Health Sciences PhD: Acceptance, January 5.

Johns Hopkins University Health Policy and Management PhD: Waitlist, February 9.

Michigan Health Services Organization and Policy PhD: Rejection, February 9.

Vanderbilt Health Policy PhD: Acceptance, February 21.

UNC Health Policy and Management PhD: No response.

2 hours ago, HedwigTheFriendlyOwl said:

Hi sorry to intrude this thread. I'm applying to masters programs in public health and epidemiology. I was wondering if anyone here got their MPH or MSc in Epi from McGill or UofT? I'm trying to figure out when I should expect a decision, it's making me super anxious! 

Thanks! 

I can't help from personal experience. But have you tried searching the results page to see if there were acceptance entries from previous years? https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/ - you can filter your school, program and degree. Good luck! I hope you hear soon. 

The LA weather is looking pretty good right now. 

Accepted: USC Health Behavior Research 

Waitlisted: JHU Mental Health, Brown BSHS, BU Epi 

Rejected: Harvard Population Health Sciences SBS  

Waiting on: UNC health behavior, University of Colorado epi, NYU social and behavioral sciences, Yale chronic disease epi, JHU SBS

32 minutes ago, berriesandcream said:

Waiting on: UNC health behavior, University of Colorado epi, NYU social and behavioral sciences, Yale chronic disease epi, JHU SBS

For JHU, do you know where you are in line?

5 hours ago, PhDphfinal said:

Hi all

I have a question what would be the wise decision. To go for a fully funded like for four year program with university at rank 20 or with funding confirmed/ expected only for only first year from one of the top  Universities. 

TIA

I'd go for the fully funded program.

11 hours ago, berriesandcream said:

Have not heard back from Yale chronic disease. Are you invited to the interview? Little information about this program on Gradcafe.

15 hours ago, berriesandcream said:

I was notified this morning that I had been accepted off the waitlist for JHU Mental Health. 

5 minutes ago, StartLow_GoSlow said:

The JHSPH Instagram posted something about Admitted Students Day this Friday. Do we assume that if we haven't been admitted before that then we're not going to be? I'm kind of confused because others have said that it may be early to late March before JHSPH decisions...

Are you referring to PhD or DrPH programs?

Got admitted to WashU DBBS Biomedical Informatics and Data Science program. 

This is probably an unusual data point for most folks here, but they have applied clinical informatics and population health informatics in case anyone is interested. It is a new program based at school of medicine, 2nd incoming cohort, but that also comes with a lot of flexibility in terms of mentor access. I thought my social science/public health background would not fit because I really haven't taken many math/coding classes but my research is very relevant (one of my current project is clinical decision support implementation)

20 hours ago, PhDphfinal said:

Hi all

I have a question what would be the wise decision. To go for a fully funded like for four year program with university at rank 20 or with funding confirmed/ expected only for only first year from one of the top  Universities. 

TIA

Many factors to consider. For me, I want to be in an environment where I feel supported financially and with cultural atmosphere, but also I want to be surrounded by folks (hopefully not just one or two but a whole network of scholars) with research that I truly feel passion about.  For public universities & international student, it is not uncommon to have the none guaranteed offer, i would suggest talking to program directors and current students to understand if there are really people who paid out of pocket, or those who wanted to get funded eventually all get funded somehow. The work obligation might be higher in this way, but personally if I am surrounded and mentored by inspiring mentors, I am ok to commit 20hrs/week (even with other faculty as long as we have some alignments) in exchange of my tuition and stipend. It all comes to what you want, your own priorities, and your career plans.

Also, ideally I want to enroll in a program where there are more international students, so I wouldn't have to feel that i have to advocate for myself by myself all the time, but there is def one program I would throw away most of my considerations just to join the community (by community I mean the folks and their research, not the school/program fame). 

Edited by XXXXXXphd2021

2 hours ago, StartLow_GoSlow said:

The JHSPH Instagram posted something about Admitted Students Day this Friday. Do we assume that if we haven't been admitted before that then we're not going to be? I'm kind of confused because others have said that it may be early to late March before JHSPH decisions...

JHU PhD decisions for Health Policy & Management came out earlier this month. If you weren't accepted or put on a waitlist it's probably a rejection at this point.