2022 Application Thread

dr. t

1 hour ago, automatic_peas said:

Has anyone heard anything from HSHM at Yale regarding interviews? 

I applied to Yale HSHM as well - as far as I know from talking with a PI back in Fall, they don't normally do interviews.

8 hours ago, timurdidnothingwrong said:

just received an email asking if my application can be transferred to the religious studies department at yale- what happens if i say no? 

I'm at Yale currently (at master's level). A lot of the profs are cross listed in History and Religious Studies and RLST might have more spots this year, I don't know. As another poster said, things have been tight there in History lately; last cycle, for example, no one in early modern or early America got admitted. I think things are tight again this cycle too. As for timing, I think they might not make any moves until early February. One of the profs here told me yesterday that had I applied to Yale, I'd have to wait until early Feb to hear any news. (I didn't apply to Yale fwiw). Also, if you happen to be in early modern, I can talk in more detail. 

8 minutes ago, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Anyone else applied to grad school (PhD) at UC Irvine and University of Virginia? Anthropology programme? Any updates?

Not anthro, but I also applied to UCI in their social sciences school for Sociology! Have not heard anything yet, but looks like they have started historically this week and definitely after MLK weekend and throughout the rest of the month! 

as my app was forwarded for religious studies for yale-- feeling a little uneasy about it as i centered my application towards the history department and did not really mention religious studies professors. why would a RGS professor advocate for me if i said the best fits for me are in the history department? 

13 minutes ago, FuturePhDPls said:

Not anthro, but I also applied to UCI in their social sciences school for Sociology! Have not heard anything yet, but looks like they have started historically this week and definitely after MLK weekend and throughout the rest of the month! 

Thanks a lot! Yes. Fom previous year's threads, it seemed to me that UCI starts emailing from around the second week of Jan. But still wanted to confirm if anyone has received any communication yet.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, really. I hope the best for you too. Keep posted, in case you have any updates? I'll do the same as well. 

1 minute ago, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Thanks a lot! Yes. Fom previous year's threads, it seemed to me that UCI starts emailing from around the second week of Jan. But still wanted to confirm if anyone has received any communication yet.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, really. I hope the best for you too. Keep posted, in case you have any updates? I'll do the same as well. 

thank you and best of luck to both of us!! I will keep you posted :) Definitely hoping they start letting us know this week haha 

@Kankabatir_tireyI applied to UCI, but for history. Perhaps for anthro they start sending out acceptances in the second week of january, but for history they normally send them out the second week of February, right around the 14th. There is an anthropology subthread that might be more helpful in providing updates for UCI Irvine anthro applicants if you're interested.

Edited by Imperator Totius Hispaniae

On 1/4/2022 at 1:09 PM, MatildaMedievalist said:

I am also anxious now, but maybe this will help @TheWitWitchFrom the Columbia departmental site ": Because we receive about 600 applications per year, we cannot conduct admissions interviews...."

On 1/4/2022 at 4:14 PM, flowersandcoffee said:

Yes, it's me, who has an interview with Columbia next week. I would not panic, as I stated I want to expand into a new geographical area in my Columbia application and my interview is with a historian of that area. I am guessing they want to chat to me about it and see if I am capable of the switch. 

Also, relieved to hear that everyone's Berkeley interviews went well! 

Hello! Long-time lurker finally joining up to chime into this discussion/work out my anxiety. I applied for Columbia's PhD program and just got an email from my POI asking for an "informal chat" because she is interested in working with me. Matilda, where did you see that on the website? It rings a bell but now that I'm looking I can't find it. Does anybody have any idea where this might fall on the spectrum between "final-round interview" and "you've gotten in and we just want to get to know you"?

Edited by Imperator

6 minutes ago, Imperator Totius Hispaniae said:

@Kankabatir_tireyI applied to UCI, but for history. Perhaps for anthro they start sending out acceptances in the second week of january, but for history they normally send them out the second week of February, right around the 14th. There is an anthropology subthread that might be more helpful in providing updates for UCI Irvine anthro applicants if you're interested.

As far as I checked the previous year's timelines, UCI Anthro mails applicants shortlisted for interview from second week of Jan till Jan end max. Acceptances, it seems to me, are sent out around the same time as you noted with regard to History. I'll check out the thread. Thanks a lot! Good luck to you! 

Just now, Imperator said:

Hello! Long-time lurker medievalist finally joining up to chime into this discussion/work out my anxiety. I applied for Columbia's PhD program and just got an email from my POI asking for an "informal chat" because she is interested in working with me. Matilda, where did you see that on the website? It rings a bell but now that I'm looking I can't find it. Does anybody have any idea where this might fall on the spectrum between "final-round interview" and "you've gotten in and we just want to get to know you"?

I don't know why there is so much anxiety around interview/informal chat....It doesn't really matter what is posted on the website. What matters is that your POI has reached out to you and wants to chat about your research. This is a huge accomplishment in itself. 

I would consider it an interview and treat it as such. I most certainly wouldn't consider it an indication of acceptance. It's certainly a step in the right direction, but you still need to be prepared and show them that you're a good fit with their research interests and the Department... 

@Imperatorhard to say. I didnt have an interview with Columbia, but I did with Berkeley, and it was very informal. My guess? if it's informal, sounds like you've basically gotten in and they just want to make sure you are the same person that submitted the application and that you aren't a total jerk haha. If the POI said it was formal, then I would assume it would be a final round interview and they're doing a formal interview to see who is serious. 

btw, nice username lol

Edited by Imperator Totius Hispaniae

27 minutes ago, Imperator said:

Hello! Long-time lurker finally joining up to chime into this discussion/work out my anxiety. I applied for Columbia's PhD program and just got an email from my POI asking for an "informal chat" because she is interested in working with me. Matilda, where did you see that on the website? It rings a bell but now that I'm looking I can't find it. Does anybody have any idea where this might fall on the spectrum between "final-round interview" and "you've gotten in and we just want to get to know you"?

It was in the FAQ of the history department. Seems to me like they're trying to figure out who are the best fit for them and the department. Like others have said, I'd treat it like an interview, but also know no one is trying to trip us up. Just get more information to make their decision. 

Sincerest best of luck to you, and feel free to PM me if you want to chat in more detail. :)

2 hours ago, Imperator Totius Hispaniae said:

@Imperatorhard to say. I didnt have an interview with Columbia, but I did with Berkeley, and it was very informal. My guess? if it's informal, sounds like you've basically gotten in and they just want to make sure you are the same person that submitted the application and that you aren't a total jerk haha.

I highly, highly caution going into any interview with the mentality that you’ve already been accepted. Big recipe for disaster IMO - and I highly doubt that’s the case here as well.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:12 AM, CoffeeCatsCorgis said:

I'm a Russianist (modern Europe and gender/sexuality are my research areas for UCSB). What about you? 

The waiting period sure is painful!

Hey there! I work with modern Britain, so I also applied for modern Europe. I haven't heard anything so far--to my understanding, UCSB does not conduct interviews. I did have an informal Zoom chat with a POI before applying. Here's to hoping we are both in!

What is standard conduct for providing a department with an update to your CV? I was promoted at the university I work at to a position that is direct faculty/department support and comes with a significant increase in responsibility. Is this worth asking the department to add to my file? Thanks.

@sonnybunny, some application portals have a way for you to upload an updated copy of a CV yourself without contacting the department/graduate school. If not, as to whether it's worth contacting anyone to upload it for you, I'd ask myself: (A) Is anything about this promotion directly related to the research/skills I hope to pursue in this graduate program? Unless that's the case, I don't think it's worth it. And (B) When was the program deadline? If you think it's likely the review committee has already read applications, the chances of them going back to look at something like this are slim, IMO. 

On the Harvard and Berkeley History website, it says the overall acceptance rate is five percent, while for international students is one percent. I'm wondering “international students” here refers to citizenship or where they did their undergraduate studies? Do history departments in the US set quotas for how many international students they will admit? (I know Canada does)

15 hours ago, sonnybunny said:

Hey there! I work with modern Britain, so I also applied for modern Europe. I haven't heard anything so far--to my understanding, UCSB does not conduct interviews. I did have an informal Zoom chat with a POI before applying. Here's to hoping we are both in!

I also chatted briefly with a POI on Zoom, but I doubt there will be more contact before decisions. So far, I have not heard a peep from any of the programs I applied to, but on the plus side, it looks like nobody else has heard from these programs either (at least not to my knowledge). It's early yet! Best of luck, would be lovely if we both made it, and cool that you're also doing modern Europe. 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:52 AM, scarletwitch said:

Does anyone know if we should be expecting to hear from Chicago re interviews? I saw one person post on the results page asking about interviews but I do not know whether it means they themselves have an interview? Thanks

I was admitted last year with no interview, but I believe some people did do them, so it's a bit hit and miss. If you don't get an interview and others do, don't assume you're out of the running. It's not over till it's over.

On 1/8/2022 at 5:24 PM, timurdidnothingwrong said:

@Imperator Totius Hispaniaewow that's wild- it seems many programs are taking the covid hit and running with it in terms of reduction in admission-- how unfortunate. i will say my yale POI mentioned admissions as normal this year- but who knows what that means

Actually, it's not only COVID.

Many programs, especially the hundred or so outside the handful usually spoken on this forum, have cut admissions because there are no jobs. While we want to have graduate students (because who wouldn't want to chime in the next generation of researchers?) the truth is that it is irresponsible for programs to keep awarding degrees. Further, this means that students stay longer in programs, which needs funding and means less admissions. 

@APya that makes a lot of sense. When I spoke to a POI from Harvard back in September, they told me that they don't expect Harvard to ever go back to pre covid acceptance numbers, and sort of hinted that it was due to the fact that there aren't many jobs out there, so it would be, as you said, irresponsible to continue admitting the same number of students as before.

I had an interview today with four POIs. I had only been in contact with one of them beforehand and she was the one who sent the interview invite. I am looking for some advice on how to follow up/say thank you. Would it be appropriate to send one email to all four, to send individual emails to each one, to just email the POI who contacted me, or something else that I'm not thinking of? Thank you so much for your help and good luck to everyone!