Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

Just now, imfeeling2022 said:

Are you talking about ACORN? I tried to get onto JOINid and it said my account was invalid or something, even though I had activated it.

I meant the SGS website! 

Also, for ACORN, it is case sensitive so if your username has a capital letter it won’t recognize it

59 minutes ago, BayanAkk said:

Hello Everyone,

I spoke to someone from OISE last week regarding my application into the MEd counselling psychology programs and the representative said there has been a delay in applications this year and results are expected to be released in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully we all hear back soon!

Hey, I called them in the beginning of March and that’s the exact same thing they told me..

I’m guessing  there has been no developments and they are probably aiming for end of April/beginning of May since they told u this again last week. 

Edited by ManukaHoney

2 hours ago, ManukaHoney said:

Hey, I called them in the beginning of March and that’s the exact same thing they told me..

I’m guessing  there has been no developments and they are probably aiming for end of April/beginning of May since they told u this again last week. 

I'm losing my mind waiting for an answer and I'm trying to make decisions but everything feels on hold because they haven't released decisions yet. End of April/May is crazy... everyday I check the portal to see if anything has changed and everyday it still says "Submitted"; this has been quite a frustrating process

59 minutes ago, stillpsych said:

I'm losing my mind waiting for an answer and I'm trying to make decisions but everything feels on hold because they haven't released decisions yet. End of April/May is crazy... everyday I check the portal to see if anything has changed and everyday it still says "Submitted"; this has been quite a frustrating process

It's super frustrating for sure. And ultimately, they lose out on great candidates because folks accept somewhere else!

1 hour ago, stillpsych said:

Someone mentioned in the separate MEd OISE counselling forum that they received an email today being told that we should expect decisions about admissions by end of April. I know UofT typically sends out admission offers first before notifying waitlist people a few days to even over a week later. So, let's hope we hear about offers mid-April with waitlist notifications closer to end of April. 

9 hours ago, lmw1496 said:

Congrats to everyone on the waitlists for UBC! 

Fully expecting my rejection email to come, which makes me sad since this was my 2nd time applying, but at this point, I just wanna get it over with.

This is so, so hard. We just have to keep at it while we wait for more resources put into these programs so they can accept more students—the need for practitioners is so obvious, and there are so many talented people willing to do the job! The only missing piece is the opportunity to train. I know we’ll all get there, but I hope that structurally things can make it easier down the line. 

Edited by wannabetherapist

On 3/25/2022 at 3:52 PM, MA-Applicant-UBC said:

Hi everyone, 

I am just wondering if anyone has heard from UBC MA in Counselling program.

the Med has sent out their decisions but I haven't heard of anyone in the MA hearing yet! I know a few people that have applied who haven't heard yet 

7 hours ago, wannabetherapist said:

This is so, so hard. We just have to keep at it while we wait for more resources put into these programs so they can accept more students—the need for practitioners is so obvious, and there are so many talented people willing to do the job! The only missing piece is the opportunity to train. I know we’ll all get there, but I hope that structurally things can make it easier down the line. 

Definitely, it's disheartening that there's so few spots when the need for therapists is so great.

Will be looking into private programs (Adler, Yorkville etc) if I don't get in this round since the numbers seem to be against me with the universities.

22 hours ago, vpsych said:

I am wondering if there are any chances of getting in after being waitlisted? Just wondering if people could share any experiences or insight.

I got in to my top choice after being waitlisted :) my school's waitlist was by POI, not by rank, and both students my POI accepted declined, so it went to me! 

18 hours ago, lmw1496 said:

Definitely, it's disheartening that there's so few spots when the need for therapists is so great.

Will be looking into private programs (Adler, Yorkville etc) if I don't get in this round since the numbers seem to be against me with the universities.

Gonna give a plug for MSW programs as ones you should also look into if you're interested in counselling/therapy. UofT's program for example has a Mental Health specialization where you learn the different interventions, and working with individuals, families, groups, etc. And I know other MSW programs, including in provinces outside Ontario have clinical social work programs, which is for people interested in providing therapy. MSWs are a lot cheaper tuition than Adler & Yorkville. Definitely not discouraging you from applying to those programs (was going to apply to Yorkville this year) but I was in your position last year and looked into MSW programs once I realized you can have essentially the same career path as somone who does a masters in counselling! 

20 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Gonna give a plug for MSW programs as ones you should also look into if you're interested in counselling/therapy. UofT's program for example has a Mental Health specialization where you learn the different interventions, and working with individuals, families, groups, etc. And I know other MSW programs, including in provinces outside Ontario have clinical social work programs, which is for people interested in providing therapy. MSWs are a lot cheaper tuition than Adler & Yorkville. Definitely not discouraging you from applying to those programs (was going to apply to Yorkville this year) but I was in your position last year and looked into MSW programs once I realized you can have essentially the same career path as somone who does a masters in counselling! 

Do you mind me asking if you are now in an MSW program now?

Does anyone know any MSW programs that are online for students who have a non-social bachelors degree?

12 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

Do you mind me asking if you are now in an MSW program now?

Does anyone know any MSW programs that are online for students who have a non-social bachelors degree?

I actually recieved an acceptance last week for UofT's MSW program with the Mental Health/Health specialization! Like many of you, I'm waiting on OISE's counselling/psychotherapy program and I'm waitlisted to OISE's school and clinical child psychology program. I don't expect to get off that waitlist and at this moment in time, I'm strongly leaning towards the MSW even if I get into OISE's counselling/psychotherapy program after doing some research/talking to others. 

Laurier and I believe Windsor have an online 2 year program for non-BSW grads but was told the practicum placements for Windsor must be done in province (in case that's an issue for people). 

Just now, T.O.hopeful said:

I actually recieved an acceptance last week for UofT's MSW program with the Mental Health/Health specialization! Like many of you, I'm waiting on OISE's counselling/psychotherapy program and I'm waitlisted to OISE's school and clinical child psychology program. I don't expect to get off that waitlist and at this moment in time, I'm strongly leaning towards the MSW even if I get into OISE's counselling/psychotherapy program after doing some research/talking to others. 

Laurier and I believe Windsor have an online 2 year program for non-BSW grads but was told the practicum placements for Windsor must be done in province (in case that's an issue for people). 

Hey, thank you so much for your explanation.  I am going to DM you so can you please check your inbox! 

Thanks so much

1 hour ago, T.O.hopeful said:

First, congrats on the acceptance!!! That's great news and I'm so excited for you :)

I've definitely thought of MSWs but was discouraged since many of them require you to have a BSW, but UofT doesn't which is nice. Also, my main interest lies within providing therapy and so I gravitated toward counselling programs, but it's nice to know that you can do that with a different degree!

If I have questions about the MSW in future, is it ok if I DM you?

Edited by lmw1496

12 minutes ago, lmw1496 said:

First, congrats on the acceptance!!! That's great news and I'm so excited for you :)

I've definitely thought of MSWs but was discouraged since many of them require you to have a BSW, but UofT doesn't which is nice. Also, my main interest lies within providing therapy and so I gravitated toward counselling programs, but it's nice to know that you can do that with a different degree!

If I have questions about the MSW in future, is it ok if I DM you?

Yea for sure, feel free to message. I'm still sort of researching things, so not an expert at all but can share my impressions so far! I mentioned to another person but the tipping point for me has been that my friend introduced me to someone who did their MSW at Laurier and opened up a CBT clinic during the pandemic that has done so well that he had to hire a couple of registered social workers and psychotherapists under him. That example plus indeed counselling/therapist jobs all indicating an MSW as an appropriate background gave me reassurance that this was a good alternative to counselling/psychotherapy/clinical psych programs which are all so competitive.  

21 hours ago, imfeeling2022 said:

Incase anyone was also waiting, I got an email today at 12:30 with an acceptance from Laurier to their psychotherapy program! Don't lose hope!!!

I just got my acceptance today! Around an hour ago. I checked Loris this morning and nothing had changed so my status on Loris changed after I received the email.