2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

3 hours ago, LAVAGIRL123 said:

Has anyone received formal rejections from Queen’s, Ryerson & Guelph? I know all schools have already interviewed and sent out offers but still waiting on a formal rejection (emails, portal updates, etc.) as my status has been pending. 

I received a formal rejection from Ryerson. 

Congrats to everyone on your acceptances! Wondering if anyone has applied to Memorial University's PsyD program and has received a rejection without having done an interview? I know that they did complete a round of interviews and I saw someone post that they were accepted on this forum. But I haven't received any response yet. So I'm wondering if they are just taking a while to inform us of our rejections or if they are keeping me on hold for a potential second round of interviews that might happen. Anyone know anything at all that can help me out? I tried emailing them and they just sent me a generic response that didn't answer any of my questions. 

If anyone is planning on applying/re-applying to programs for Fall 2023 and wants their SOP's reviewed, feel free to DM me! I love editing SOP's and will have lots of time to do so over the spring and summer :)

Not specific to clinical psych but I was awarded CIHR through CGS-M for UofM despite not getting accepted. Does anyone know if I can defer the funding or if I have to decline it? No one else seems to know for some reason. 

15 minutes ago, skowall said:

Not specific to clinical psych but I was awarded CIHR through CGS-M for UofM despite not getting accepted. Does anyone know if I can defer the funding or if I have to decline it? No one else seems to know for some reason. 

You can't defer funding. You can only put that in your cv that you were awarded but declined. 

1 hour ago, skowall said:

You can defer funding only for reasons of parental or medical leave for the most part or issues surrounding visa and relocation. In either case, supporting documents are required. Quite unfortunate really...
But the fact that you got CIHR once is a good thing and you can put on CV as declined which still benefits you in a small way for the next cycle.

Hey all, on my CGS-M portal, Waterloo said I was ineligible because I wasn't registered in the program... that doesn't make sense does it?? You are allowed to apply for funding when you are applying to admission in the program, right?? I haven't been accepted to the program so it doesn't matter, but I find it really weird that they said I wasn't eligible? When the website and application recommend you apply for CGS-M? Anyone have any insight on this?

1 hour ago, emsmith said:

Hey all, on my CGS-M portal, Waterloo said I was ineligible because I wasn't registered in the program... that doesn't make sense does it?? You are allowed to apply for funding when you are applying to admission in the program, right?? I haven't been accepted to the program so it doesn't matter, but I find it really weird that they said I wasn't eligible? When the website and application recommend you apply for CGS-M? Anyone have any insight on this?

I would send them an email or give them a call to check what happened. Haven't heard of that before.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:50 AM, emsmith said:

I also got the same thing on my CGS-M portal. I agree that it doesn't make sense. Seems like they eliminated applications from rejected applicants.

Does anyone know how the waitlist works if I haven’t heard back by now? I was told by both PIs that I would know by April 15th - I even followed up recently and one PI said they would have told him if everyone had accepted, and he would have let me know. Do they usually just not get back to you until later, and if it’s past April 15th, you just assume rejection? 
I haven’t been hopeful and have been assuming rejection anyway, but now I’m just curious. Thanks!

1 hour ago, babooshka said:

Does anyone know how the waitlist works if I haven’t heard back by now? I was told by both PIs that I would know by April 15th - I even followed up recently and one PI said they would have told him if everyone had accepted, and he would have let me know. Do they usually just not get back to you until later, and if it’s past April 15th, you just assume rejection? 
I haven’t been hopeful and have been assuming rejection anyway, but now I’m just curious. Thanks!

It's a long weekend + holidays so most schools are closed since Friday, so I would give them some days to process everything else.

Edited by psychowannabee

2 hours ago, psychowannabee said:

It's a long weekend + holidays so most schools are closed since Friday, so I would give them some days to process everything else.

You’re right, and I did think that as well. Just need to be patient a little longer! 

This is sort of random, but has McMaster always waited so long just to send rejections? I woke up to another "file under review" email from them, and was confused for a moment, like "what month is this?" :)) I get it, I didn't interview, many competitive applicants, just send the rejection already. Enough with the automated emails.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:52 PM, JustTryingMyBest said:

Congrats to everyone on your acceptances! Wondering if anyone has applied to Memorial University's PsyD program and has received a rejection without having done an interview? I know that they did complete a round of interviews and I saw someone post that they were accepted on this forum. But I haven't received any response yet. So I'm wondering if they are just taking a while to inform us of our rejections or if they are keeping me on hold for a potential second round of interviews that might happen. Anyone know anything at all that can help me out? I tried emailing them and they just sent me a generic response that didn't answer any of my questions. 

Hey - did you get a rejection email? I haven't yet either....

On 4/18/2022 at 11:33 AM, SoundofSilence said:

This is sort of random, but has McMaster always waited so long just to send rejections? I woke up to another "file under review" email from them, and was confused for a moment, like "what month is this?" :)) I get it, I didn't interview, many competitive applicants, just send the rejection already. Enough with the automated emails.

It's now a running joke between my friends and I that we keep getting slapped in the face with these automated emails, haha. Even past April 15th! And I say this as someone who both worked at and attended Mac in the PNB department. It's mildly aggravating and I wish they would just get it together and send rejections. I'm still waiting on any kind of word from 4/6 schools, which I'm pretty sure did not happen last year. My reaction every time I get these is essentially an upside-down smiley face. Wishing you luck in getting your rejection, as awful as that sounds! We need closure, haha. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, sidxx said:

Anyone writing the GRE? I know so far only York U is requiring it. Do you think anyone else will? Is it worth writing? 

The scores are valid 5 years - so if you think you will be applying to programs that require it in this time frame, then you probably need to take it. The "worth it" part is debatable. Also, some people do better at standardized testing than others. You have to keep in mind the burden it can add to prepare for it - which consists of financial resources and extra time for practice - in addition to all of the other application steps. I took the old version (when it had 800 scores) once and the new version twice. Had to prepare extra for all of them, but I did see an improvement in scores. A lot of programs are making it optional or moving away from it though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/2/2022 at 4:12 PM, SoundofSilence said:

I finally got rejected by McMaster! It only took like forever. I wish there was a way to ask for my application fee back :))

McMaster application process was trash this year, and this is coming from someone with an affinity for Mac. The amount of frustration that came with every "your submission is under review" email is hard to verbalize, haha :P