2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

3 minutes ago, Nazb said:

Hi folks, 

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted this year. I'm so happy for you. After getting rejected this round, I'm thinking of applying to US as an international student. Does anyone have any information on that process? Any info or resource is much appreciated. 

The process is pretty similar, but since it's such a large country with so many programs, you do have to pay closer attention to quality of program and funding - you don't apply for external funding as much, since good programs give you a tuition waiver and stipend (and sometimes cover health insurance). I didn't apply this cycle to the US but I did apply and interviewed there in the past. If you want to chat more, feel free to DM me.

On 2/19/2022 at 3:28 PM, Nazb said:

Hi folks, 

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted this year. I'm so happy for you. After getting rejected this round, I'm thinking of applying to US as an international student. Does anyone have any information on that process? Any info or resource is much appreciated. 

Hey! great question. Unfortunately applying in the states is much harder. As another person mentioned above, its a much larger application pool and so while Canadian programs receive 200-400 applications, most of the good US schools receive 500 - 700 applications. The funding is also much more varied, but can be sometimes better. However, its overall much more competitive. I know several people who got accepted to 1-2 Canadian schools and got, maybe, interviews at US schools but no one got acceptances at US schools. I would say many of the applicants who get offers at US schools have at minimum 1 published first author paper, and several (2-3) years working as a post-bacc/research coordinator.

In my experience this has been accurate. I got interviews at 2 US schools and haven't heard back yet, but have already gotten acceptances at 2 Canadian schools. Its also worth noting that if you're a Canadian, you can always apply to tri-council funding opportunities, but if your Canadian going to an American school you're not eligible for US government based funding opportunities (i.e., NIH, NIMH, etc.) - essentially meaning your funding would have to be guaranteed by the university your applying to under an Research or Teaching assistantship. You also aren't eligible as a Canadian for many of the clinical training opportunities at Veterans Affairs in the US - you have to be an American citizen to work at any VA. I'm actually going to start a blog/small business that provides affordable counselling about the clinical psychology application process in Canada and US, so hopefully this will be helpful for you in the future :)

On 2/17/2022 at 10:41 AM, eloise50 said:

If I have not heard from Ottawa U should I assume rejection? Apparently offers went out yesterday and I have yet to hear anything... so rejected? It is driving me crazy not knowing. Like I am rejected, great. Just tell me so that I can move on! lol

If you're comfortable doing so, one option is that you could email your POI to ask them directly! 

Waitlisted for SFU and UTSC. Bit of a bummer but so it goes, and I'm grateful to have gotten this far this time! Has anyone else been through the waitlist process, and how likely is it that you'll actually receive an offer? Looking at the UTSC stats I'm not super hopeful! Thanks all

3 hours ago, babooshka said:

Waitlisted for SFU and UTSC. Bit of a bummer but so it goes, and I'm grateful to have gotten this far this time! Has anyone else been through the waitlist process, and how likely is it that you'll actually receive an offer? Looking at the UTSC stats I'm not super hopeful! Thanks all

You can always email the coordinator and ask if they are allowed to disclose your spot on the waitlist to you! Some schools do tell you if you ask

On 2/16/2022 at 12:15 PM, Rawulf said:

For those who don't follow the results page, thought I should post here as well.
Had an interview at UofT/OISE Feb. 7th for the School and Clinical Child  (with PIs not listed on my application), and this morning (16th) was told they have submitted a recommendation for me to be admitted.
Morning of 15th got an interview invitation with the two PIs I listed on my application for Western Ontario for the School and Applied Child Psychology program (they're getting accredited this year) - interview is Friday the 18th with both PIs (same time; I assume co-supervision potentially).
This is my third year applying.

On 2/16/2022 at 1:52 PM, stella18 said:

Western has been saying they will get accredited for years.... what did they say?

Following up on this from before. Received "recommendation for admission" from Western this morning as well. Someone else in this thread asked me if Western is planning to get accredited. I inquired about that this morning with the PI and I was told that all paperwork has been completed and submitted, the school is just waiting to hear back from CPA.

Was partially hoping to get rejected from one of them, as I'm not sure which school to choose between OISE and Western. Only decisive factor I can think of is if I get SSHRC at Western (didn't list OISE as a school in the research portal because I didn't think I'd ever get accepted at OISE...).

@carlrogersfan98 I also had an interview with OISE for the SCCP program at the end of January and haven't heard anything back. The POI who interviewed me said they were waiting for all the POIs who supervise students in the three programs (CCP, SCCP, Developmental) to do their interviews, and once they have done so, all the POIs would meet to decide who gets admitted. The POI who interviewed me said this process should take 2-3 weeks but we're on week 4. 

Has anybody received any more news? 

48 minutes ago, mazzie said:

@carlrogersfan98 I also had an interview with OISE for the SCCP program at the end of January and haven't heard anything back. The POI who interviewed me said they were waiting for all the POIs who supervise students in the three programs (CCP, SCCP, Developmental) to do their interviews, and once they have done so, all the POIs would meet to decide who gets admitted. The POI who interviewed me said this process should take 2-3 weeks but we're on week 4. 

My POI told me something similar. I am considering emailing mine to follow up.

Edit: I emailed and will update when I hear back!

Edited by carlrogersfan98

17 hours ago, Rawulf said:

Following up on this from before. Received "recommendation for admission" from Western this morning as well. Someone else in this thread asked me if Western is planning to get accredited. I inquired about that this morning with the PI and I was told that all paperwork has been completed and submitted, the school is just waiting to hear back from CPA.

Was partially hoping to get rejected from one of them, as I'm not sure which school to choose between OISE and Western. Only decisive factor I can think of is if I get SSHRC at Western (didn't list OISE as a school in the research portal because I didn't think I'd ever get accepted at OISE...).

Since you actually chose your POIs for Western, unlike for OISE, I can only assume that you probably like their research interests more. On that basis alone, it might be better to further consider Western. 

I did a previous masters and did not have the best experience with my PI due to clashes in our research interests and personalities. Near the end, I couldn't wait to just be done already! At the end of the day, it's super important to choose the supervisors whose research interests best aligns with yours. It'll be a very long 6-8 years if you don't genuinely enjoy the research that you'll be doing. 

Anyways, those are just my thoughts on your dilemma. Good luck and I'm sure you'll make the best decision for yourself! 

Edited by Psyduck1

1 hour ago, mazzie said:

I believe offers for SCCP have gone out last week as far as I know. My POI mentioned that they have made their decisions on Feb 10th (Thursday) and were only allowed to contact students they admitted the Monday after (Feb 14th). 

22 hours ago, Rawulf said:

I know people in the program and while it will most likely become accrediated, you get no actual practicum experience (e.g., assessment/therapy) in your masters. In the event that you do not want to pursue the PhD, you do not have the tangable skills to even do work under supervision. Also, the program is not funded in the MA. Of course go with research interests, but I would follow up to see if they will provide these experiences. Most MA programs have significantly more and was a reason I rejected. 

Edited by stella18

1 hour ago, stella18 said:

I know people in the program and while it will most likely become accrediated, you get no actual practicum experience (e.g., assessment/therapy) in your masters. In the event that you do not want to pursue the PhD, you do not have the tangable skills to even do work under supervision. Also, the program is not funded in the MA. Of course go with research interests, but I would follow up to see if they will provide these experiences. Most MA programs have significantly more and was a reason I rejected. 

I'm glad you brought up these points. The MA funding is indeed abysmal as you said, which is why my POI told me they would fund me as if I was PhD level from their own lab money. So that takes care of that. But that was the other concern I had - about practicums. I realize the GTA is full of good practicum placements.
Definitely gave me something to think about and therefore leaning more towards OISE now. Also curious about SSHRC funding as I only applied for that at Western.