2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

Does anyone have experience with UTSC interviews (or other school interview processes that are a bit intense)? I've only ever interviewed formally with one school and it was pretty relaxed, but I had to take two full days off work for UTSC, for 7 interviews over 2 days. Needless to say I'm a bit terrified and very much nervous over what they usually ask, especially when you're interviewing with staff you did not apply to. If anyone has any advice on interview processes I would be super grateful! Thank you all :)

3 hours ago, CHCL said:

Does anybody know the norm for uAlberta's SCCP program in terms of timeline, interviews(or lack thereof), method of communication, etc...?

I believe SCCP does not interview. Results are normally out mid-late Feb!

6 hours ago, CHCL said:

Does anybody know the norm for uAlberta's SCCP program in terms of timeline, interviews(or lack thereof), method of communication, etc...?

They don’t do interviews. Some supervisors may meet you for an interview beforehand if you ask, but they cannot use anything from the interview as part of the admissions process since an interview is not a formal admission requirement.

For the 2020 intake, acceptances went out Feb 13th. For the intake last year, acceptances went out in March. I’m not sure what their timeline is this year for the MEd, but PhD applications for their SCCP program are due Feb 15th, so I suspect they’ll be done with their MEd decisions by then or shortly after.

For admissions, once they’ve made a decision, you’ll find your admission status in your portal along with a letter.

Okay everyone.... here it goes. It's taken 3 cycles but I'm so beyond excited to share this.

School: Ryerson University

TypeClinical Psychology MA/PhD

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Acceptance

Type of Notification: Unofficial acceptance - formal letter coming on Monday 

Date Notified: 2/11/2022

My biggest note with this one is that if it doesn't happen your first or second time around please keep trying and do not get discouraged. Continue to gain more experience and follow your path!!

9 hours ago, aaapal said:

Okay everyone.... here it goes. It's taken 3 cycles but I'm so beyond excited to share this.

School: Ryerson University

TypeClinical Psychology MA/PhD

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Acceptance

Type of Notification: Unofficial acceptance - formal letter coming on Monday 

Date Notified: 2/11/2022

My biggest note with this one is that if it doesn't happen your first or second time around please keep trying and do not get discouraged. Continue to gain more experience and follow your path!!

Congratulations!! ?

Hi again everyone, for the people who were successful in their applications this year, would you be comfortable sharing a brief overview of your CV (either in a reply or DMed)? It's been complete radio silence from every place I applied to, so I'm assuming it's not going to work out this year. I definitely want to try to get a sense of where I can improve, since I came into this feeling confident I'd at least get interviewed.

FYI - current Psych MA student, MA GPA 4.33/4.5, total Undergrad GPA 3.91/4.5 (last 60 credit hours 4.33/4.5), 3 publications (2 first author), 2 poster presentations, 1 international conference presentation, 3 scholarships (including CSG-M), leadership positions in 3 large research projects across 2 labs. I was applying at the MA level at all institutions 

1 hour ago, ughwhyamiapsychmajor said:

Hi again everyone, for the people who were successful in their applications this year, would you be comfortable sharing a brief overview of your CV (either in a reply or DMed)? It's been complete radio silence from every place I applied to, so I'm assuming it's not going to work out this year. I definitely want to try to get a sense of where I can improve, since I came into this feeling confident I'd at least get interviewed.

FYI - current Psych MA student, MA GPA 4.33/4.5, total Undergrad GPA 3.91/4.5 (last 60 credit hours 4.33/4.5), 3 publications (2 first author), 2 poster presentations, 1 international conference presentation, 3 scholarships (including CSG-M), leadership positions in 3 large research projects across 2 labs. I was applying at the MA level at all institutions 

Sorry you haven't heard good news yet this application season. 

I don't think comparing CVs is going to help. From my perspective,  you have an amazing CV - great GPA, a master's, publications and scholarships, tons of research experience. What it comes down to often is things beyond the CV. I mean once you reach the level you are at, other things make a difference.

First I do have to say that things have been getting crazy competitive this past few years. I personally know of plenty of cohorts where 80/90% of the incoming class have a master's degree already. I know of one crazy situation where an applicant had a previous PhD degree already. This is insane. 

However, I also know plenty of faculty members who take students recommended by close colleagues or from their own labs, with just an undergrad degree. Which then boils down to being the right person at the right time, so more a matter of luck. Other times they look for unique skills or experiences to push their research into a different area in the future. So even if it looks like you have overlapping research interests, they might be looking for something else entirely.

It's very difficult to say what makes a person more or less compatible for a POI, but there are so many qualified applicants on here, that I doubt it's just a matter of CV.

17 minutes ago, psychy999 said:

Did you have an interview at York? also does anyone else's still just say "decision pending"? for York.

Mine still says "Decision pending" - no interview. In my mind i've already considered it a delayed rejection as I'm pretty sure the POIs I listed have done their interviews. 

1 minute ago, space-psych said:

Mine still says "Decision pending" - no interview. In my mind i've already considered it a delayed rejection as I'm pretty sure the POIs I listed have done their interviews. 

Okay same ? I know for some people it says "unsuccessful" but mine says " decision pending" but I have also had no interview. 

6 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Sorry you haven't heard good news yet this application season. 

I don't think comparing CVs is going to help. From my perspective,  you have an amazing CV - great GPA, a master's, publications and scholarships, tons of research experience. What it comes down to often is things beyond the CV. I mean once you reach the level you are at, other things make a difference.

First I do have to say that things have been getting crazy competitive this past few years. I personally know of plenty of cohorts where 80/90% of the incoming class have a master's degree already. I know of one crazy situation where an applicant had a previous PhD degree already. This is insane. 

However, I also know plenty of faculty members who take students recommended by close colleagues or from their own labs, with just an undergrad degree. Which then boils down to being the right person at the right time, so more a matter of luck. Other times they look for unique skills or experiences to push their research into a different area in the future. So even if it looks like you have overlapping research interests, they might be looking for something else entirely.

It's very difficult to say what makes a person more or less compatible for a POI, but there are so many qualified applicants on here, that I doubt it's just a matter of CV.

I agree with all of this, but I will add that it can also be politics internally. I can depend on who needs a student vs. who wants or could kind of use another, who had a student come in recently, or who recently got funding. I can be based on things that have nothing to do with you or your CV. Though I will say that one of the things that all of prelim people told me they really liked was that, I had a lot advocacy, knowledge translation, and volunteer work in the field I'm applying to be in (I have nearly all the same CV things as you, but I'm just coming out of my UG, so no MA GPA). 

40 minutes ago, clinicaljunky said:

I agree with all of this, but I will add that it can also be politics internally. I can depend on who needs a student vs. who wants or could kind of use another, who had a student come in recently, or who recently got funding. I can be based on things that have nothing to do with you or your CV. Though I will say that one of the things that all of prelim people told me they really liked was that, I had a lot advocacy, knowledge translation, and volunteer work in the field I'm applying to be in (I have nearly all the same CV things as you, but I'm just coming out of my UG, so no MA GPA). 

I totally agree. There are so many other factors besides the usual CV things required.

Exposure to things like advocacy and volunteer work could definitely help, but also some networking can as well. So many factors involved, many difficult to quantify, as much as we would want some clear answers.

I have an interview for the program at UPEI this week and the process sounds rather unconventional relative to other clinical programs in Canada. I would be eternally grateful if anyone who's interviewed there in the past has any advice, tips, or information regarding the interview. Feel free to DM me if you'd prefer to communicate that way.  ?? 

1 hour ago, ASSthetic said:

I have an interview for the program at UPEI this week and the process sounds rather unconventional relative to other clinical programs in Canada. I would be eternally grateful if anyone who's interviewed there in the past has any advice, tips, or information regarding the interview. Feel free to DM me if you'd prefer to communicate that way.  ?? 

I didn't apply at UPEI but would you be willing to share why the process seem unconventional?

This is an outside perspective, but maybe looking more into clinical cases, ethical issues, interpersonal situations might be good preparation for a primarily clinical program?

13 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

I didn't apply at UPEI but would you be willing to share why the process seem unconventional?

This is an outside perspective, but maybe looking more into clinical cases, ethical issues, interpersonal situations might be good preparation for a primarily clinical program?

It might be similar to other programs that have a structured interview process, I'm not sure though. They said the interview is competency based, so while it will involve general/typical interview questions, I'll also need to respond to a short clinical vignette, as well as questions regarding quantitative and qualitative research scenarios they provide. 

7 minutes ago, ASSthetic said:

It might be similar to other programs that have a structured interview process, I'm not sure though. They said the interview is competency based, so while it will involve general/typical interview questions, I'll also need to respond to a short clinical vignette, as well as questions regarding quantitative and qualitative research scenarios they provide. 

Oh I see, thanks for sharing. 

Well it doesn't sound too uncommon. Plenty of programs have clinical or ethical vignettes as part of their interviews. I've never had research scenarios for Canadian programs, but I've had them in the past for grad school in other countries. Seems like an interesting program. Best of luck! ?

Hi everyone, I previously mentioned that I got an offer for York's Adult Clinical MA program, and I accepted it today. I also interviewed at Western and McMaster, so the pool of potential students has gotten just a tiny bit smaller now. Best of luck to everyone!!

11 minutes ago, lemonsqueezy said:

Hi everyone, I previously mentioned that I got an offer for York's Adult Clinical MA program, and I accepted it today. I also interviewed at Western and McMaster, so the pool of potential students has gotten just a tiny bit smaller now. Best of luck to everyone!!

Congratulations, that is so exciting!! ❤️?