2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

2 minutes ago, stella18 said:

Western has been saying they will get accredited for years.... what did they say?

It was supposed to happen 2021 but the pandemic put it on hold. It will likely happen this year. At the very least, it would happen before the end of one's program (~6 years). They've also begun a mass hire of professors into that program and a prominent OISE prof recently moved there. I'm not concerned about them not getting accredited.

8 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

For the past couple of years we've had very few people mentioning interviews or offers with UBC-V. I did get a rejection email from them last week. However, there is a rumor that they already had interviews in January, which would be consistent with previous years as well. Your application is probably still being considered, but it might be prudent not to hold out too much hope unless a POI/admin reaches out for an interview. 

Thank you!! I also heard that they had formal interviews in early Feb but no one ever posted that on grad cafe or this forum ? I guess there should be many more applicants to UBCV than UBCO, but there are updates about interviews about UBCO only. That's quite confusing! Anyway I'll just take it as a rejection and move on~

6 hours ago, Rawulf said:

It was supposed to happen 2021 but the pandemic put it on hold. It will likely happen this year. At the very least, it would happen before the end of one's program (~6 years). They've also begun a mass hire of professors into that program and a prominent OISE prof recently moved there. I'm not concerned about them not getting accredited.

will they be interviewing more people or are all interviews already out?

2 minutes ago, sidxx said:

will they be interviewing more people or are all interviews already out?

Uh... is that information normally publicly available? I can only assume they will be interviewing more but there's no real way to know. I do have the inside scoop for SOME schools but Western isn't one of them.

2 hours ago, skowall said:

Has anyone heard anything about Calgary, Ottawa or UVic Clinical Lifespan stream? Also wondered if anyone has attended the CPA conference and would recommend going?

Someone posted here a while ago that they got a formal offer to Calgary. Ottawa offers have gone out as well I believe and the UVic formal interviews are this week.

1 hour ago, hopefulcandi said:

Has anyone heard anything about Concordia University of Edmonton's new PsyD program? Have they done their interviews yet?

I believe acceptances have gone out already. Tuition is CRAZY high for that program which deterred me from applying so I would be curious to hear how people who did get in are going to fund it 

5 minutes ago, clinicalpolarbear said:

My interviews were in January and I received an offer. Feel free to pm me with any questions :) 

Looks like the program is putting a lot of effort to align their curriculum with the CPA requirements in preparation for accreditation, which is a good thing to see. Would you mind sharing your experience? I'm sure there are others on the forum who would like to know your impression of the program, if they offer funding and of course general feedback once the program starts.

8 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

Looks like the program is putting a lot of effort to align their curriculum with the CPA requirements in preparation for accreditation, which is a good thing to see. Would you mind sharing your experience? I'm sure there are others on the forum who would like to know your impression of the program, if they offer funding and of course general feedback once the program starts.

Yes, their curriculum looks pretty much in like with what you'd see in other CPA accredited programs so I'm not concerned. The program director is from a CPA accredited program and so is my POI. Funding is not guaranteed unfortunately, however they did offer me the option of completing TA-ships and RA-ships -- so essentially you're not forced to TA but you can do it if you want. There is also no limit to the number of RA-ships you can hold, and they have partnerships with UofA and AHS so you can get RA positions there too. One of the current grad students I met said she has 2 RA-ships and has even already taught a course in her winter term of first year! I also applied for their $5000 doctoral entrance scholarship and will be applying for other scholarships I'm eligible for. Once the program starts I'll for sure be able to share general feedback :) 

12 minutes ago, clinicalpolarbear said:

Yes, their curriculum looks pretty much in like with what you'd see in other CPA accredited programs so I'm not concerned. The program director is from a CPA accredited program and so is my POI. Funding is not guaranteed unfortunately, however they did offer me the option of completing TA-ships and RA-ships -- so essentially you're not forced to TA but you can do it if you want. There is also no limit to the number of RA-ships you can hold, and they have partnerships with UofA and AHS so you can get RA positions there too. One of the current grad students I met said she has 2 RA-ships and has even already taught a course in her winter term of first year! I also applied for their $5000 doctoral entrance scholarship and will be applying for other scholarships I'm eligible for. Once the program starts I'll for sure be able to share general feedback :) 

Thank you for sharing. It looks like an interesting program and I think many more people will be applying, especially after it passes the accreditation visit. Hopefully they are also able to provide you with good placements and enough variety, especially since it's more clinical focused.

Congrats on the offer and best of luck!

Edited by SoundofSilence

7 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

Thank you for sharing. It looks like an interesting program and I think many more people will be applying, especially after it passes the accreditation visit. Hopefully they are also able to provide you with good placements and enough variety, especially since it's more clinical focused.

Congrats on the offer and best of luck!

Definitely! I won't be surprised if they receive more applications even before they receive accreditation -- it looks like UPEI is in a similar boat, they're currently unaccredited but their application numbers have skyrocketed especially since they waived the GRE. Hopefully, yes! It looks like everyone will receive broad training in each clinical area with the option to complete additional practicums in neuropsychology and forensic psychology :) 

Received my rejection from Ottawa today. Also got an email from Ryerson inviting me to a virtual information session "After applying to Grad school, whats next?". Not sure if thats their way of telling me I didn't get in but I'm going to assume I was rejected. 

Anyone waiting on MUN, I just heard back that they are currently interviewing 15 people (invites already sent out) and offers to those applicants will be made in 1-2 weeks (from the PysD program secretary). So it's virtually a no if you don't have an interview invite, unless all 15 of those people don't end up in the program (which is extremely unlikely). just a PSA :)

2 hours ago, skowall said:

Received my rejection from Ottawa today. Also got an email from Ryerson inviting me to a virtual information session "After applying to Grad school, whats next?". Not sure if thats their way of telling me I didn't get in but I'm going to assume I was rejected. 

Haha, I also got the Ryerson email. Am assuming rejection as well.

53 minutes ago, babooshka said:

Haha, I also got the Ryerson email. Am assuming rejection as well.

If it helps I do not remember getting an email like that when I was rejected last year, but maybe things are different this time (I did not reapply this year).

Well friends I think that’s the unofficial end of this admissions round for me. I didn’t get any interviews, got my rejections from Windsor last week, and reached out to my POI at USask to ask if I was still in the running and I am not. I think it’s safe to say I didn’t get in at UVic or McMaster as I haven’t heard anything from them. This is my first cycle applying, last year I got rejected from social work, I knew it was dumb to get my hopes up and apply but I’m still crushed. I don’t really feel anything yet but I’m sure it will hit me soon. Good luck to everyone wishing you fantastic studies ???