2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

Woww sooooooo officially received an offer of acceptance into York! I am very excited!!!

I have been applying over 7 years to clinical (in the meantime completed a masters in personality and measurement, and have been working as a research assistant over the past 3.5 years, with ample publication opportunities). 

Also... if any others are headed to Toronto and would like a roommate, or even someone else to shop housing with for moral support, please let me know. Toronto living on a student wage might be a ~*struggle*~. 

Hope all of you are holding up - this process is very stressful and it can be so difficult not to take rejections as a reflection of personal competence/worth. I was so close to giving up this dream, but I am honestly grateful for the time it took because I feel so much more prepared now. Best of luck to everybody ❤️

27 minutes ago, Psych.kitty said:

Woww sooooooo officially received an offer of acceptance into York! I am very excited!!!

I have been applying over 7 years to clinical (in the meantime completed a masters in personality and measurement, and have been working as a research assistant over the past 3.5 years, with ample publication opportunities). 

Also... if any others are headed to Toronto and would like a roommate, or even someone else to shop housing with for moral support, please let me know. Toronto living on a student wage might be a ~*struggle*~. 

Hope all of you are holding up - this process is very stressful and it can be so difficult not to take rejections as a reflection of personal competence/worth. I was so close to giving up this dream, but I am honestly grateful for the time it took because I feel so much more prepared now. Best of luck to everybody ❤️

Congratulations on getting admitted!! ? That is an amazing accomplishment and so exciting!! If possible, can I DM you with some questions?

This is my first application cycle. Could anyone explain why it takes some schools so long to send out rejections? I applied to 10 Clinical programs and received 0 interviews, so why have none sent out formal rejection notifications? Any insight into the process would be helpful.

1 hour ago, trin98 said:

This is my first application cycle. Could anyone explain why it takes some schools so long to send out rejections? I applied to 10 Clinical programs and received 0 interviews, so why have none sent out formal rejection notifications? Any insight into the process would be helpful.

Unfortunately I don't think schools really have any good reason for the amount of time it takes to send rejections. Sending out "no's" really just isn't a high priority for them. Usually if you haven't received an interview invite by February that is a pretty good indicator that it isn't going to happen. It is ridiculous that they make us wait so long to get a definitive no but I can't see that changing anytime soon :( UNB is the only school I have ever applied to that sends out their rejections at the same time as their interview invites. Dalhousie is notoriously slow...any time I have applied to them they haven't rejected me until April. Sorry this isn't a real encouraging response. Once you have been through the process once it gets easier to gauge where you stand. My first year I sat like a blissful idiot thinking "no news is good news" but sadly I have learned that isn't the case. If this is what you really want keep trying, though! Best of luck :) 

Edited by wannabeclinical

On 3/4/2022 at 10:20 PM, HopingFor2022 said:

Received rejection from U of C’s clinical program today. Congrats to all those that were accepted!

Has anyone else heard from Calgary? That one is my last hope for this year but I haven't heard anything and I don't believe they even had many interviews if any. 

1 hour ago, skowall said:

Has anyone else heard from Calgary? That one is my last hope for this year but I haven't heard anything and I don't believe they even had many interviews if any. 

Offers have already gone out so if you haven't heard anything, it's not looking good. 

Here is an update on my journey! This was my first cycle ever applying to grad school (I am currently finishing up my undergrad) and I am proud and excited to say I was accepted into one of my top schools! I applied to 5 grad schools and was interviewed by 3, waitlisted by 1, and accepted by 1 !  Feel free to message me if you have any questions :) 

1 hour ago, psychy999 said:

Here is an update on my journey! This was my first cycle ever applying to grad school (I am currently finishing up my undergrad) and I am proud and excited to say I was accepted into one of my top schools! I applied to 5 grad schools and was interviewed by 3, waitlisted by 1, and accepted by 1 !  Feel free to message me if you have any questions :) 

Congrats!! ? That is quite the achievement. It seems you targeted your applications really well. Hope you take some time to relax and enjoy before the academic year starts :)

Hello all! I just received an email from an institution I was waitlisted at saying that they've ranked my CGS-M application highly. What would hypothetically happen if I got the scholarship? Would it affect my waitlist status in any way, in anyone's experience? I'm unsure of the process. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, babooshka said:

Hello all! I just received an email from an institution I was waitlisted at saying that they've ranked my CGS-M application highly. What would hypothetically happen if I got the scholarship? Would it affect my waitlist status in any way, in anyone's experience? I'm unsure of the process. Thank you!

The two adjudication processes are separate and governed by different committees. Your scholarship ranking or even getting the scholarship is unlikely to affect your chances of getting in.
You could get the scholarship and be rejected from the program in which case you would have to decline the scholarship.
That said, it is not completely unheard of for a supervisor to push for a student's acceptance if they received CGS-M - this information is from me speaking with clinical students directly at various universities including but not limited to OISE, Ryerson, Queen's, Windsor, and YorkU. However, this has happened very few times, perhaps 2 or 3 cases that I have personally heard of.

Edited by Rawulf

1 minute ago, Rawulf said:

The two adjudication processes are separate and governed by different committees. Your scholarship ranking or even getting the scholarship is unlikely to affect your chances of getting in.
You could get the scholarship and be rejected from the program in which case you would have to decline the scholarship.
That said, it is not completely unheard of for a supervisor to push for a student's acceptance if they received CGS-M - this information is from me speaking with clinical students directly at various universities including but not limited to OISE, Ryerson, Queen's, Windsor, and YorkU.

Thank you so much, that's very helpful! I was curious because the email I received was from the supervisor I applied to. Well, good to know that at least my scholarship application was acceptable, even if I don't get in. It's the little things :P

1 minute ago, babooshka said:

Thank you so much, that's very helpful! I was curious because the email I received was from the supervisor I applied to. Well, good to know that at least my scholarship application was acceptable, even if I don't get in. It's the little things :P

If your PI is the one who let you know then that might actually be a good sign; but don't use that as the basis for your hope. What school is this at?

1 minute ago, Rawulf said:

If your PI is the one who let you know then that might actually be a good sign; but don't use that as the basis for your hope. What school is this at?

For sure. At this point, I'm not putting hope into much as I'm getting used to the rejections this third time around, haha. It's at UTSC.

1 minute ago, babooshka said:

For sure. At this point, I'm not putting hope into much as I'm getting used to the rejections this third time around, haha. It's at UTSC.

Best thing you can do for yourself is to not hope. I gave up hope last year and I got in this year on my third round of applying. I was already starting to make a list for which schools to apply for next year when I received emails that I was recommended for admission at OISE and Western. But overall, the healthiest thing I did for myself was assume rejection ?

Hey everyone! 

I'm wondering if anyone has heard from their PI at Lakehead throughout this entire process? They apparently don't do interviews but I find that hard to believe... I wonder if supervisors are doing informal interviews. 

Any insight would be helpful :)

Hi everyone! I recently accepted my offer at Western University (I received an unofficial offer from my PI on February 14 and the official offer letter on my student center account on February 23)! If anyone else has accepted at Western, feel free to message me! I would be happy to get to know you and look for housing together if you would be interested. I'm very excited to start and best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!