2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

Hey Guys!

I'm applying to the project-based Master's at UVic this year. Does anyone know if project-based applicants are still expected to have research experience? I would have assumed that because you don't do research in this stream it's not as important, but it also seems like making assumptions is a bad idea when it comes to these applications haha. 

Also for those who received an interview invite, was that for the research stream? My portal says my application's still under review from the department so I'm hoping they just haven't gotten to the project-based students yet. 

Any help would be very appreciated!

4 hours ago, maryck07 said:

what is the discord server?

Discord is a messaging app and theres a "server" or group that is for people applying to psychology programs! I'm not great with tech so I'm not sure how to send the link to it but I think someone posted it here at the start of this thread

3 hours ago, bran_muffin said:

Hey Guys!

I'm applying to the project-based Master's at UVic this year. Does anyone know if project-based applicants are still expected to have research experience? I would have assumed that because you don't do research in this stream it's not as important, but it also seems like making assumptions is a bad idea when it comes to these applications haha. 

Also for those who received an interview invite, was that for the research stream? My portal says my application's still under review from the department so I'm hoping they just haven't gotten to the project-based students yet. 

Any help would be very appreciated!

There's a project-based masters at UVic? Is that for the counselling program? 

22 minutes ago, peachpits said:

There's a project-based Masters at UVic? Is that for the counseling program? 

Yup! It looks pretty similar to the research-based program just without the research (obviously) and PhD opportunities, from my understanding it's basically just a professional development program. Personally, I just want a program that will allow me to practice as a clinical counselor in BC, don't care too much about the research side of things. If anyone has insight into these kinds of programs and how to get in I'd love to hear your thoughts ?

On 2/13/2022 at 11:26 AM, ASSthetic said:

I have an interview for the program at UPEI this week and the process sounds rather unconventional relative to other clinical programs in Canada. I would be eternally grateful if anyone who's interviewed there in the past has any advice, tips, or information regarding the interview. Feel free to DM me if you'd prefer to communicate that way.  ?? 

I interviewed at UPEI two years ago and I'm assuming some of the interview questions are the same. It was very little of talking about yourself and how you fit into the program and mostly how you would handle certain scenarios. Like how would you handle a client that's coming to you with this, how would you tweak this research project, how would you assess this research question, etc. Their big thing is recognizing diversity and cultural considerations so make sure you reference those in your answers. Hopefully this helps and good luck!!!

2 hours ago, PsychHopeful_x said:

I interviewed at UPEI two years ago and I'm assuming some of the interview questions are the same. It was very little of talking about yourself and how you fit into the program and mostly how you would handle certain scenarios. Like how would you handle a client that's coming to you with this, how would you tweak this research project, how would you assess this research question, etc. Their big thing is recognizing diversity and cultural considerations so make sure you reference those in your answers. Hopefully this helps and good luck!!!

This is super helpful - thank you so much! ?

OISE offers starting to go out!

Hi all, thought individuals would want to hear about OISE since I haven't seen much on this forum.

I got an offer today from OISE for the SCCP program but rejected it because I've already accepted at York.

Hopefully this is helpful to some of you!

Best of luck :)

12 minutes ago, Psyched12345 said:

Just wanted to share in case anyone is waiting to hear - I received word today that my name is being forwarded for acceptance at Mcmaster.

congrats!!! If you aren't familiar with the school or the area, I'm happy to share info. I completed my undergrad at Mac and I'm familiar with some of the admitting faculty. That invitation is open to anyone else who got accepted as well!

Hi everyone! I thought it would be helpful to share that I received an official letter of acceptance from Ryerson earlier today. I'm more than happy to share POI initials if you want to DM me. To the best of my knowledge, Ryerson is contacting accepted applicants over the next few days. 

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back! :)

Edited by Stu111

3 hours ago, jenbloobery said:

OISE offers starting to go out!

Hi all, thought individuals would want to hear about OISE since I haven't seen much on this forum.

I got an offer today from OISE for the SCCP program but rejected it because I've already accepted at York.

Hopefully this is helpful to some of you!

Best of luck :)

AHH I need to retract this statement and specify -> unofficial offers may be going out right now - official ones are going out in March (I re-read my email more closely).

17 hours ago, lemonsqueezy said:

congrats!!! If you aren't familiar with the school or the area, I'm happy to share info. I completed my undergrad at Mac and I'm familiar with some of the admitting faculty. That invitation is open to anyone else who got accepted as well!

Oh me too actually! Maybe we know each other :P Happy to also give any info you might want on some RCT faculty.

6 hours ago, passionfruit said:

Hi, does anyone know about the progress at UBCV? I saw there are some updates on gradcafe about rejection, but I didn't receive anything yet and my status is sill 'in progress'. No formal/informal interview. Should I hold hope or just take it as rejection lol

For the past couple of years we've had very few people mentioning interviews or offers with UBC-V. I did get a rejection email from them last week. However, there is a rumor that they already had interviews in January, which would be consistent with previous years as well. Your application is probably still being considered, but it might be prudent not to hold out too much hope unless a POI/admin reaches out for an interview. 

Edited by SoundofSilence
typo

For those who don't follow the results page, thought I should post here as well.
Had an interview at UofT/OISE Feb. 7th for the School and Clinical Child  (with PIs not listed on my application), and this morning (16th) was told they have submitted a recommendation for me to be admitted.
Morning of 15th got an interview invitation with the two PIs I listed on my application for Western Ontario for the School and Applied Child Psychology program (they're getting accredited this year) - interview is Friday the 18th with both PIs (same time; I assume co-supervision potentially).
This is my third year applying.

1 hour ago, Rawulf said:

For those who don't follow the results page, thought I should post here as well.
Had an interview at UofT/OISE Feb. 7th for the School and Clinical Child  (with PIs not listed on my application), and this morning (16th) was told they have submitted a recommendation for me to be admitted.
Morning of 15th got an interview invitation with the two PIs I listed on my application for Western Ontario for the School and Applied Child Psychology program (they're getting accredited this year) - interview is Friday the 18th with both PIs (same time; I assume co-supervision potentially).
This is my third year applying.

Western has been saying they will get accredited for years.... what did they say?