MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

5 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

I think in general if you can financially afford to apply to more than one program and there's more than one program that's a good fit for you, then it's always a good idea to go this route. That said, it sounds like you have a really strong application based on your experience and the fact that you got to the interview stage of UofT's program, which is arguably the hardest Canadian program to get into given how many applications they receive. I don't know anything about UofC's program but given your background/history I think you'll be a stong candidate for this program as well! :) 

As an aside, for people that applied to UofT's MSW program, are there interviews for this program? I didn't see anything on the department website indicating applicants would be interviewed. Any insight on this process would be greatly appreciated! 

no interviews thankfully, I applied last year and was waitlisted. 

41 minutes ago, MSW-Advanced Standing said:

this week we probably would hear something back from schools as most of them resume from holidays

hopes up

I think based on last years forum, most schools don't release acceptances until at least mid feb. 

10 minutes ago, MSW-Advanced Standing said:

i mean at least an email like setting the student online platform or sth ;) it's nice to hear sth for them no matter waht

totally resonate with this, which schools did you apply to? 

Just now, MSW-Advanced Standing said:

UOFT and UBC 

both advanced standing 

what about you?

I applied for UBCO, Carleton, and UofT all for the 2 year. For UofT I know other folks said that they were waiting for an email for a join ID or something but tbh I don't know if they are doing this? I am a different situation bc I have one from last year but now since they use the different platform you don't really need that to login I think to view the application it's all on that new portal.. honestly I am confused as well!

On 7/23/2021 at 12:41 PM, Jillianjiggs said:

hi!

I applied recently to the May '22 start at Laurier.

I'm only applying to distance schools this go around, because I have a full time job and a mortgage! I've been volunteering or working in the field since ~2007 ahead of my BSW start.

Background:

• ~25,000 hours of paid/volunteer social work experience (residential youth care-2yr, child protection-3yr, emergency social services-5yr, disaster services-5yr, two BSW placements, forensic mental health); 20k was after BSW
  • 2011 3.4/4 BSW, 2021 3.5/4 BA in Law/Sociology and Psych, Indigenous Studies certificate
  • 88.3% over last ten courses (30 CH)
  • 80% over last twenty courses (60 CH)
  • 81% over last ten BSW courses
  • Research assistant/teaching assistant for two semesters during BSW

Considering a thesis route and was approached by someone in my field of interest based on coursework completed during my BA/Indigenous Studies Cert so having an existential crisis over that, but that is for another day to solve!

I checked LORIS today on a whim and received my acceptance!!

Will be taking this spot for sure.

Happy new year and good luck to everyone waiting for decisions!

On 12/14/2021 at 9:09 AM, smetan said:

Hi all. I applied to the spring start for Laurier (May 2022, I believe). This was the online, part-time MSW.  I submitted the application in June. I certainly didn't expect a response right away, but it's been 6 months now. 

Has anyone heard from them for the spring start? I am assuming I didn't get in (I understood it was competitive) and rejections are delayed, or I somehow slipped through the cracks. Wondering if anyone has any insight on the spring start? thank you.

I applied for this intake and received my acceptance in late Dec.

Congrats!! What an awesome new year news! I applied for the Sept 2021 intake and was wondering where on LORIS does it offer the acceptance? Thanks

2 hours ago, Jillianjiggs said:

I checked LORIS today on a whim and received my acceptance!!

Will be taking this spot for sure.

Happy new year and good luck to everyone waiting for decisions!

26 minutes ago, MLMSW2022 said:

Congrats!! What an awesome new year news! I applied for the Sept 2021 intake and was wondering where on LORIS does it offer the acceptance? Thanks

I clicked the link in the email and it brought me to LORIS. It was in the application section after I clicked on my program.

Thank you!!

Now to kill time to May :)

ps if anyone else gets in fr here I do have a fb group started!!

12 hours ago, HopefulApplicant17 said:

Seeing that people got accepted to WLU has me refreshing LORIS every 2 minutes haha. Congrats everyone so far! Fingers crossed!

Did you apply for May as well? I wouldn't expect a decision to come while they're closed for the holidays; it looks like they hit send before going out of office! ?

They'll probably send out the next round this week or next, I had to January 7 to accept!

On 1/1/2022 at 5:14 PM, ChipDip said:

I'm finishing my statement of interest for UBC 2-year program and I am really struggling with the 1000 word limit and so many questions and questions within questions! Does anyone have any tips or advice they'd be willing to share?

I feel you.. I just focused on the 166 word count for each question, which was tricky because I feel like I missed out on so much detail. I got someone to review it and just made sure I was answering the question properly and getting to the point right away. 

Hey everyone, new to this forum. I was just looking forward to chat with any uoft 2 year applicants. I am super nervous about applications lol! Does past applicants have any idea what uoft prioritize on? Do they came about GPA or more experience? I am worried if UOFT will take into consideration the cumulative GPA instead of just the last year. I really did not do too well on the first two years but managed to do fairly well in the last two years. Really hoping that does not affect my application too badly. On terms of experience, I have about 1500+hours of relevant experience working in homeless shelters and with marginalized communities. I would be happy to hear about some of y’all’s experiences and concerns! Just trying to get rid of this jittery feeling inside lmao

I've been looking through all the posts on this forum and have not come across one person who applied for Ryerson's MSW Advanced Standing Program. I get that it's less popular because they don't have a 2 year stream, so if you applied please let me know! I would love to connect with someone who applied for it. 

I mainly only applied to Ryerson because my field placement for my BSW might extend beyond April which would result in a Fall 2022 graduation. I found that Ryerson MSW is the only program that accepts people for Fall 2022 even if they are graduating in Fall 2022. I might be wrong though, but I've been to all the information sessions for Toronto MSW programs and Ryerson was the only one that mentioned this. Also, I am doing my BSW at York and I like how they structured the program to be very social justice based.

The foundation from my BSW program made me realize I want to keep going down the path of macro level social work. I would've applied to York as well, but it would be a waste of money to apply if I'm graduating in Fall 2022. If I don't get into Ryerson, I'll probably look for a job in my line of work and then reapply for Fall 2023 at York and UofT. I am mostly planning on applying within Toronto even if it's for Fall 2023 because of some commitments I have here. That may change if applying to more schools gets me a better chance of getting in, because there's less of a chance I would reapply for Fall 2024. 

4 hours ago, Unicornfrrf said:

Hey everyone, new to this forum. I was just looking forward to chat with any uoft 2 year applicants. I am super nervous about applications lol! Does past applicants have any idea what uoft prioritize on? Do they came about GPA or more experience? I am worried if UOFT will take into consideration the cumulative GPA instead of just the last year. I really did not do too well on the first two years but managed to do fairly well in the last two years. Really hoping that does not affect my application too badly. On terms of experience, I have about 1500+hours of relevant experience working in homeless shelters and with marginalized communities. I would be happy to hear about some of y’all’s experiences and concerns! Just trying to get rid of this jittery feeling inside lmao

I applied last year and got waitlisted, 3.84GPA, behaviour science bachelors degree, decent amount of relevant experience, etc.. in my opinion it's all about the cohort that they want and experience/personal statement, for example taking x amount of people who have worked clinically and x amount of people who haven't.. from what I hear they REALLY value talking about lived experience (every person I spoke to who has successfully been accepted to the program did this) this year my application is stronger as I wrote a thesis, completed more volunteer work and talked about my mental health experience.

don't get hung up on GPA, it's UofT so it is extremely competitive but at the same time there is more to the application that matters (i.e. experience). It is a really nerve wracking process, the waiting game absolutely sucks.. I waited from december to april last year just to hear that I was waitlisted then april-september when I didn't get a spot so I feel you. 

19 minutes ago, teaandSW21 said:

I applied last year and got waitlisted, 3.84GPA, behaviour science bachelors degree, decent amount of relevant experience, etc.. in my opinion it's all about the cohort that they want and experience/personal statement, for example taking x amount of people who have worked clinically and x amount of people who haven't.. from what I hear they REALLY value talking about lived experience (every person I spoke to who has successfully been accepted to the program did this) this year my application is stronger as I wrote a thesis, completed more volunteer work and talked about my mental health experience.

don't get hung up on GPA, it's UofT so it is extremely competitive but at the same time there is more to the application that matters (i.e. experience). It is a really nerve wracking process, the waiting game absolutely sucks.. I waited from december to april last year just to hear that I was waitlisted then april-september when I didn't get a spot so I feel you. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It is nice to read some positive words during this waiting game. Thankfully I did include some lived experiences but again I don’t feel I included nearly enough with the word limit ?. But it’s too late to change anything now so just praying everything goes well. Best of luck to you!! 

On 1/2/2022 at 10:03 AM, Jillianjiggs said:

Did you apply for May as well? I wouldn't expect a decision to come while they're closed for the holidays; it looks like they hit send before going out of office! ?

They'll probably send out the next round this week or next, I had to January 7 to accept!

I applied for May! Seems they did the first round before the holidays for sure. Nothing today so I am assuming they will do the next round after the 7th! Congrats!! 

On 12/29/2021 at 11:46 AM, T.O.hopeful said:

I think in general if you can financially afford to apply to more than one program and there's more than one program that's a good fit for you, then it's always a good idea to go this route. That said, it sounds like you have a really strong application based on your experience and the fact that you got to the interview stage of UofT's program, which is arguably the hardest Canadian program to get into given how many applications they receive. I don't know anything about UofC's program but given your background/history I think you'll be a stong candidate for this program as well! :) 

As an aside, for people that applied to UofT's MSW program, are there interviews for this program? I didn't see anything on the department website indicating applicants would be interviewed. Any insight on this process would be greatly appreciated! 

I believe the only U of T MSW program with an interview component is the Indigenous Trauma and Resilience stream.