MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

On 11/25/2021 at 5:36 AM, okayidk said:

Hi! Just wanted to see if anyone can confirm that York's admission deadline for the 2-year MSW program is Dec 15? The website says the application is available from October 15-Dec 15, but I couldn't find a specific deadline listed for documents (SOP, CV, supplementary form) and just wanted to check

Hi, I read that too. I saw on the FAQ page that the application closed MID DECEMBER. I've also found DECEMBER 15 listed in the graduate studies admissions page.   https://socialwork.gradstudies.yorku.ca/files/2020/07/msw-application-faq-july-20.pdf?x44859 https://futurestudents.yorku.ca/graduate/programs/social-work 

20 hours ago, alwayswaytoolatemsw said:

anyone has a good format for UOFT MSW Resume that I can use. 

Is it too late to apply tomrw?

send help. lol

thanks

use novo resume its a great website and worth to pay for the monthly fee just for the perks.. also I believe the Uoft fees and some other deadlines such as transcripts etc is today (nov 30 2021) so you can try

Edited by teaandSW21
mistake in info

For those applying to the 2 year msw at Laurier; im wondering if we are supposed to cover all the prompts or secondary questions asked in the statement of interest. I've made the effort to answer them all but with the word count, its difficult to mention things in detail. Would love to hear any advice or know what others are doing.

Hi everyone! I am doing a pretty grand sweet of applications this year, applying to Laurier, UofT, UofT (ITR), Carleton, UofM (IK), Dalhousie, and Lakehead (HBSW) - all for the 2-year streams. I come from a background in arts and cultural administration and programming, so I may be a bit of an outlier in that way. Would love to hear of anyone's experience applying to MSW/BSW programs from the arts and cultural sector. Good luck everyone!

On 11/30/2021 at 11:55 AM, HopeisthewaytoCope said:

For those applying to the 2 year msw at Laurier; im wondering if we are supposed to cover all the prompts or secondary questions asked in the statement of interest. I've made the effort to answer them all but with the word count, its difficult to mention things in detail. Would love to hear any advice or know what others are doing.

Hello,

I am applying for the advanced standing online part-time program at Laurier but it looks like the supplementary documents are the same regardless of the program. I definitely hear what you're saying about how difficult it is to balance detail with the limited word count - I am also struggling with that a lot in all my applications! This is my second application to Laurier and I am trying to be more detailed and let more of "me" come through. I am going to try and put in a few brief specific examples that don't require a lot of background but hopefully help make my application more personable.

For the statement of interest secondary questions, it does say to "Please be sure to address the four points above" but I think that can be done in any way. Originally I thought of answering them as four questions but looking over them again, I think I will write a statement and just make sure to touch on each of those points in some way or another. I attended a few of the application info sessions and I wrote down a note that specially said for the social issue section, the questions are just prompts and we can decide which ones to give more weight to in our answer.

I hope that is helpful! I'm currently working on my 350 word statements for the Experience Profile and trying to figure out how to explain all of my different experiences as well as highlight how it shows that I am "ready to take action on equity and decolonization."

Good luck to everyone!

On 11/11/2021 at 12:16 PM, riaveda said:

Thanks @HBSW2021 that is very helpful! How have you found the program so far? 

I've found the program to be great but intense for sure- hence the late reply (SO sorry!). Most of the profs are great and I like how the HBSW program is viewed positively by other schools since I am applying to advanced standing MSW programs for next year. There are a lot of assignments but I feel I have gained a solid foundation and am glad I went this route. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I can try to answer them the best I can! ?

On 11/27/2021 at 2:42 PM, MSWMa said:

This board seems pretty quiet compared to previous years. I wonder if there’s reasoning it just luck of the year?

Maybe people are just exhausted from being so perpetually online over the last couple of years? I think it will also ramp up in Feb-April before decisions start coming out.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there're more re-applicants this year - I know UofT at least had way more applicants last year than usual, so maybe those folks don't feel they need as much support/have as many questions, since they've gone through the process before.

I received an emailed letter that I was accepted into St. Thomas University's MSW program for September 2022. This is a One-year Post-BSW in person program. Has anyone applied? 

I see that they have extended the application date to March 2022, if anyone is interested, new program, not as many applicants it seems. 

On 11/11/2021 at 12:38 PM, HBSW2021 said:

Hey! If you're referring to the one-year HBSW I'm currently in the program now and it's online! However, the MSW program at Lakehead is currently in-person and it's likely that the HBSW will return to on-campus next year. I hope that helps! 

@JMarble Here is someone in the Program this year!

hey! 

I am applying to the 2 year MSW programs at UofT, Carleton, York, Western, and Laurier. I am already accepted into the Waterloo BSW program for 2022 start, but thought i would try my luck. Last year I applied to all of these school MSW programs and got waitlisted for all so i’m trying again as I have a ton more experience (got a new job and a promotion at my second job) completed a graduate certificate and started volunteering for 2 organizations this past year. I am also doing post degree social work courses right now which are the foundation for all BSW programs. Fingers crossed not as many people apply this year, last year was chaos! 

Good Luck everyone!