MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

Hello there!

I am a social worker from Hong Kong and currently applying for Advanced MSW in Canada. I think it is rare to have international students here asking about MSW?

I have been working as social worker for more than 10 years (wasn't sure but 20000 hours at least?) in Clinical settings. My grades are really average comparing to the North America system (in my hometown the best student usually got 85% only!). I wasn't sure if I have the competitive edge yet I have some experiences in working as fieldwork supervisor for university. May I know if there are some social work schools in Ontario which are more and less competitive?

Currently I am going to apply: UBC, UofT, McMaster and York (or Laurier? Heard that it is competitive but why?)

Many Thanks and I hope I can understand more about the social work industry in Canada from you all!

13 hours ago, HopeisthewaytoCope said:

Hey There!

I am in the same boat as you in terms of level of experience and education. I'm curios to know which schools you're applying to?

Hey!

I'm applying to York, UofT and King's.

Is this your first time applying? How do you feel about your experience/education?

Edited by IWantMSW

Hi everyone! I am a junior student from mainland China and will get my BA degree in communication(or Advertising, I'm not so sure which one is exact) next year. I didn't see many international students here too and it makes me feel a little bit nervous actually.

I am wondering will it be better if I apply for BSW first rather than for non-BSW entry of MSW? Cuz I found that the MSW program is extremely competitive and I only got about 1200 hours of relevant works experience, spread between sex education, anti-domestic violence, and female support. There are so many outstanding people out there with 6000+ hours so I think maybe I should get a BSW first?

I think maybe it's easier for me to apply for BSW but my parents only want me to apply for a master's actually, they can not accept that I have another bachelor's degree cuz it means nothing from their perspective. But I am really worried about I may fail this year. Btw I plan to get a SW degree and find a job in CA then try my best to obtain PR here and tbh there is no second year for me cuz my parents won't let me have a second-round next year, so I really need some advice on it.

And currently, I want to apply: Dalhousie, Laurier, Lakehead, Windsor, and Memorial, still thinking about U of T and UBC. 

Thanks a lot for any advice.

On 9/11/2021 at 3:42 AM, CaseyMSW said:

Hi everyone! I am a junior student from mainland China and will get my BA degree in communication(or Advertising, I'm not so sure which one is exact) next year. I didn't see many international students here too and it makes me feel a little bit nervous actually.

I am wondering will it be better if I apply for BSW first rather than for non-BSW entry of MSW? Cuz I found that the MSW program is extremely competitive and I only got about 1200 hours of relevant works experience, spread between sex education, anti-domestic violence, and female support. There are so many outstanding people out there with 6000+ hours so I think maybe I should get a BSW first?

I think maybe it's easier for me to apply for BSW but my parents only want me to apply for a master's actually, they can not accept that I have another bachelor's degree cuz it means nothing from their perspective. But I am really worried about I may fail this year. Btw I plan to get a SW degree and find a job in CA then try my best to obtain PR here and tbh there is no second year for me cuz my parents won't let me have a second-round next year, so I really need some advice on it.

And currently, I want to apply: Dalhousie, Laurier, Lakehead, Windsor, and Memorial, still thinking about U of T and UBC. 

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Why don't you apply to both BSW and MSW?

That way if you don't get into MSW, you still can get your degree in SW. You can work in Canada with a BSW, and eventually, continue to your MSW. From a post-degree BSW to an MSW is 3 years, versus the 2 years of MSW for non-BSW students. Not much of a big difference, and you also get to have more of a foundation and more hours in practicums. 

On 8/5/2021 at 5:43 PM, dani973 said:

Thank you for creating this! I am very excited to start this process but also nervous as I have been out of the academia world for 5 years now and am a bit overwhelmed! 

I really appreciate the post made by @FrostyMoon as I have been struggling to narrow down which schools I would like to apply to. I am currently a teacher, but am currently really interested in education and care around death and dying and am hoping to focus in on that during my program. The big question is around picking a program that will leave me with a wide range of options  as I don't want to pigeon hole myself.

How are you all going about deciding which schools to apply for?

Also have been really trying to figure out if my teaching experience will count toward the social work experience. I really believe that it should as teaching is so much more than just instruction, but I am nervous it wont be seen that way. Has anyone had any experience with this? 

I also really appreciate the listing by @FrostyMoon - what an incredible piece of work! I went through a similar process of obsessively looking into all the programs and courses offered across the country, it took a lot of time but was helpful in the end. Some other things I've found helpful: reaching out to advisors at the schools to ask specific questions; attending info sessions (I just went to an info webinar for U of C yesterday that was specifically focused on the application process and it was great); speaking with current/former students and faculty of programs I was interested in. 

@dani973 - Laurier has a specific course on death, dying and bereavement (also offered for the online program). I hear you about not wanting to pigeon hole as well because there are so many areas of social work that sound interesting. With regards to having teaching experience, I think that can be an amazing background. During the U of C application webinar, people were specifically asking about what counted as "relevant work experience" and they were extremely open about it and basically said it is up to you to explain how it is relevant. Someone even asked if being a stay at home parent could be included as relevant work and they said absolutely! It might depend on each school but I was really impressed with how U of C approaches it.

On 9/5/2021 at 6:07 PM, HopeisthewaytoCope said:

Hey There!

I am in the same boat as you in terms of level of experience and education. I'm curios to know which schools you're applying to?

Hey there! It might be worth checking with the schools you are interested in which courses they count towards the GPA calculation. I know U of C only counts the last few years of courses or your BSW (if you have one) and not everything you've ever taken so a few lower grades a long time ago might not factor in.

19 hours ago, MSW2022 said:

This week is the 3 month mark for my MSWwp application at Windsor for the Jan 2022 start. Peel campus, non BSW.

I know some others here are still waiting to hear. 
Has anyone else heard back in the last couple months? 

I applied to Laurier for January 2022 start and was told we would hear back in September. No date, just the month... The waiting is so hard! It's difficult to make plans moving forward without knowing one way or another! If I had a definitive date, it would make it easier to let my employer know my availability come January!

Good luck to everyone!!!

4 hours ago, EmmaNeedleman said:

I applied to Laurier for January 2022 start and was told we would hear back in September. No date, just the month... The waiting is so hard! It's difficult to make plans moving forward without knowing one way or another! If I had a definitive date, it would make it easier to let my employer know my availability come January!

Good luck to everyone!!!

I applied to that one too! It's so competitive though I kind of wrote it off lol. Hopefully they're on schedule though and we hear back this month!

Hey everyone!

I know MSW applications open up in the next month or so and I'm thinking to send out an email to professors soon about reference letters. Does anyone have any advice on how to reach out (ex. email template) or what to include in the email to give them a heads up in advance before the portals open?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

On 9/16/2021 at 9:34 PM, MSW2022MM said:

I also really appreciate the listing by @FrostyMoon - what an incredible piece of work! I went through a similar process of obsessively looking into all the programs and courses offered across the country, it took a lot of time but was helpful in the end. Some other things I've found helpful: reaching out to advisors at the schools to ask specific questions; attending info sessions (I just went to an info webinar for U of C yesterday that was specifically focused on the application process and it was great); speaking with current/former students and faculty of programs I was interested in. 

@dani973 - Laurier has a specific course on death, dying and bereavement (also offered for the online program). I hear you about not wanting to pigeon hole as well because there are so many areas of social work that sound interesting. With regards to having teaching experience, I think that can be an amazing background. During the U of C application webinar, people were specifically asking about what counted as "relevant work experience" and they were extremely open about it and basically said it is up to you to explain how it is relevant. Someone even asked if being a stay at home parent could be included as relevant work and they said absolutely! It might depend on each school but I was really impressed with how U of C approaches it.

It's nice to hear you did the same! I think I have it narrowed down to a few schools- decided it is important I pick based on faculty who may be able to support my areas of interest over choosing a school in a city I want to move to. Seems obvious when I write it, but it was a tough decision! 

I also found the info sessions helpful, Laurier actually did a Q&A which was very cool. Which schools will you be applying to? Have you begun your applications?

On 9/18/2021 at 1:13 PM, dani973 said:

It's nice to hear you did the same! I think I have it narrowed down to a few schools- decided it is important I pick based on faculty who may be able to support my areas of interest over choosing a school in a city I want to move to. Seems obvious when I write it, but it was a tough decision! 

I also found the info sessions helpful, Laurier actually did a Q&A which was very cool. Which schools will you be applying to? Have you begun your applications?

On 9/17/2021 at 10:33 AM, MSW2022 said:

I applied to that one too! It's so competitive though I kind of wrote it off lol. Hopefully they're on schedule though and we hear back this month!

I just heard back from Laurier on Friday an unfortunately I did not get in :( I am thinking of re-applying but unsure how to strengthen my application as I am already above the minimum qualifications they ask for in terms of GPA and hours worked (I have 6 years direct social work experience). It's tough not knowing what they were looking for an not being able to get specific feedback on your application (although I understand there is no way they could do this with the number of applications they receive).

Hey folks - I'm looking for technical support because I think I'm mixing up how to reply directly to a post so it shows in a thread, rather than a new post. I don't want to make the forum messy and I don't think I'm replying to people's questions right! Is there a way to reply directly to someone so it stays in the same thread? The only way I've been able to find is to click "quote" at the end of someone's post but that seems to create a new post rather than a thread. Help please!

3 hours ago, MSW2022MM said:

I just heard back from Laurier on Friday an unfortunately I did not get in :( I am thinking of re-applying but unsure how to strengthen my application as I am already above the minimum qualifications they ask for in terms of GPA and hours worked (I have 6 years direct social work experience). It's tough not knowing what they were looking for an not being able to get specific feedback on your application (although I understand there is no way they could do this with the number of applications they receive).

Ugh I'm so sorry to hear that! You sound like an ideal applicant.

I'm not an expert at all but I've read through as many previous years of this forum as I could find lol and Laurer's online program for non-BSW applicants is definitely the most competitive program. I believe the average work exp is 10 years. In my opinion there's nothing you can do about GPA and hours (except possibly volunteer or join a board of directors if you have capacity) so I'd get as many people as possible to read your personal statement and take time to edit that.

Good luck in your future applications! MSW's in Canada are super competitive so don't at all be discouraged.

On 9/17/2021 at 11:00 AM, EmmaNeedleman said:

Good luck to everyone!!!

Did you hear back? I received an e-mail last night advising I was waitlisted for the program. I'm not sure how often people actually get admitted off the waitlist, or even how many people are placed on the waitlist. 

50 minutes ago, MSW709 said:

Did you hear back? I received an e-mail last night advising I was waitlisted for the program. I'm not sure how often people actually get admitted off the waitlist, or even how many people are placed on the waitlist. 

I got an email yesterday afternoon, also offering me a position on the waitlist. More waiting! 

Hi Folks!

I applied to UofT and got waitlisted in April 2021 and did not get a spot unfortunately, this was my first time applying to an MSW program so I am pretty proud of myself for going through the process.. I also applied to Yorkville for the MACP program and got accepted but after much consideration/research I want to stick with an MSW (also who wants to pay $36k for an online program LOL). I am going in with more experience volunteering this year as well as working as a server at a cafe in Toronto (been in school for so long and I need a break). I plan to reapply to UofT then apply to Carelton, and UBC Okanagan all for the 2 year MSW programs. I've already gotten started on my personal statements/forming a base for what I want to submit. My background is in applied behaviour analysis (four years honours degree) I have about a 90 average and have experience working with folks with autism, and volunteering through a couple organizations to support folks with eating disorders. 

Looking forward to meeting others through this process :)

Edited by teaandSW21
spelling error

1 hour ago, teaandSW21 said:

Hi Folks!

I applied to UofT and got waitlisted in April 2021 and did not get a spot unfortunately, this was my first time applying to an MSW program so I am pretty proud of myself for going through the process.. I also applied to Yorkville for the MACP program and got accepted but after much consideration/research I want to stick with an MSW (also who wants to pay $36k for an online program LOL). I am going in with more experience volunteering this year as well as working as a server at a cafe in Toronto (been in school for so long and I need a break). I plan to reapply to UofT then apply to Carelton, and UBC Okanagan all for the 2 year MSW programs. I've already gotten started on my personal statements/forming a base for what I want to submit. My background is in applied behaviour analysis (four years honours degree) I have about a 90 average and have experience working with folks with autism, and volunteering through a couple organizations to support folks with eating disorders. 

Looking forward to meeting others through this process :)

Hey! Just wanted to say that we have the same background in ABA. If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about your hours and how your experiences fit in with social work? How do you feel about these personal statements so far? :)

I heard back this week from both Laurier (rejected, not surprised) and Windsor wp (waitlisted) for Jan 2022 start. Pretty disappointed but I just started a new position and it's in public sector so I'm happy to ride that out for a while haha.

I had 9000 hours of experience, what I thought was a very strong personal statement (who knows though), and a 3.3 GPA in my last 2 years. I feel my GPA is my weak point but there's not much I can do about that.

I've seen people ask this question in the past, but do you think there are any schools that are less competitive? I applied for the 2-year MSW at UofT was wait-listed and ultimately didn't get in. Starting applications again, but not feeling as confident or enthusiastic as last year tbh. 

7 hours ago, ktr said:

I've seen people ask this question in the past, but do you think there are any schools that are less competitive? I applied for the 2-year MSW at UofT was wait-listed and ultimately didn't get in. Starting applications again, but not feeling as confident or enthusiastic as last year tbh. 

Hey! I actually had the same question in mind. I feel like Ontario uni's offering 2 year msw programs are all generally very competitive. I applied to laurier last year and got waitlisted. Planning to apply again but im also not too confident. The feedback from them was very general like stronger references and  well written statements are important. Really hoping we can get an answer to your question. But also comforting to know i'm not the only one feeling this way.

Hey Everyone,

First of all, I just want to express how grateful I am for this forum and to everyone on it. I'm so glad to have found a way to connect with people that isn't on FB. The supportive messages and helpful tips really mean a lot going through this stressful experience and knowing I am not alone.

For those who have been waitlisted (or accepted) for Laurier's online program, would you mind sharing a bit about your background (years of experience, type of experience, GPA)? I am curious to try and figure out what it is they are looking for and what can make the difference between a successful and unsuccessful application as I work to re-apply. For me, I have worked in the same job for the last 6 years (since graduating with my BSW) as a frontline outreach worker and for the last two years I have also been the program coordinator. Academically, I have a 90-95% GPA average (I'm not sure how to translate that into a 4.3 scale) across all my education. Along with my BSW, I have a certificate in Criminology, a Certificate in ASL and Deaf Studies, and a B.A. (Hon) in Human Rights with a Minor in Law. 

Congratulations to those who made it in and even made it on the waitlist - that is quite an accomplishment and I wish you all the best!

7 hours ago, MSW2022MM said:

Hey Everyone,

First of all, I just want to express how grateful I am for this forum and to everyone on it. I'm so glad to have found a way to connect with people that isn't on FB. The supportive messages and helpful tips really mean a lot going through this stressful experience and knowing I am not alone.

For those who have been waitlisted (or accepted) for Laurier's online program, would you mind sharing a bit about your background (years of experience, type of experience, GPA)? I am curious to try and figure out what it is they are looking for and what can make the difference between a successful and unsuccessful application as I work to re-apply. For me, I have worked in the same job for the last 6 years (since graduating with my BSW) as a frontline outreach worker and for the last two years I have also been the program coordinator. Academically, I have a 90-95% GPA average (I'm not sure how to translate that into a 4.3 scale) across all my education. Along with my BSW, I have a certificate in Criminology, a Certificate in ASL and Deaf Studies, and a B.A. (Hon) in Human Rights with a Minor in Law. 

Congratulations to those who made it in and even made it on the waitlist - that is quite an accomplishment and I wish you all the best!

Hi! I was waitlisted this year for WLU advanced standing (for the January 2022 start). At the time of applying, I had about 9000 hours of experience (roughly 3 yrs working & 2 yrs volunteering) and a 3.9 GPA (on a scale of 4.0 - about a 85 average). I started my social work career working frontline outreach with transient/homeless youth, I moved on to work with the health authority working with seniors and individuals with disabilities doing assessments for home supports and long term care, and for the last two + years I have worked with the provincial government reviewing policies to ensure they are fair and equitable and writing investigative reports for individuals who feel they have been treated unfairly by a government body. I have volunteered for almost 3 years doing walks in the downtown core providing meals / personal care and safe supplies to individuals, and also volunteer on a harm reduction van distributing safe supplies. However, due to COVID, a lot of my volunteering hours were impacted as most volunteering was halted as a result of the pandemic. I also have volunteer experience working with new Canadian children (emigrant, immigrant, refugee). I'm not sure if they take this into consideration, but I have also published an article in a peer-reviewed journal. I know someone who was accepted for the September 2021 start, and she has 20+ years experience, primarily doing case-management with marginalized individuals, as well as relief work at both homeless shelters and transitional housing for families fleeing IPV, but recently started working with child protection. It is certainly a discouraging feeling not being accepted, however, I just feel as though it means the timing and/or program is not right. Don't undervalue your expertise, experience and intelligence. Every social workers journey is unique. I was on my universities' BSW admissions committee while I completed my degree and can appreciate first-hand how difficult it is to 'rate' applicants. When it's meant to happen, it will. All the best as we continue on this journey! ?

Edited by MSW709

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone could give me advice. I graduated with a BA honours degree in Psychology from India and want to pursue MSW. However I have no work experience and it's unlikely i would get into msw in canada.. is doing a post degree bsw worth it? I am confused whether i should do a masters in the UK or a bsw from canada :( It's easier to settle in Canada but i am worried about not finding employment with just bsw?