MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

On 9/22/2021 at 2:15 PM, ktr said:

I've seen people ask this question in the past, but do you think there are any schools that are less competitive? I applied for the 2-year MSW at UofT was wait-listed and ultimately didn't get in. Starting applications again, but not feeling as confident or enthusiastic as last year tbh. 

I feel you SO hard on this- I got waitlisted and didn't hear back either in time for UofT.. but honestly i'd highly suggest reapplying- some people give up and never reapply but I think they're looking for people who reapply and say what changed. I think UofT is so competitive because it's very clinical, has some of the best places and is globally ranked so highly. For less competitive options i'd probably look into western (kings), & Carelton. 

On 9/23/2021 at 8:52 AM, cookie_c07 said:

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone could give me advice. I graduated with a BA honours degree in Psychology from India and want to pursue MSW. However I have no work experience and it's unlikely i would get into msw in canada.. is doing a post degree bsw worth it? I am confused whether i should do a masters in the UK or a bsw from canada :( It's easier to settle in Canada but i am worried about not finding employment with just bsw? 

I think a lot of places value lived experience in SW as well as volunteering.. volunteering for a crisis line could be a good start as I know finding employment can be difficult and a longer process. I would start volunteering in any place you can to get those hours :)

On 9/21/2021 at 7:10 PM, priawet said:

Hey! Just wanted to say that we have the same background in ABA. If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about your hours and how your experiences fit in with social work? How do you feel about these personal statements so far? :)

I feel good about my hours- even my FT server job at a cafe counts as social work experience and this experience shouldn't' be discounted. .ABA experience has helped my hours quite a bit as I have done many placements in my degree as well as worked as an instructor therapist for 8 months.. I now volunteer with folks with eating disorders on an online chat and have co facilitated some support groups for teens :)  for sure takes time to get those hours i've been volunteering in the SW world so to speak for 7 months or so now. As for my personal statement I feel good about this too since I can take a bit of what I had written for UofT, I have more experience now and I am also speaking about my lived experience with mental health/working with people with disabilities. Honestly the hardest part is just keeping up with the limited word count they give us haha :)

Hey all, 

I figured I would post to give you guys some insight on the application process. I applied in 2021 and was accepted to several programs. These kinds of posts really helped me during my application process so I figured I'd write out some info to hopefully be helpful to you guys. :)

Some stats: 
-GPA in last 2 years: 3.9 of 4.0, mid B in research methods (Psych & Gender Studies)
-2050 hrs (1yr FT) work at a non profit in a 3rd world country (where I'm from)
-200 hrs event planning for intl. students at WesternU International
-500 hrs research work in a lab at uni + honours thesis experience
-700 hrs volunteer work at an elementary school

Results (in order of response from the uni):
-Western: accepted
-Windsor: accepted
-Laurier: accepted
-UofT: waitlisted 
-York: accepted

Advice:
-really think about every experience you have and how you can shape that into your application. be creative to think about what non-conventional experience can be shaped to show your range of experience. if you feel you are lacking in any area of the app, feel free to write about why in any section that allows you to elaborate. Several applications have a section that ask: Is there anything else you want us to know?
-make sure you are centred in social justice, how you position yourself and how your experiences have shaped you to this point where you are now applying to the msw program and what you hope to do with it in the future.

Good luck!! Don't get overwhelmed or discouraged about what you have/don't have on the app! Everything can be shaped positively through what you write about it. It's a tough process but hopefully will pay off. All the best!

hi everyone! I think that I have finally narrowed down the schools that I am going to apply to.

After much consideration I have decided to apply to Laurier, King's and McMaster, as I would like to consider a thesis option as well as the practicum based ones. 

Any and all advice is welcome for applying to these schools.

TYIA,

T

Hi everyone! 

I'm freaking out about my personal statements/ personal essays. I'm overwhelmed with ideas and I'm such a perfectionist I'm just.. having trouble committing to one set of ideas. Any advice on how to how to break past that wall!?

I'm actually really good at writing untraditional essays but reallllllly bad/ inefficient at committing to one idea. But: if anyone wants to do a brainstorming session I would LOVE that! One if my biggest skills is helping other people say exactly what they want to say!!!

I'm for sure applying to U of T, York, Windsor, Laurier, and Western + maybe one more in a non-Ontario city. Applications to U of T with a 4.3, Laurier with a 4.0, only a B+ for most other schools. My research methods course is finished in April. I've 4,000 hours + really strong academic and professional references. Still, looking at past years, I don't know if that's good enough and I'm freaking out! 

On 9/18/2021 at 12:33 AM, MW29 said:

Hey everyone!

I know MSW applications open up in the next month or so and I'm thinking to send out an email to professors soon about reference letters. Does anyone have any advice on how to reach out (ex. email template) or what to include in the email to give them a heads up in advance before the portals open?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

@MSW29 if you still haven't I would just say: don't overthink it! If you have a strong relationship with a professor, just reach out, and trust that they'll reach back. Also: maybe include some stuff about how much you enjoyed their class & also their specific teaching style. I don't think what the wording of the email will have much of an affect on if they'd agree to being a reference, it's more so based on the impression of you that they've already formed. If they have office hours though, it would be a good idea to book some time, to maybe show extra dedication!? 

1 minute ago, ShaDiMSW2022 said:

@MSW29 if you still haven't I would just say: don't overthink it! If you have a strong relationship with a professor, just reach out, and trust that they'll reach back. Also: maybe include some stuff about how much you enjoyed their class & also their specific teaching style. I don't think what the wording of the email will have much of an affect on if they'd agree to being a reference, it's more so based on the impression of you that they've already formed. If they have office hours though, it would be a good idea to book some time, to maybe show extra dedication!? 

Thanks for replying! I did just ended up emailing a few of my professors and got some who accepted! Just have to work on my letter of intent now, so gotta look into that next ☺️

1 minute ago, MW29 said:

Thanks for replying! I did just ended up emailing a few of my professors and got some who accepted! Just have to work on my letter of intent now, so gotta look into that next ☺️

Same! There's so much pressure around getting that right. I was speaking to the head of admission at U of T yesterday who was telling me all about people who blew their chances because their personal essays weren't focused enough despite competitive grades and volunteer hours. 

Just now, ShaDiMSW2022 said:

Same! There's so much pressure around getting that right. I was speaking to the head of admission at U of T yesterday who was telling me all about people who blew their chances because their personal essays weren't focused enough despite competitive grades and volunteer hours. 

Oh no..that sounds nerve wracking! Do you have any good resources for crafting a strong letter of intent? I'm curious what they're looking for in the personal essays..?

Just now, MW29 said:

Oh no..that sounds nerve wracking! Do you have any good resources for crafting a strong letter of intent? I'm curious what they're looking for in the personal essays..?

I'm honestly in the process of looking! If you know of any LMK. Feel free to PM ?

On 10/6/2021 at 2:00 PM, emessuu said:

Hey all,

I figured I would post to give you guys some insight on the application process. I applied in 2021 and was accepted to several programs. These kinds of posts really helped me during my application process so I figured I'd write out some info to hopefully be helpful to you guys. :)

Some stats: 
-GPA in last 2 years: 3.9 of 4.0, mid B in research methods (Psych & Gender Studies)
-2050 hrs (1yr FT) work at a non profit in a 3rd world country (where I'm from)
-200 hrs event planning for intl. students at WesternU International
-500 hrs research work in a lab at uni + honours thesis experience
-700 hrs volunteer work at an elementary school

Results (in order of response from the uni):
-Western: accepted
-Windsor: accepted
-Laurier: accepted
-UofT: waitlisted 
-York: accepted

Advice:
-really think about every experience you have and how you can shape that into your application. be creative to think about what non-conventional experience can be shaped to show your range of experience. if you feel you are lacking in any area of the app, feel free to write about why in any section that allows you to elaborate. Several applications have a section that ask: Is there anything else you want us to know?
-make sure you are centred in social justice, how you position yourself and how your experiences have shaped you to this point where you are now applying to the msw program and what you hope to do with it in the future.

Good luck!! Don't get overwhelmed or discouraged about what you have/don't have on the app! Everything can be shaped positively through what you write about it. It's a tough process but hopefully will pay off. All the best!

Thank you so much for posting this! it is reassuring to hear that you've been through this, and it is interesting to hear how you framed your experiences! I will focus on reframing my experiences! I'm curious, how detailed of an explanation did you go into when they ask "how do you hope to use your education in the future"? 

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to apply to the advanced standing program at UofT after being waitlisted for the 2 year program last year. I am currently in the process of completing my BSW.

I noticed the advanced standing program has the option of full-time and part-time studies. Does anyone know what exactly this would look like? If I were to select part-time, I understand the 1 year program would be spread over 2 years but would that give me the flexibility to work alongside completing the program?

If anyone has any insight, that'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :D 

On 10/8/2021 at 2:13 PM, ShaDiMSW2022 said:

Do you know what they mean by being focused enough, i feel like its super tough with the word limit?? ?

On 10/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, ShaDiMSW2022 said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm freaking out about my personal statements/ personal essays. I'm overwhelmed with ideas and I'm such a perfectionist I'm just.. having trouble committing to one set of ideas. Any advice on how to how to break past that wall!?

I'm actually really good at writing untraditional essays but reallllllly bad/ inefficient at committing to one idea. But: if anyone wants to do a brainstorming session I would LOVE that! One if my biggest skills is helping other people say exactly what they want to say!!!

I'm for sure applying to U of T, York, Windsor, Laurier, and Western + maybe one more in a non-Ontario city. Applications to U of T with a 4.3, Laurier with a 4.0, only a B+ for most other schools. My research methods course is finished in April. I've 4,000 hours + really strong academic and professional references. Still, looking at past years, I don't know if that's good enough and I'm freaking out! 

hey you seem like you have a really strong application :) I would suggest getting multiple perspectives on your statement, sometimes it helps having other people assist with making sure you are answering the questions without rambling at least that's what helped me previously.. 

22 hours ago, HopeisthewaytoCope said:

Do you know what they mean by being focused enough, i feel like its super tough with the word limit?? ?

Each question asks some big personal things. Make sure your answer addresses the questions asked, while still obviously shaping the larger story of who you are, and why you want to get into that specific MSW program. 

The questions are really all: Tell us your life story, why you matter, what you can do to better the world through academia, while also keeping it to under [insert short word limit here]. No pressure! ?

On 10/8/2021 at 3:59 PM, SL277709 said:

Thank you so much for posting this! it is reassuring to hear that you've been through this, and it is interesting to hear how you framed your experiences! I will focus on reframing my experiences! I'm curious, how detailed of an explanation did you go into when they ask "how do you hope to use your education in the future"? 

No worries! ? What i did was connect that question to what I had previously written in the application to show how my future plans connect to my past education, interests, and experiences. I had some idea of what I wanted to do with the degree but since its the 2 yr program, theres still so much that we don't know about the specifics about the field. So i was a bit generic in alluding to what I wanted to do without being super specific and constrained about it (so - not too much detail due to word limits tbh). Also, i would suggest briefly mentioning research/research interests for programs that have somewhat of a research focus (eg. york, laurier) 

Hey! I'm currently working on completing my application to Laurier, and am wondering how folks went about filling out their Experience Profile... How did you "give evidence of your skillsets, self awareness, and knowledge that you possess that prepares you for the MSW program"? I guess I's stuck on how to further talk myself up, I did that pretty well (I hope), in my statement of interest and resume... 

This might be a dumb question, but if application instructions clearly state that you must “address all questions in an essay format,” do you think I should use headings which would be the questions, or should I not put the questions and just write an essay and ensure that all the questions are answered in that essay. Thanks for any info you can provide!

18 hours ago, ChipDip said:

This might be a dumb question, but if application instructions clearly state that you must “address all questions in an essay format,” do you think I should use headings which would be the questions, or should I not put the questions and just write an essay and ensure that all the questions are answered in that essay. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Hey! I would go for the second option, where you just right the essay without any headings. Since the instructions say write an essay. This way there's a flow to writing as well. I know how difficult it can be to address the question all in one essay, because someone topics vary. But that's what I'm doing.

22 hours ago, SL277709 said:

Hey! I'm currently working on completing my application to Laurier, and am wondering how folks went about filling out their Experience Profile... How did you "give evidence of your skillsets, self awareness, and knowledge that you possess that prepares you for the MSW program"? I guess I's stuck on how to further talk myself up, I did that pretty well (I hope), in my statement of interest and resume... 

I think they suggest that you provide examples from your work or experiences that specifically showcase those skills and how they prepare you for grad school. A resume would be describing what you did, versus in the Experience Profile Form, you can add examples of what you did that show those skills and how they prepare you. So kinda like provide more detail on those areas in specific. That is what I plan to do.

Hi everyone!  I just want to extend an invitation to anyone who has any questions about the MSW program at U of T  - especially the application process. I am currently in my first year of the program after applying last year and am super happy in answering questions people may have.

Hi Folks! 

I'm applying to the Western U (kings) MSW 2-Year program and the BSW post-degree at Dalhousie U. I'm only applying to these two schools right now, and if I'm not accepted to either I'm going to take a year off to work more in the field or start a Master in Interdisciplinary Studies at my current school before re-applying down the road. 

I was told that I'm a competitive applicant at Kings according to their Social Work Programs Liaison after reviewing my transcript and experience, I can only hope that means I'll be a strong applicant with Dal as well. My CGPA is only 3.2 due to some personal reasons in my first two years, but that has been recorded through my university and my worst grades were suppressed. However, these two schools only look at your last 60 credits, which makes my GPA 4.0 on their evaluation scale since I've got nothing but mostly A's the last three years (I'm doing a 5th year). 

Some stats about me: 

• 60 credit GPA is 4.0 
  • A little over 3000 hours of experience, around 1400 is paid social services work, the rest is through volunteering in the area's of harm reduction, suicide prevention, SDH research, health events, etc. 
  • I have a lot of personal experiences that are relevant to the social work field (substance abuse in my immediate family, PTSD diagnosed) and many more that will help my personal statement be less textbook style. 

I hope to chat more with 2022 applicants, best of luck everyone!