MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

Now on my third business day of my status for Carleton being "review by graduate faculty...". The wait is killing me and looking at previous years it seems that once it changed to this they found out within 24 hours. I have decided I am no longer going to keep checking as I can't concentrate on my work ?

21 minutes ago, natt97 said:

Now on my third business day of my status for Carleton being "review by graduate faculty...". The wait is killing me and looking at previous years it seems that once it changed to this they found out within 24 hours. I have decided I am no longer going to keep checking as I can't concentrate on my work ?

don't worry it's coming soon!! I got my email at 3:19pm!! my fingers are crossed for you ❤️ 

4 hours ago, PeanutbutterClouds said:

Thank you! ?? 

Ad check Ramms, mine was updated today and I was able to accept their offer! Also I was told I had 10 days to accept? And that to just accept and not pay a deposit to hold my spot in case I was waiting to hear from another school. 

where on Ramss does it update?

On 2/25/2022 at 6:07 PM, Siikun said:

I had actually applied to other programs at Carleton (MA in policy, etc) but chose social work because it was the most competitive and gave the best funding package. Also, I am a macro/policy girl, and Ottawa is the place to be for that type of work (paid placements in the federal government are clutch). As I was not graduating my BSW until August from Carleton, other schools would not accept my application for 2021/22; Carleton was the only school I could apply to at the time :).

Oh so cool! It sounds like you made the best decision to me ;) I am really going to give consideration to Carleton, I just put together a spreadsheet today to lay out the costs for school and the Carleton's funding package is tempting... Can I ask what your cohort was like? Pretty diverse in terms of people's interests? 

On 2/24/2022 at 8:14 PM, Siikun said:

Mine went to “in review by department” (or something along those lines) to “in review by faculty of grad/post grad” and shifted to an acceptance the next day. My understanding is it shifts to “in review by faculty of grad/post grad” last as they have to sign off on funding packages. However, it might be a different process for one year vs. Two year. 
Congrats to all who have gotten in! If you have any questions about what the one year program is like/ course reccos/ want to see a syllabus or something hit me up. I’m getting ready to graduate soon already :). 

Hey! I just got accepted into Carleton's 1 year MSW program and was wondering if you would share course reccos with me and let me know kind of what the program is like! I am excited but would definitely be anxious to hear about the course formats and breakdowns. 

Just heard back from UofT for the MSW Indigenous Trauma and Resiliency program, didn't get in. Curious if anyone else on here applied to this stream? I was very grateful to have gotten an interview but definitely felt very nervous during and I don't think was able to put my best foot forward as I wanted to.. 

10 minutes ago, EMWC said:

Just heard back from UofT for the MSW Indigenous Trauma and Resiliency program, didn't get in. Curious if anyone else on here applied to this stream? I was very grateful to have gotten an interview but definitely felt very nervous during and I don't think was able to put my best foot forward as I wanted to.. 

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get in but I've seen you've gotten a couple of other acceptances so you're clearly a very strong candidate who's going to become a really great Social worker! :)

I applied to UofT but the non-ITR stream. Did you receive a personalized email from the department or was it an update to the portal that informed you? 

7 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get in but I've seen you've gotten a couple of other acceptances so you're clearly a very strong candidate who's going to become a really great Social worker! :)

I applied to UofT but the non-ITR stream. Did you receive a personalized email from the department or was it an update to the portal that informed you? 

You are sweet, thank you for that ❤️ Do you ever worry about looking good on paper but then in real life are disappointing? This is my anxious state right now!

The result came as an email with redirected me to the portal where there was a yellow banner that said an update had been made to your application - when I clicked that there was the PDF letter available on another page. I know the ITR stream releases results much quicker then the regular MSW - but good news I guess is that my status never seemed to change in the portal, still says "submitted". So might not change before results are released for the MSW.

30 minutes ago, nocoffee said:

Just tried to log in my UofT acorn account but it shows page not found...

My acorn page shows the same.  I think it will be a while until we hear back from UoT

20 hours ago, mskiwi said:

I GOT INTO CARLETON!!! I got my email at 3:17pm.

Good luck to everyone still waiting! I believe in you all 

Congratulations!! What a good feeling! :)

18 hours ago, EMWC said:

Oh so cool! It sounds like you made the best decision to me ;) I am really going to give consideration to Carleton, I just put together a spreadsheet today to lay out the costs for school and the Carleton's funding package is tempting... Can I ask what your cohort was like? Pretty diverse in terms of people's interests? 

I'd say it was quite diverse re: interests, and I learned a lot especially in the first weeks. As my BSW was also at Carleton, much of how I structured my practice was 'structural' (something the university is known for); in the MSW, there is more branching of frameworks and students brought in other pieces like narrative that I had never utilized. Made for some interesting discussions! 

I'd say our cohort.... struggled. The pandemic has wrecked havoc on students and profs alike, and attitudes perhaps flashed and flared - this term has been much calmer after discussion and advocacy on the students part. However with strong people come strong opinions, and it wasn't navigated great, but we've come out on the other side thankfully.

16 hours ago, mskiwi said:

Hey! I just got accepted into Carleton's 1 year MSW program and was wondering if you would share course reccos with me and let me know kind of what the program is like! I am excited but would definitely be anxious to hear about the course formats and breakdowns. 

Hey! I can definitely do that, but I have self streamlined into community/research/policy so I cannot give the best micro reccos if that's your thing- though I will happily message you profs I enjoyed/perhaps did not enjoy as I had many of them in my BSW as well. 

27 minutes ago, EMWC said:

You are sweet, thank you for that ❤️ Do you ever worry about looking good on paper but then in real life are disappointing? This is my anxious state right now!

The result came as an email with redirected me to the portal where there was a yellow banner that said an update had been made to your application - when I clicked that there was the PDF letter available on another page. I know the ITR stream releases results much quicker then the regular MSW - but good news I guess is that my status never seemed to change in the portal, still says "submitted". So might not change before results are released for the MSW.

Yes, it's so hard not to feel like you have imposter syndrome. And no matter how much good news we hear (e.g., acceptance offers), receiving a rejection will always stand out more and feel like it reaffirms our "imposter" feeling. But I just try to remember that with limited spots available, there are always going to be well qualified and deserving candidates who unfortunately won't get accepted and try not to take it so personal. 

And thanks for letting me know about the portal! Helpful to know that yours still says "Submitted" as it likely means I can stop signing in to check every couple of hours ?