MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

4 minutes ago, cozycozyMSW said:

Also, where on acorn are people accepted to U of T seeing the update?

it would be immediately when you log on, on the right side of the screen you would see the deposit and the 'invite' would be on the left. fingers crossed for you!

Hey friends, congratulations to everyone who has gotten in to their programs so far. Good luck to everyone waiting! Does anyone know if UofT sends official acceptances in the mail? Also, if you see you've been invited on Acorn, do folks know how soon you officially get an email of your acceptance? Thank you :).

4 minutes ago, gradnotsad said:

Hey friends, congratulations to everyone who has gotten in to their programs so far. Good luck to everyone waiting! Does anyone know if UofT sends official acceptances in the mail? Also, if you see you've been invited on Acorn, do folks know how soon you officially get an email of your acceptance? Thank you :).

To my knowledge you will receive your official update by email (the email you applied with) and it will tell you to check the SGS portal. The portal will contain your result and letter. 

Edited by never stop dreaming

If nothing has changed in Acorn at this point for us with A-K initials, is it likely that we haven't been accepted? Does UofT release acceptances alphabetically? 

1 hour ago, lexiesanxious said:

I think a lot of us who applied to UofT are loosing a lot of hope in our applications. This is my second time applying after being wait listed last year and I am just getting sad and hopeless at this point. You think your applications is so good until this point when you start questioning everything. 

Try not to worry yet as hard as that is. They don’t seem to be alphabetical this year. I was also waitlisted last year and just got in an hour ago. I hope you hear soon!

1 hour ago, lexiesanxious said:

I think a lot of us who applied to UofT are loosing a lot of hope in our applications. This is my second time applying after being wait listed last year and I am just getting sad and hopeless at this point. You think your applications is so good until this point when you start questioning everything. 

Aw I feel you my dude! It's hard not to get down on yourself when it comes down to the wire.. I had a follow up interview with an administrator from the MSW-ITR program at UofT and she let me know that acceptance can vary so much year to year depending on who is applying and it doesn't often have to do with your eligibility for the program. I still got rejected but I guess it stings a little less when someone tells you you're still worthy (in theory) ?

1 hour ago, MSWfingerscrossed said:

It's totally understandable. Keep faith though, there's still time to hear good news. For anyone applying to UoT in the 2 year program, I really recommend applying to many (like, 3-4+) places next year if this year doesn't work out. With 1400 apps for 140 spots, too many qualified people don't make it. Their 1 year program is far less competitive if you are set on UoT I'd recommend a post-grad BSW. York has one if you're local. Good luck.

Last year was around 900 applications for 140 spots (according to last year's forum/rejection letters), which was unusually high! So true that so many qualified people don't make it - lots of folks in my cohort applied multiple times, or came in off the waitlist. It's hard to say what it's going to be like this year, but they typically get around 700-something, if that makes you feel better about hearing back this year.

Just now, matty16 said:

2nd time applicant here for the 2-Year UofT MSW. Going to be absolutely gutted if I get waitlisted again. Feels like I've done everything to improve my application even from last year.

I feel this deeply. I’m with you in the same boat, once you get waitlisted it seems hopeless but i know it’s not. I hope you and I both get it so we don’t have to do round three. 

9 minutes ago, ChipDip said:

I totally feel you…I don’t know how else I could have improved honestly…it’s very defeating 

This was my 4th round of applications and I was prepared to quit applying for social work if I didn't get in this year. I cried last year when I got waitlisted from UofT for the 3rd time. 

Speaking from personal experience, if this is your dream, please don't give up. If you want to hear my experience let me know. 

11 minutes ago, matty16 said:

2nd time applicant here for the 2-Year UofT MSW. Going to be absolutely gutted if I get waitlisted again. Feels like I've done everything to improve my application even from last year.

I am in the exact same position :( already have another school i've accepted but it will be a pain in the butt moving as I am living in Toronto. Fingers crossed for us both. 

4 minutes ago, DD2021 said:

This was my 4th round of applications and I was prepared to quit applying for social work if I didn't get in this year. I cried last year when I got waitlisted from UofT for the 3rd time. 

Speaking from personal experience, if this is your dream, please don't give up. If you want to hear my experience let me know. 

Thank you so much for this…I would love to hear your experiences! I wish you nothing but the best❤️

29 minutes ago, ChipDip said:

Thank you so much for this…I would love to hear your experiences! I wish you nothing but the best❤️

Thank you!

First round - I applied straight out of undergrad with some but not a lot of direct experience (research assistant and a few months on the crisis text line) and pretty marginal grades in my last 2 years (around 78%). Also my references could have been better

Second round - I applied the next year and had been working at a great lab where I got direct experience with conducting clinical assessments and psychiatric interviews. Still didn't get in so I started taking make-up courses to improve my GPA

Took a break from applications for 1 year

Third round - I had a lot of hours built up, a co-authorship on a peer reviewed paper, and great grades on my makeup courses (check my post history to see my stats last year). I even had a social worker I work with read over and edit my personal statement. I was kinda dumb and didn't realise for UofT, if you want to take makeup courses, you have to take a full 4.0 FCEs outside of your undegrad for it to count as your new GPA - I only did 4 at that point so they didn't even count into my gpa. I was very upset lol

This round - I have 4 peer reviewed publications and poster presentations, 9000+ hours with a lot of direct patient contact, completed a certificate course on Indigenous history, and had my 8 makeup courses/ 4.0 FCEs (gpa was like 3.95, 5 A+, 2 A, 1 A-), I also retook a research methods course and got an A+ (it was an A/100-level course but it was on their approved list LOL). My references were also pretty good (a distinguished mental health professional and researcher, psych professor for a course on CBT where my final mark was 90%+, and supervisor on the crisis text line). I was really determined to get in this year so I had a meeting with a professor in the department (I did a work study with them in undergrad) and they said the breakdown for admissions is like 40% GPA, 40% experience + personal statement, and 10% the research methods course. 

Also I feel like my personal statement really improved significantly this particular year. I was really candid about my personal lived experiences, picked a pretty good contemporary issue in social work, etc. 

All that to say, I was still not expecting to get into UofT this year, I expected another waitlist. This just goes to show that even if you meet all the criteria over and above, the admissions process is very finicky. 

Edited by DD2021

14 minutes ago, DD2021 said:

Thank you!

First round - I applied straight out of undergrad with some but not a lot of direct experience (research assistant and a few months on the crisis text line) and pretty marginal grades in my last 2 years (around 78%). Also my references could have been better

Second round - I applied the next year and had been working at a great lab where I got direct experience with conducting clinical assessments and psychiatric interviews. Still didn't get in so I started taking make-up courses to improve my GPA

Third round - I had a lot of hours built up, a co-authorship on a peer reviewed paper, and great grades on my makeup courses (check my post history to see my stats last year). I even had a social worker I work with read over and edit my personal statement. I was kinda dumb and didn't realise for UofT, if you want to take makeup courses, you have to take a full 4.0 FCEs outside of your undegrad for it to count as your new GPA - I only did 4 at that point so they didn't even count into my gpa. I was very upset lol

This round - I have 4 peer reviewed publications and poster presentations, 9000+ hours with a lot of direct patient contact, completed a certificate course on Indigenous history, and had my 8 makeup courses/ 4.0 FCEs (gpa was like 3.95, 5 A+, 2 A, 1 A-), I also retook a research methods course and got an A+ (it was an A/100-level course but it was on their approved list LOL). My references were also pretty good (a distinguished mental health professional and researcher, psych professor for a course on CBT where my final mark was 90%+, and supervisor on the crisis text line). I was really determined to get in this year so I had a meeting with a professor in the department (I did a work study with them in undergrad) and they said the breakdown for admissions is like 40% GPA, 40% experience + personal statement, and 10% the research methods course. 

Also I feel like my personal statement really improved significantly this particular year. I was really candid about my personal lived experiences, picked a pretty good contemporary issue in social work, etc. 

All that to say, I was still not expecting to get into UofT this year, I expected another waitlist. This just goes to show that even if you meet all the criteria over and above, the admissions process is very finicky. 

wow - you are an amazing applicant. this field is lucky to have you and so is uoft!

4 hours ago, TMSW said:

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and hang in there for those that are still waiting! I received acceptance through acorn for the 2-year UofT program, gerontology, last name M. I ONLY found out through acorn, and my sgs portal still says "submitted". 

Congratulations!!! I seem to have the "invited" status on ACORN but I somehow don't believe what I am seeing lol.....Is this the screen you saw on Acorn too? I'm in disbelief and I'm not sure I can believe this. My SGS still says "submitted" only as well so that's why I'm a bit confused

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 3.34.43 PM.png

17 minutes ago, DD2021 said:

Thank you!

This is an A++ level of perseverence! I'm so impressed! Well deserved acceptance ❤️

7 minutes ago, J12345 said:

Congratulations!!! I seem to have the "invited" status on ACORN but I somehow don't believe what I am seeing lol.....Is this the screen you saw on Acorn too? I'm in disbelief and I'm not sure I can believe this. My SGS still says "submitted" only as well so that's why I'm a bit confused

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 3.34.43 PM.png

When I first login, I'm on the "Dashboard" page. When you scroll down there's an "Academics" side, which says "invited" next to the name of the program and a "Finances" side which shows the $500. If you see the $500, then you can almost be certain it's real lol. But agree, I'm not going to feel any certainty until I receive an email or my SGS is updated and neither has happened so far.