MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

50 minutes ago, EMWC said:

Oh strange! I would call them for sure, I got an email with the acceptance a few days after getting the letter in the mail with conditional acceptance 

Mhhh… thanks for the reply and info! I just emailed them haha, and I’m planning to give them a ring tomorrow :) not sure what’s the hold up here

Hi all! I was admitted to Carleton’s 2-year MSW program and will be accepting my offer for fall 2022. I would love to hear any feedback on the program from alumni, and to connect with any new classmates!

I am also wondering what to expect in terms of school/work/life balance. I don’t expect the course load to be easy, but I would like to gage if it’s going to be possible to manage a casual PT job off-campus without compromising my academic experience. 

I also applied for the OGS and am waiting on results. Does anyone know how accepting this award would affect the funding package I was offered?  With the OGS I realize I can only work 520 hours in that year, and it may not make financial sense for me to accept the OGS if it’s going to impact the funding package I was offered in addition to work income. 

As you can tell, most of my concerns are financial right now, but I am very pleased to have been accepted :) 

Hi all,

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten in and good luck in your next applications to everyone else :)

I shared earlier in the thread that I was accepted to WLU advanced standing for May. So far I've only found two other classmates. 

If you're accepted to Laurier for May Advanced Standing, we have a fb group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/879239336103263/?ref=share_group_link

Happy to help anyone with applications! I'm super lucky as I was accepted into the first and only school I applied at (whoops).

1 hour ago, sweetpotatorollgirl said:

Hey! For those who are at looking at Dal and/ or received their snail mail with the preliminary acceptance, have you received the email to follow to confirm the acceptance or has your portal updated yet?

I received my letter in the mail on Feb. 11th but I have yet to receive an email or have my portal updated, as it still says “Written Notification to Follow.”

Feeling concerned as I’d have like to apply for a scholarship with a quickly approaching due date. I need to confirm my registration in order to apply, so I was hoping to finalize the acceptance and pay that 200 admissions deposit fee soon!

I haven't received anything further either

28 minutes ago, sweetpotatorollgirl said:

Mhhh… thanks for the reply and info! I just emailed them haha, and I’m planning to give them a ring tomorrow :) not sure what’s the hold up here

Can you update us once you hear? I'm guessing they just haven't processed our applications yet, who knows what happens behind the curtain :)

1 hour ago, tturtle said:

If anyone that went to Carleton could message me (if you feel comfortable) on how much tuition is? I have been finding conflicting info and I was just curious! Thanks so much!

Hey- I just got accepted I think it's like 15k? for the whole 2 years.. they also offer funding to all students! 

Edited by teaandSW21
to clarify

21 minutes ago, teaandSW21 said:

Hey- I just got accepted I think it's like 15k? for the whole 2 years.. they also offer funding to all students! 

Thank you!! I'm hoping it's in and around half that number for advanced standing students ?

2 hours ago, tturtle said:

If anyone that went to Carleton could message me (if you feel comfortable) on how much tuition is? I have been finding conflicting info and I was just curious! Thanks so much!

When I asked the OSAP aid estimator it came to about $8,686.00 per year (including books and fees!) 

1 hour ago, sweetpotatorollgirl said:

I would be so annoyed - i'm sorry! Are you applying to the 1-year program?  

1 hour ago, CJackson15 said:

Hi all! I was admitted to Carleton’s 2-year MSW program and will be accepting my offer for fall 2022. I would love to hear any feedback on the program from alumni, and to connect with any new classmates!

I am also wondering what to expect in terms of school/work/life balance. I don’t expect the course load to be easy, but I would like to gage if it’s going to be possible to manage a casual PT job off-campus without compromising my academic experience. 

I also applied for the OGS and am waiting on results. Does anyone know how accepting this award would affect the funding package I was offered?  With the OGS I realize I can only work 520 hours in that year, and it may not make financial sense for me to accept the OGS if it’s going to impact the funding package I was offered in addition to work income. 

As you can tell, most of my concerns are financial right now, but I am very pleased to have been accepted :) 

Curious about this as well! Just messaged Carleton about this. I JUST realized what OGS is.. good for you for applying early!

6 minutes ago, EMWC said:

When I asked the OSAP aid estimator it came to about $8,686.00 per year (including books and fees!) 

Thanks so much :)) 

2 hours ago, CJackson15 said:

I am likely going to accept my offer to the 2-year program as well! I would be very interested in getting some sort of group together so we can connect before we begin next fall :) 

3 minutes ago, stack said:

I am likely going to accept my offer to the 2-year program as well! I would be very interested in getting some sort of group together so we can connect before we begin next fall :) 

If any advanced-standing Carleton students are down to do this, let me know! :)

3 hours ago, sweetpotatorollgirl said:

Hey! For those who are at looking at Dal and/ or received their snail mail with the preliminary acceptance, have you received the email to follow to confirm the acceptance or has your portal updated yet?

I received my letter in the mail on Feb. 11th but I have yet to receive an email or have my portal updated, as it still says “Written Notification to Follow.”

Feeling concerned as I’d have like to apply for a scholarship with a quickly approaching due date. I need to confirm my registration in order to apply, so I was hoping to finalize the acceptance and pay that 200 admissions deposit fee soon!

Hi! Congratulations on getting into Dal!  I am a lurker and your post inspired me to post, because your situation is my situation right now, I received a paper letter from Dal dated February 8th, didn't receive it until February 16th, and am still waiting for my email.  I tried to call the Faculty of Graduate Studies today, but she didn't seem to understand what I was asking about and told me to contact the school of Social Work, she gave me a phone number, which I called and then received a voicemail that said I needed to email, which I haven't done yet because I was trying to convince myself to be patient.  If you are able to find better information than me, please post!  I will be in the online part-time program, so maybe that's why the delay? I will post if I find out more information.

For anyone accepted to Carleton with funding. I read that you had to accept funding separately but I don't see an option to 'accept' the entrance scholarships it just lists them a offered. Do you guys know if it automatically accepted when I accept the program offer? I just don't want to miss out on funding over a silly mistake

3 minutes ago, stack said:

For anyone accepted to Carleton with funding. I read that you had to accept funding separately but I don't see an option to 'accept' the entrance scholarships it just lists them a offered. Do you guys know if it automatically accepted when I accept the program offer? I just don't want to miss out on funding over a silly mistake

Hey- yes! So if they offer you a funding thing with a letter (separate from what they’d offer other students) when you accept it’s automatically accepted, you should be able to go in to Carleton central under your application and see some more funding options there too where you’ll see a button that says accept or decline. 

After thinking I didn't get in Carleton accepted me today into the 1 year advance with a 12,000 scholarship! I am so happy but also I live in Vancouver and really want to stay here and go to UBC. Does anyone know if Waterloo(online) or UBC offers scholarship money normally as well?

3 hours ago, green highlighter said:

Hi! Congratulations on getting into Dal!  I am a lurker and your post inspired me to post, because your situation is my situation right now, I received a paper letter from Dal dated February 8th, didn't receive it until February 16th, and am still waiting for my email.  I tried to call the Faculty of Graduate Studies today, but she didn't seem to understand what I was asking about and told me to contact the school of Social Work, she gave me a phone number, which I called and then received a voicemail that said I needed to email, which I haven't done yet because I was trying to convince myself to be patient.  If you are able to find better information than me, please post!  I will be in the online part-time program, so maybe that's why the delay? I will post if I find out more information.

Hi, congratulations on you getting in! Can I ask where are you from and what delivery company dal used for the paper letter if you don't mind? As an international applicant, I'm really anxious about the mail because it is March and I still haven't heard any news from Dal(They don't even reply to my email). And good luck with finding more informaition about your situation!

5 hours ago, FingerCrossedMSW2022 said:

Got rejected for York's 2-year program and they said they are not able to provide specific feedback about their decision

I’m sorry to hear. A lot of programs don’t provide feedback, and while they don’t have to, it’s a huge disservice to people trying to further their education. Sometimes it comes down to the applicant pool and who’s making the decisions that time around. 

5 hours ago, natt97 said:

After thinking I didn't get in Carleton accepted me today into the 1 year advance with a 12,000 scholarship! I am so happy but also I live in Vancouver and really want to stay here and go to UBC. Does anyone know if Waterloo(online) or UBC offers scholarship money normally as well?

I feel that a lot of online programs don’t offer scholarships if the expectation is that you self-fund through FT work. 

9 hours ago, stack said:

That’s what I was hoping for as well! Could start a Facebook group to keep up with one another :) 

9 hours ago, EMWC said:

Curious about this as well! Just messaged Carleton about this. I JUST realized what OGS is.. good for you for applying early!

Oh, please do let us know what they say when you hear back! I learned about OGS from applying to grad school a few years back, after not applying. The deadline is around the same time as the program application, so many prospective students miss it.  

10 hours ago, EMWC said:

Ou this is less than what I calculated when I used (or tried to...) the tuition calculator! @Siikun, is there any chance you remember what the advanced program came to tuition cost wise? :)