MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

On 3/30/2022 at 9:33 AM, jam22 said:

i haven't heard back anything yet- applied dec 3rd, references in dec 7th, got first email about application being under review jan 11th and second feb 7th. If it's rolling admission- in that they give decisions based on when people applied- i would have thought i would have heard by now...so no idea what to think...do UBCO keep a waitlist?

I think they keep a wait list but do not inform you if you are on the wait list, only if you get accepted or rejected? That is what I read from previous years anyways. I hope you hear soon!

Hey everyone! I’ve officially heard from all the schools I applied to and thought I’d share with you guys my results in order of when I heard!

Disclaimer: I applied as a full time advanced standing applicant for all the schools

• Ryerson - Waitlisted
  • UofT - Waitlisted
  • Waterloo - Rejected
  • Western (King's) - Initially waitlisted then offered admissions
  • York - Offered admissions
  • Laurier - Rejected

To those who have yet to hear or who are currently on the waitlist, do not lose hope. My personal experience and results show that just because you're rejected somewhere doesn't mean you'll be rejected everywhere, and just because you've been waitlisted doesn't mean you'll never be able to get off it. This whole process is extremely stressful and I hope you’re all taking care of yourselves. Please do not give up hope❤️

1 hour ago, Gradschoolattempt2 said:

I think they keep a wait list but do not inform you if you are on the wait list, only if you get accepted or rejected? That is what I read from previous years anyways. I hope you hear soon!

Thanks I hope so too, although I'm not really holding out hope...I totally don't understand what they mean by rolling admissions now as I haven't heard yet and it sounds like timewise I should have. 

I emailed the admins office yesterday and they said they don't a waitlist- but maybe they just don't publicize that they have one- because surely they wouldn't operate with empty spots? 

Anyway, congrats to you!

For those accepting UofT and have already uploaded their docs + paid their deposit, here is what Angela said:

" You will not receive confirmation, as the information can be viewed on your end both in ACORN for the deposit and on the online application under the application documents."

21 hours ago, Pastalini said:

Waitlisted for York (AS) too, I wonder how many people are on their list? Im on UofT's waitlist too, so much waiting! Good luck everyone! 

Hey! My friend was also waitlisted at York and she called Pip to ask how long the waitlist is and she said it’s approximately 60-70 people! 

20 hours ago, MSWapplicant1998 said:

Question for those who have heard back from UBC-O 2 year program... did anything change on your CWL account or did you just receive a letter via email? 

I got an email and on my CWL when I hit manage you can see the offer. The main part still just says submitted as my status :)

For those that were accepted to York AS, when did you receive the admission letter? I checked my file and my status changed to admitted and the option to accept/decline, however I don't have the admission letter-- does that come after?

22 hours ago, MSWapplicant1998 said:

Question for those who have heard back from UBC-O 2 year program... did anything change on your CWL account or did you just receive a letter via email? 

For me I could see the offer and my status just said submitted. When you click on manage it shows you the offer as well as the accept and decline options

1 hour ago, SWKMSW11 said:

For those that were accepted to York AS, when did you receive the admission letter? I checked my file and my status changed to admitted and the option to accept/decline, however I don't have the admission letter-- does that come after?

Congratulations ? I just got mine today and I got accepted a couple of weeks ago so it takes a little bit!! 

15 minutes ago, Mikaa said:

Congratulations ? I just got mine today and I got accepted a couple of weeks ago so it takes a little bit!! 

Thank you so much!! So I would have to accept first before they send me the decision letter (like the offer of admissions letter)? 

Hi everyone,

Casual lurker. Applied quietly into Carleton and UofT, and some other counselling psychology programs that all rejected me. I broke half way through UBCO after I got an offer at an online counselling psychology program at Yorkville. Carleton waitlisted me. No biggie. Monday came, I got notification that UofT decision has come out a week ago. I opened the website expecting more disappointment. Little did I know it was a 20 page package of admission. I was whatever…

Backstory here is I am from Surrey in BC. Not super knowledgeable about social work as a profession, kind of stumbled my way into advocacy work but I am a failed psychology major through and through. Did not know counselling psychology was a different thing than other schools of psychology. Found out after 6,000 hours of work in addictions field that I wanted to do crisis and trauma counselling. Apparently social work was the degree I should have gotten. 

So I scrambled and applied all the schools above, hoping one would take me in. I just want to be in the helping profession. Guys… I did not know UofT is the cream de la crème of social work world. 

Am I stupid to turn down UofT and stay in my province for Yorkville?

*The reason I’m even posting here is because of I’m worried reputation of schools is going to affect my ability to find clients. I have no doubt in my skills and employability. 

Edited by Jules N

5 hours ago, Jules N said:

Hi everyone,

Casual lurker. Applied quietly into Carleton and UofT, and some other counselling psychology programs that all rejected me. I broke half way through UBCO after I got an offer at an online counselling psychology program at Yorkville. Carleton waitlisted me. No biggie. Monday came, I got notification that UofT decision has come out a week ago. I opened the website expecting more disappointment. Little did I know it was a 20 page package of admission. I was whatever…

Backstory here is I am from Surrey in BC. Not super knowledgeable about social work as a profession, kind of stumbled my way into advocacy work but I am a failed psychology major through and through. Did not know counselling psychology was a different thing than other schools of psychology. Found out after 6,000 hours of work in addictions field that I wanted to do crisis and trauma counselling. Apparently social work was the degree I should have gotten. 

So I scrambled and applied all the schools above, hoping one would take me in. I just want to be in the helping profession. Guys… I did not know UofT is the cream de la crème of social work world. 

*The reason I’m even posting here is because of I’m worried reputation of schools is going to affect my ability to find clients. I have no doubt in my skills and employability. 

Reputation and degree creditability, tuition cost, and job opportunities... U of T wins. The MA from Yorkville does not have a great reputation honestly. It's a high cost, online degree, from a private university. It's known as a "last ditch effort" for many people who wanted to go into grad school for careers in counselling and psychology. Many employers know this as well. There's typically more opportunities for an RSW than a RP as well, especially in settings such as hospitals and community agencies. That being said, if you plan on going into private practice I don't think it will matter much. The vast majority of clients are not familiar with these things because they aren't in the field. 

I noticed that you would be moving provinces to attend U of T, so that's obviously something you should consider as well when making your choice. 

Best of luck! 

5 hours ago, Jules N said:

Hi everyone,

Hey there long time lurker myself, I want to validate that it sounds like from your back ground that social work is really where you need to be! Whether that is with U of T or Yorkville is a matter of your needs and goals.

In that, yes one school does have a wildly better reputation than the other and it still may not be a good fit for you. With this, if you are only planning on entering private practice Yorkville should be fine.

Hot take maybe: it is my experience that most individuals seeking therapy do not know the difference between the schooling of an MSW and counselling psychology within private practice. They're really just concerned with who they vibe with and if they are knowledgeable enough to help them. And so where you graduated matters little.

However, if you are planning to pursue further schooling or social work specific employmemt Yorkville may very much hinder you, as some institutions may specify a counselling psych background not enough. Further, Yorkville particularly, (and I won't mince words here) I have always heard it referred to as the school people go to if they cannot get in anywhere else.

As I said it really comes down to what is best for you and your goals. Good luck!

I hope this helps!