MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

Hi everyone!

I am so late to this group but I thought I'd share my results (or lack thereof) so far. I am another one of the U of T wait listers for the 2-year msw and I am still trying to remain hopeful :( I got rejected from Carleton way back in February and I am now waiting on York and UBCO (both for the 2-year obviously).

The waiting has been so rough and I really just want to know if I have a chance anywhere!

Wishing everyone the best of luck :) 

Edited by TH_MSW2022

On 4/6/2022 at 7:14 AM, MSWfingerscrossed said:

This is obviously fully going to be dependent on your unique situation, but getting a BSW significantly increases your odds of getting into a MSW. And there are several funded MSWs across the country (depending on if you're willing to move or not) as well as large government funding (NSERC, OGS - ontario, etc.) so you may not have to pay for the MSW at all. You run the risk of compromising BSW grades and thus your competitiveness for MSW funding if you try to work during the BSW, though, so that is of course an additional consideration. There is a lot to consider but I would recommend the BSW, even if just so you can register upon graduation and get higher paying jobs to work for a few years before your MSW.

On 4/6/2022 at 11:24 AM, HopeisthewaytoCope said:

Hey there! Congrats on receiving a post-grad BSW admission at UBC! While I don't have an info about the UBC program, I will say I also graduated recently (last year) and applied for a msw while in my undergrad. At that time, I was waitlisted with all due reason. From what you have said, I think a bsw post grad option, will still allow you to pursue a msw after and there are so many more schools that offer advanced msw which I believe you will qualify for. So thats something to consider, when it comes to the opportunities and doors it will open. Finances are a huge thing, which I completely relate to you. If that is the most important thing, I would weigh the cost of both options and see which one is more feasible for you.

Thank you both for your input, very much appreciated :) Still haven't heard from UBCO (even though I applied in Oct!) so as of now I will be probably taking the offer at UBC. 

Edited by MSWapplicant1998

I received conditional admission to UBCO 2 year program yesterday morning and I was given until april 28th to decide on my offer. I applied Dec 3rd, I'm currently in the process of questioning one of the conditions given as it wasn't on the admissions requirements and doesn't quite make sense...i haven't heard back from them yet, so i honestly have no idea what is going to happen. 

8 minutes ago, MSW2022 said:

Congrats to you both!! That's beyond exciting. Do you and @AwaitingMSW1 mind sharing your stats? 

So I’m fairly new to GradCafe, but I think this is everything relevant with regards to my stats!

I’m a domestic student, 2022 BSW grad (just finishing up my practicum now) and I had a previous 5 year long career in nursing at the college level (RPN). Cumulative hours between helping profession and volunteering was about 7500. My primary volunteer experience was in a grassroots feminist organization and being a committee member for my local Pride. Overall average for the BSW has steadily been at an 84 (my school doesn’t report it as a GPA, so unsure there). My 700-hour practicum was in corrections social work. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

On 4/8/2022 at 7:15 PM, MSW2022 said:

Congrats to you both!! That's beyond exciting. Do you and @AwaitingMSW1 mind sharing your stats? 

Thank you! Sure. My GPA was a 10 out of a 12 point scale, I have about  7000 hrs of work experience. I worked at children's aid and I am currently working in the hospital as a social worker. This was my second year applying to master's programs, but first year applying to Windsor. I have a BSW, SSW and a BA from past schooling. 

48 minutes ago, WanderingSocialWork said:

Hi everyone,

I have been accepted at Dal & UBCO and am having a hard time deciding. If anyone has any info on either program, especially the placement opportunities & whether Dal sufficiently prepares students for clinical practice, that would be amazing! 

Congratulations! When did you get accepted to UBCO and when did you apply?

From my own research that I’ve done, Dal has a lot of courses that could be geared towards clinical social work. Dal also has a clinic that is associated with the school which could be a great opportunity to learn more clinical skills in a hands-on setting. 

UBCO is obviously a clinical program, with clinically-oriented placements. I guess it just depends on what you are hoping for in regards to potentially moving provinces, perhaps look into professors who align with your interests, etc etc. I wish you the best of luck and hope this was a little helpful!

I have not heard from UBCO yet and just emailed them (don't plan to attend but I want to know regarding if I was a strong applicant or not) has anyone else not heard? my status says 'submitted' but when I click on review it says 'in progress' (it has been like this for months). I believe I submitted everything in Jan? 

2 minutes ago, teaandSW21 said:

I have not heard from UBCO yet and just emailed them (don't plan to attend but I want to know regarding if I was a strong applicant or not) has anyone else not heard? my status says 'submitted' but when I click on review it says 'in progress' (it has been like this for months). I believe I submitted everything in Jan? 

I also haven’t heard anything yet. I’d love to know what information they provide you!

40 minutes ago, ChipDip said:

I also haven’t heard anything yet. I’d love to know what information they provide you!

just heard back! I was told end of april for decisions to be finalized and that they are on a rolling basis. 

3 hours ago, MSWapplicant1998 said:

Hm... It's so strange I haven't heard back if it's on a rolling basis cause I applied in October. My status has also not changed at all. 

it's so annoying LOL, like 'mid april' suddenly becomes end of april... 

Hi everyone,

This is my first year applying for the MSW program and this thread is like a gem to me. I've been relying on the information in this forum since I started my application. Now that I've received all the results from the universities have applied to, I thought I should share them with you guys. 

I'm an international student. My stats are:

GPA: 3.5 (out of 4.00)
Bachelor's degree of Arts (English literature)(graduated in 2014)
6,900 hours in migration assistance
2,080 hours in consular assistance (prisoners, elders and distressed clients)
IELTS score: 7.5 (overall)

I applied for 2-year MSW programs and here are my results:

U of C : accepted
Dal: accepted
U of Manitoba: rejected

For any MSW first timer applicants or international students who want more information, I'm happy to assist with any question that you have (SOPs, program information, etc). I wish you all the best of luck!

Edited by vesperlism

Hi fellow MSW friends ❤️ 

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I applied for the part-time, online MSW program at Laurier in October and have been anxiously awaiting the decision in the coming months. I acknowledge the extreme competitiveness of this program but I'm still hopeful! ?

Do I have this right - you receive an email to check LORIS if you got in, but snail mail if you haven't been accepted? I'm hoping the decisions come sooner that later this year but I'm not holding my breath as I've seen previous year's cohorts received the news in June. 

EEEEEEEK GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! ?

Hi everyone ?

Thought I’d share my results so far (all 2 year MSW programs):

- UBCO - offer of admission (on April 4, 2022) 

- U of T - wait list 

I haven’t heard anything from Laurier yet but I think I plan on accepting UBC regardless. Anyone else on here plan on accepting UBC?? 

Hi everyone! Longterm lurker, all of my results are in now so I thought I'd share. 

I just got accepted into the two-year MSW at Laurier!! Got the email this morning at 10:45 (last name L)

I've been waitlisted at King's and UofT, and rejected at York (which I expected considering their cohort size). 

I actually did my undergrad at Laurier so I was initially hoping for some new scenery haha but it's such a fantastic school, super stoked about my first acceptance. 

27 minutes ago, AspiringMSW7 said:

Hi everyone! Longterm lurker, all of my results are in now so I thought I'd share. 

I just got accepted into the two-year MSW at Laurier!! Got the email this morning at 10:45 (last name L)

I've been waitlisted at King's and UofT, and rejected at York (which I expected considering their cohort size). 

I actually did my undergrad at Laurier so I was initially hoping for some new scenery haha but it's such a fantastic school, super stoked about my first acceptance. 

Congrats on your acceptance!! I was also waitlisted at UofT and now I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from Laurier, keeping my fingers crossed this week