MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

1 hour ago, EMWC said:

Received an acceptance to the Laurier 2-year MSW! I have already accepted Carleton but need to have a re-think about this.. Laurier was my first choice initially but I was enticed by Carleton's funding.. For anyone deliberating, I reached out to some alumni via program Facebook groups and I have found it VERY helpful. Need to do that now for Laurier before I make a final decison I think.

Congrats to everyone who has heard back from Laurier and York!! ❤️

Congrats! Did you apply to Laurier's online or in-person program? Good luck on your final decision:)

16 minutes ago, confusedsamosa said:

Anyone else still haven't heard from Laurier about the 2-year MSW? Starting to lose hope... :(

I haven't heard from them either (last name T) - I am expecting a rejection. Someone wrote earlier in the thread that Laurier sends acceptances via email and rejections via snail mail. I'm assuming that if I haven't heard from them, that I can expect a letter soon lol 

5 minutes ago, priawet said:

I haven't heard from them either (last name T) - I am expecting a rejection. Someone wrote earlier in the thread that Laurier sends acceptances via email and rejections via snail mail. I'm assuming that if I haven't heard from them, that I can expect a letter soon lol 

Oh interesting, I wonder why that is. I'm guessing if I don't hear back by Friday I likely didn't get in. 

15 hours ago, EMWC said:

Received an acceptance to the Laurier 2-year MSW! I have already accepted Carleton but need to have a re-think about this.. Laurier was my first choice initially but I was enticed by Carleton's funding.. For anyone deliberating, I reached out to some alumni via program Facebook groups and I have found it VERY helpful. Need to do that now for Laurier before I make a final decison I think.

Congrats to everyone who has heard back from Laurier and York!! ❤️

Hey!! Congrats on your acceptances!! It’s such a tough decision but an incredibly opportunity to have options :)

I was also accepted to Laurier yesterday and am trying to decide between it and UBCO. Do you mind me asking which fb groups you were able to contact alumni through? I am only seeing private ones that I can’t see members but I agree it would be so helpful to have the insight!

I applied to the UofT 2 Year Non-BSW program and Laurier's program. Found out recently that I did not get accepted into the UofT program; I am still waiting to hear back from Laurier but in realizing all this competitiveness and how people have so many more relevant volunteer/work experiences than I do, the chances are seeming increasingly slim of me getting into that one either. 

It was a kind of a leap of faith that I took in applying, as I decided I want to go into counselling/therapy and after researching the MSW and Counselling Psychology, the MSW seemed like the best bet with more opportunities and best overall fit for my interest of study. I have been working for a few years now since finishing undergrad in not a very relevant field/job but there were still some transferrable human service/customer service related skills there. My past volunteer experiences are social services related but not super directly correlated with the line of work I am trying to get into, so I anticipate myself having to strengthen my application with more volunteer work and related work experience/skills before feeling more confident to re-apply. Also, the required research methods course I feel lowers my chances too as my highest mark was a couple minus signs below that recommended grade mark - so it is advised that I re-take that course before I even consider re-applying? 

At this point, I'm not feeling very confident about my application/experiences/references to re-apply next round. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on what my options are. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as my attempt to apply this round was trying to get to the next place, but currently I am caught between the desire to get to that final destination and the feeling of being burnt out (from my horrible work-life-relationships-self care balance these last few years that I am still trying to recover my own mental and physical health from). 

I'm hoping someone here may be able to provide some advice to me. I was reflecting on this and I realized it is a bit ironic that I am being driven to go into a helping profession right now when it's clear to me that I myself, am not totally in a well-balanced state of being mental/emotional/physical health-wise. I feel so exhausted that when I think about everything I have to do next, it feels overwhelming and I'm not sure I can do it. For example, re-taking a university course and volunteering in a related mental health position on top of working when I still have my own stuff to manage feels like a lot. I'm currently unemployed and looking for full-time work, and I am wanting to move out to live on my own soon, so there is also that. I'm also feeling anxiety and pressure over that the full-time job I am looking for right now should be perfectly related to social work/counselling in some way so that it can help me for the next time I apply.

Does anyone know what kind of positions and organizations might be helpful for strengthening my application next time around? Or would it not really matter if I am going to say, volunteer for a crisis line anyway? Given some of the posts I've read here, it almost feels like I should be volunteering for at least 1-2 years to get the minimum competitive amount of hours required. I saw someone mentioning that they had gotten a Social Service Worker diploma before they re-applied, so I was thinking that could be an option for me too, if I try to apply for that instead and gain some field-placement experience, some outside volunteer experience as well and then re-apply . But I'm not sure if re-applying right after a diploma without the relevant work experience will be useful.

Has anyone re-appliers here gone through a similar situation in their process/journey? Would it be my best bet to just take it slow and accumulate the experiences first needed? Not sure if anyone can relate to this and if it's a sign I am not yet ready for grad school, but given that my work-life balance still needs work I was very nervous about the idea of going back to school since undergrad itself took a toll on my physical and mental health. As someone with a personal connection to mental health, I'm wondering if me still being in a thick of my own healing journey right now is also a bad idea for me to totally devote myself to chasing this career where it requires a certain level of presence, capacity and competence to help others. 

4 hours ago, priawet said:

My last name is C and I'm also waiting to hear back, expecting a rejection. Someone said they just received an acceptance today and their last name is B so maybe there is still hope. My guess was that Laurier accepts more mature students since they base a lot of their application on the experience, and class size is only 25 too

On 4/4/2022 at 12:26 PM, MSW2022UofT said:

Hey I totally know how you feel about not wanting to waste a year in between studies. After finishing undergrad I ended up missing the application cycle for 2021 and ended up doing a post grad program at humber. I then applied for UofT late last year and got accepted for fall 2022. I am glad things worked out but still needed to have a back up plan.

In terms of getting advanced standing for a MSW you will have to do a BSW. College diplomas/certificates won't allow for advanced standing. However if you are interested in doing a BSW I believe several schools will give you direct entry into 3rd year after the SSW diploma.

I think its always great to get as much work experience as possible to build your resume up. Most SSW course also offer placements which will be great for your application.

Hey I saw your post and wanted to ask what post-grad program you did at Humber (was it a 1 or 2 year program?) and whether you had any volunteer and/or work experiences before re-applying to UofT. Was your undergrad degree directly related to social work/psychology that helped you in your application?

I'm sort of in relatable situation. Finished undergrad a few years ago and started working full-time as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I haven't done any volunteering since university days and my work experience was kind of related in human services but the job and field itself was completely outside of social work. Felt burnout from work, then realized I want to be a therapist/go into counselling work so applied to 2 MSW programs. I was rejected from the UofT 2 year program, and am at a crossroads. I've been on a health break and am currently looking for a new full-time job.

After reading some of these posts, I'm considering the idea of going for a SSW diploma first, and then re-applying to UofT afterwards. Or possible working another job first, and then volunteering and focusing on getting my own mental health and well-being together alongside that time. I'm just worried about not having the relevant work experience (or being able to find a job right now within the field) and also the fact that I might have to retake the required research methods course, just cause my highest mark in my undergrad course was a couple minus signs below the recommended grade mark. Although, I would prefer not to re-do a course but will if I have to. So I'm between working more for experience first or going for a diploma (I gotta look into it but I believe if I apply in the next while I could get in for Fall 2022?) Do you think the chances of getting accepted are bolstered just by having a SSW diploma? Not sure if I should bet on it as I do come from a non-BSW background with some human service volunteer experiences. Most of my work experience so far was in customer service/working with kids and admin work.

10 minutes ago, priawet said:

I just found out I was accepted to Laurier via email! I was not expecting this at all! This is my first acceptance and my last school. I was rejected from Carleton, waitlisted at Windsor. I'm shocked... 

Would you mind sharing your stats? Still waiting to hear and losing hope every hour.. :(

2 minutes ago, confusedsamosa said:

Would you mind sharing your stats? Still waiting to hear and losing hope every hour.. :(

I emailed them this morning asking when we would hear back cause, I thought I wasn't going to get in, and you know, why not? They said all admission decisions should be out by the end of next week so you will hear back soon!

Sure - I have ~9000 hours of paid experience (autism therapist, support worker, retail jobs) and 700 hours of unpaid experience (sibling mentor, girl guides leader, soup kitchen volunteer). My GPA is 75%. I barely met the minimum. 

2 minutes ago, priawet said:

I emailed them this morning asking when we would hear back cause, I thought I wasn't going to get in, and you know, why not? They said all admission decisions should be out by the end of next week so you will hear back soon!

Sure - I have ~9000 hours of paid experience (autism therapist, support worker, retail jobs) and 700 hours of unpaid experience (sibling mentor, girl guides leader, soup kitchen volunteer). My GPA is 75%. I barely met the minimum. 

Thank you for sharing, and letting me know. I don't have nearly that much paid experience in total hours, but who knows -- I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

Edited by confusedsamosa

22 hours ago, MSW29 said:

Received an offer of admission for Laurier’s 2-year this evening as well! My status has changed on LORIS and I was notified via email. I noticed there was no offer letter, just a status update and a button to submit my decision if I choose to accept.

I will be rejecting the offer though as I was admitted to other programs. Best of luck to those of you waiting!!!

Do you have a link to the LORIS login site with the PIN login? It keeps taking me onto the single sign-on requiring the wlu email, which I don't have 

I'm still waiting for Laurier and it's strange being it's fairly late now and my last name is also near the beginning of the alphabet. 

3 hours ago, lotus11 said:

I applied to the UofT 2 Year Non-BSW program and Laurier's program. Found out recently that I did not get accepted into the UofT program; I am still waiting to hear back from Laurier but in realizing all this competitiveness and how people have so many more relevant volunteer/work experiences than I do, the chances are seeming increasingly slim of me getting into that one either. 

It was a kind of a leap of faith that I took in applying, as I decided I want to go into counselling/therapy and after researching the MSW and Counselling Psychology, the MSW seemed like the best bet with more opportunities and best overall fit for my interest of study. I have been working for a few years now since finishing undergrad in not a very relevant field/job but there were still some transferrable human service/customer service related skills there. My past volunteer experiences are social services related but not super directly correlated with the line of work I am trying to get into, so I anticipate myself having to strengthen my application with more volunteer work and related work experience/skills before feeling more confident to re-apply. Also, the required research methods course I feel lowers my chances too as my highest mark was a couple minus signs below that recommended grade mark - so it is advised that I re-take that course before I even consider re-applying? 

At this point, I'm not feeling very confident about my application/experiences/references to re-apply next round. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on what my options are. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as my attempt to apply this round was trying to get to the next place, but currently I am caught between the desire to get to that final destination and the feeling of being burnt out (from my horrible work-life-relationships-self care balance these last few years that I am still trying to recover my own mental and physical health from). 

I'm hoping someone here may be able to provide some advice to me. I was reflecting on this and I realized it is a bit ironic that I am being driven to go into a helping profession right now when it's clear to me that I myself, am not totally in a well-balanced state of being mental/emotional/physical health-wise. I feel so exhausted that when I think about everything I have to do next, it feels overwhelming and I'm not sure I can do it. For example, re-taking a university course and volunteering in a related mental health position on top of working when I still have my own stuff to manage feels like a lot. I'm currently unemployed and looking for full-time work, and I am wanting to move out to live on my own soon, so there is also that. I'm also feeling anxiety and pressure over that the full-time job I am looking for right now should be perfectly related to social work/counselling in some way so that it can help me for the next time I apply.

Does anyone know what kind of positions and organizations might be helpful for strengthening my application next time around? Or would it not really matter if I am going to say, volunteer for a crisis line anyway? Given some of the posts I've read here, it almost feels like I should be volunteering for at least 1-2 years to get the minimum competitive amount of hours required. I saw someone mentioning that they had gotten a Social Service Worker diploma before they re-applied, so I was thinking that could be an option for me too, if I try to apply for that instead and gain some field-placement experience, some outside volunteer experience as well and then re-apply . But I'm not sure if re-applying right after a diploma without the relevant work experience will be useful.

Has anyone re-appliers here gone through a similar situation in their process/journey? Would it be my best bet to just take it slow and accumulate the experiences first needed? Not sure if anyone can relate to this and if it's a sign I am not yet ready for grad school, but given that my work-life balance still needs work I was very nervous about the idea of going back to school since undergrad itself took a toll on my physical and mental health. As someone with a personal connection to mental health, I'm wondering if me still being in a thick of my own healing journey right now is also a bad idea for me to totally devote myself to chasing this career where it requires a certain level of presence, capacity and competence to help others. 

Hey there! First, until you hear from Laurier, you still have a chance to be accepted, so fingers crossed you hear some good news! 

I've heard that volunteering for a crisis center/line, like Kid's Help Phone, is really good experience on someone's CV if interested in counselling. You could also take a look at some community outreach jobs as the experience required is sometimes a bit flexible and you could structure your cv in a way to make it work. 

In terms of schools/programs, if you're able to relocate then i would definitely suggest applying to more MSW programs next year. I know UofT and Laurier are fairly popular programs, so it may be harder harder get into. Also, have you looked at the fast track BSW degrees? I know Lakehead has a program and likely there are other schools that have it. It's shorter than a 4-year BSW and is for people with a bachelors already. The good thing with those programs is not only would you likely get social work practical experience for your CV but you could also apply to advanced standing MSW programs after, and not the 2 year MSWs.

5 hours ago, lotus11 said:

Hey I saw your post and wanted to ask what post-grad program you did at Humber (was it a 1 or 2 year program?) and whether you had any volunteer and/or work experiences before re-applying to UofT. Was your undergrad degree directly related to social work/psychology that helped you in your application?

I'm sort of in relatable situation. Finished undergrad a few years ago and started working full-time as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I haven't done any volunteering since university days and my work experience was kind of related in human services but the job and field itself was completely outside of social work. Felt burnout from work, then realized I want to be a therapist/go into counselling work so applied to 2 MSW programs. I was rejected from the UofT 2 year program, and am at a crossroads. I've been on a health break and am currently looking for a new full-time job.

After reading some of these posts, I'm considering the idea of going for a SSW diploma first, and then re-applying to UofT afterwards. Or possible working another job first, and then volunteering and focusing on getting my own mental health and well-being together alongside that time. I'm just worried about not having the relevant work experience (or being able to find a job right now within the field) and also the fact that I might have to retake the required research methods course, just cause my highest mark in my undergrad course was a couple minus signs below the recommended grade mark. Although, I would prefer not to re-do a course but will if I have to. So I'm between working more for experience first or going for a diploma (I gotta look into it but I believe if I apply in the next while I could get in for Fall 2022?) Do you think the chances of getting accepted are bolstered just by having a SSW diploma? Not sure if I should bet on it as I do come from a non-BSW background with some human service volunteer experiences. Most of my work experience so far was in customer service/working with kids and admin work.

Hey so it was my first time applying to UofT. I did my undergrad in psychology had about 3 years of paid (intake work, peersupport)/volunteer(crisis responding) work in the field. 

I decided on a whim to apply to Humber in the event that I didn't get into UofT. Really didn't feel I could do much with a BA in Psychology. I am currently finishing up the Mental Health and Addictions postgraduate program there. It is 1 year with a summer placement and is specifically for people with a undergraduate degree. I am not sure if it helped boost my application for UofT but I think it helped to add more stuff to my resume. From what I have heard having a resume with lots of experience, strong personal statement and good references is what admissions really looks at. You can do the SSW course and potentially get direct entry into second year depending on your degree. For me I did not want to go back to college for too long and so a 1 year program made sense for me. You also mentioned your research methods mark was below the cut off. They definitely look at that and your stats or research method has to be a mid B or higher. I retook my research methods course in my final year to make sure I met that B requirement.

Finally, I agree finding a job in the field is hard. If you have a few hours to spare each week you can do crisis responding at home with Kids Help Phone or in person at a Distress Line. It is heavy work but prepared me a lot for work in the field. I am not sure if I answered everything but let me know if you have any other questions and I will do my best!

On 4/14/2022 at 5:04 PM, Jordyn_ said:

Hi! Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for the 2-year foundational MSW program at the University of Calgary (starting May 2022)? Looking to connect with some students starting the program, thanks!

As far as I know there isn’t, but if you find one or create one please post on here because I’ve been looking also! 

On 4/14/2022 at 4:51 PM, lotus11 said:

I am on a similar position. finished undergrad 2019 from UofT, worked full time at various stores, and part time gigs. covid hit and there wasn't much to do. applied UofT masters first time this year, got waitlisted. I also applied to SSW (fast track ones) and got accepted at George brown. Gonna start it next month (6 weeks) and then 2 semesters (8 months) from September.
Also if you do apply for the 8 months-6 week program, you will finish like 600 hours of placements, so that should definitely give the relevant experiences if you are to apply to masters for social work. 

Or if you dont want to do SSW, just look for front line workers like Relief support workers and shelter works even for like 2 days a week while you work some other works to pay the bills. This should give you some experiences. Helping other figure their stuffs out will also probably help your mental health a bit. 

Just writing to let you know there are so many people in the similar situation who feel lost lol. take care

On 4/12/2022 at 7:57 AM, Megan28 said:

Hi everyone ?

Thought I’d share my results so far (all 2 year MSW programs):

- UBCO - offer of admission (on April 4, 2022) 

- U of T - wait list 

I haven’t heard anything from Laurier yet but I think I plan on accepting UBC regardless. Anyone else on here plan on accepting UBC?? 

Congrats for both of those! I accepted UBCO a little bit ago :)